Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
tail3.jpg

tail1.jpg

tail4.jpg

tail2.jpg

He had some retained shed for a week or so (his whole body and tail shed except for the last half of the tail), and some of it came off today - and it is very dark underneath it.

Is this normal for the situation ? Should I be worried ?

There is still some shed on the very tip of his tail. Could this single layer really be causing a big problem ? I have been giving him baths and gently trying to help, but I do not want to pick at it. Should I be more helpful ?

Cammy

It is noticeably darker, but it doesn't look like tail rot if that's what you are worried about. It won't hurt to start a diluted betadine bath (1 part betadine, 10 parts water) just in case it is the very start of an infection though. Obviously continue to keep an eye on it. If the tip starts to shrivel or the darkness spreads any farther up the tail, I'd get it checked out by a vet. Hopefully it's just a natural change in coloration but it never hurts to be extra precautious.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, I'll try that. :)

I took a few pictures of him during his bath to try to get the colour to show up better :

tailinbath.png

tailinbath2.png

His tail has always been a little dark and dull looking, but it seemed like such a big change since last shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom