I picked up my baby yesterday. He’s about 3 months and I just noticed his tail looks like this. He is a dark colour so it’s hard to see and very tiny (16g). I know lots of babies have slightly wonky tails and I’m fine with that, but I am concerned it maybe the start of tail rot? What do you think? I am more than happy to take him to the vet and/or back to the breeder to ask advice, but wanted to know what you think In case I am just being dramatic. Thanks
Hes got a tail pinch it looks like - keep an eye on it- it may fall off in time and if it starts to turn black on the end and the black starts to move up the tail get some raw unfiltered honey on it - Manuka is a good one - no crickets in the tank for feeding - I am going to post some info on tail rot - if you haft to take a pic of it now and watch it
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.
2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs
How to identify tail rot:
1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.
2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.
What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended
For more info, please see the link: Bearded Dragon Tail Rot: What the Dark Tail Mean & Treatment
T Ask yourself these questions:
Was the tail recently injured?
Was a part of the tail open (eg wound/scrape/cut)
Was flesh exposed?
Is the tail constantly dark? or does the darkness ever go away (eg when in the tank, different environments)
If you didn't answer yes to basically all of those questions, it's not tail rot.
Tail rot is extremely rare. It's an infection of the flesh, from a wound or injury to the tail.
Tail rot is really kind of just a fancy name for an infected wound, one of which is affecting the tail rot