Is he eating enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tison

Hey guys i just registered on here and i was reading some reeding posts some of you posted and my BD is not eating like all of yours. I just got him June 18th from petsmart. i have a heat light and a UVB light. He only eats like 2 crickets a day and the 2nd day i had him i had him eating little things of apples out of my hand. does that sould like enough food?

My tank
2mw8rjq.jpg

Heat bulb i use
afhnab.jpg

UVB bulb i use
2z4g0a8.jpg

How i have my lights, heat light is on far right then UVB is the other circle light beside it
v3k2dk.jpg

My baby
j8p0qw.jpg

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi and welcome to the Family !
Okay, first off a change needs to be made with your UVB. This is a coil, and coils have been linked to several health issues, so go ahead and turn that off, and return for one of these.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html
You will need a fixture for this as well. Any from Walmart ( lights of America, remove the lens,) Lowes or Home Depot will do fine.

Also if that is a heat rock, remove that, and replace with an ordinary rock from outside, that has been baked in the oven @ 250 for an hour to kill bacteria and parasites.
Cool and place for a basking rock.

Okay so you have only had him for a week, and his belly looks nice and full, but here is a link to a great site to help you choose healthy foods for him and snacks:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Now as he has only been with you a week, he could very well be still experiencing "relocation stress". Once this is done with, normally around a week or two, he will start eating like a champ, around 100 feeders ( no longer than the distance between his little eyes) a day.

Other than that, I see a good therm, and your substrate is on the mark.
Janie.

tison

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the reply. I actually knew about the heat rock being bad before i bought it but the thing is i leave my AC on all he time at night so it gets a bit chilly so if he gets cold so if he needs to warm up theres a spot. the lowest i saw was 71 but other than that its usually like 75 in his cage when i wake up. O i also put a towel over the lid one that you dry off with when you get out of the shower to maybe help keep it warmer and i think it works cuz i wake up sometimes freezing and hes still in the 70's

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello and Welcome to the forum :D

Congrats on your new beardie! As Janie mentioned your beardie may just be experiencing some relocation stress. This can last a few days to a few weeks.

When he does start eating more feed him 3 x a day, all the crickets he can consume in a 10-15 minute period of time. They can eat alot! You also need to be dusting his live feeders with Calcium and Multivitamins. Dust with Calcium 5 x a week(only one feeding a day) and Multivitamins 3 x a week(only one feeding a day)

I am not familiar with your thermometer. Does it have a wire and probe?

As for night time temps....as long as it does not go below 65 degrees you do not need any extra heat.Beardies like it cooler when they sleep. If you were to need heat, a CHE(ceramic heat emitter) is what you would want to use, it produces only heat and no light.

tison

Original Poster
Ok i brought that bulb back to petsmart and got exo terra repti glo 24" bulb, 33% UVA 10%UVB

ajo

I'm sorry to inconvenience you again, but you want the ReptiSUN 10.0, not the ReptiGLO... Petsmart should stock both.

You will want to monitor the temperature of the basking spot. Either move the thermo you have to where he basks, taking note of the high and low temperature for the day, or invest in another thermo which has a probe that can be placed in your beardies basking spot. The temperature should be around 95-105. However, it should not exceed 115 degrees, though I doubt it will with A/C on and a 50w bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom