Is he still adjusting?

ainsjo55

Beardie name(s)
Ivan
A95BA16C-5E8A-4B92-ABDD-17572BD8C3B2.jpeg
This when I first got him (two weeks ago) he was very receptive to me picking him up until he started shedding. I know sometimes they get anxious as they're shedding so the change in behavior wasn't odd since he is still eating well and is very active. I think he's done shedding now though and has been hissing at me and running away any time I try to pick him up. Is he acting like this because he's still adjusting or should I be concerned since he was very loving to me before?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
This when I first got him (two weeks ago) he was very receptive to me picking him up until he started shedding. I know sometimes they get anxious as they're shedding so the change in behavior wasn't odd since he is still eating well and is very active. I think he's done shedding now though and has been hissing at me and running away any time I try to pick him up. Is he acting like this because he's still adjusting or should I be concerned since he was very loving to me before?
Yes he is still adjusting --- work w/ him slowly and start hand feeding so he can learn to trust you -- get him some BSFL and hand feed those - you can get a piece of clothing w/ your smell on it or a fleece blanket put in his hide -- it may take him awhile to adjust to his tank and surroundings - a good UVB NO coils and good surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer is going to help w/ this -

ainsjo55

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ivan
Yes he is still adjusting --- work w/ him slowly and start hand feeding so he can learn to trust you -- get him some BSFL and hand feed those - you can get a piece of clothing w/ your smell on it or a fleece blanket put in his hide -- it may take him awhile to adjust to his tank and surroundings - a good UVB NO coils and good surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer is going to help w/ this -
I was using tongs but ill try hand feeding instead, along with trying the clothing thing. I've been monitoring his tank set up well and got a IR thermometer. Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How often are you handling him ? Some dragons don't like being picked up too often so just go slow, as Karrie mentioned, and set your hand in near him. Then slowly pick him up, scooping under him or letting him crawl up your arm but only once a day at most. Be careful about hand feeding, some dragons will begin to nip or bite fingers so always just use a flat hand with food on the palm rather than from your fingers.

Minimum3

Hatchling Member
Okay, so this is how it's going to be for a minute. All the advise you've been given is valid, but it will help you to understand why he is doing it. He is still a baby, and his only instinct is to eat, sleep, and survive. It will be the better part of a year before he catches on that your not going to try to eat him. Just keep loving him and in about 6 months if that behavior persist get an adult bearded dragon and let them see how the adult interacts with you. (DON"T LET THEM INTERACT!) But let the baby see the adult being picked up. Let the baby see the adult be... kissed, hugged, fed, handled, bathed. Anything that you're having an issue with and the baby with mimic the behavior. But until they get out of the "everything is going to eat me" phase there isn't a whole lot you can do but wait them out. A baby beardy is one of the most frustrating and heart breaking things in the world, cause all you want to do is love them and they're like NO!"

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's true that some babies will be skittish or aggressive but many will be sweethearts, calm + adventurous right from the start. I've raised many of them. As far as a baby learning from an adult dragon that is not anything that will benefit the baby or the adult. The adult dragon would see a baby as prey and a baby would either be indifferent or afraid of the adult. They never should be near each other.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom