Is he addicted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that beardies can get addicted to certain foods and now I think Gladstone is addicted to fruit. He has not eaten greens for weeks now but holds out for blueberries, raspberries, grapes, cantaloupe- all the yummy sweet stuff. He used to go crazy for nasturtiums, dandelions etc but now he just refuses. He even will not eat those little "Beardie Bites" he used to love. He snacks on a few crickets but often leaves as many as he eats.
So my question is, I could make him go cold turkey - don't let him have any fruit at all- but how long is too long? Should I just give in after a couple of weeks and let him eat dessert all the rest of his life? he is 3 1/2 (same age as a couple of beardies I just saw on another post who refuse their greens) and very healthy and strong.
One thing more - I think his cage is too big and maybe he is not getting enough heat. Maybe that is affecting his general appetite and makes him want the sweet stuff??? Does that make sense?

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Mrs. Tiggywinkle":ehmwzs76 said:
I have heard that beardies can get addicted to certain foods and now I think Gladstone is addicted to fruit. He has not eaten greens for weeks now but holds out for blueberries, raspberries, grapes, cantaloupe- all the yummy sweet stuff. He used to go crazy for nasturtiums, dandelions etc but now he just refuses. He even will not eat those little "Beardie Bites" he used to love. He snacks on a few crickets but often leaves as many as he eats.
So my question is, I could make him go cold turkey - don't let him have any fruit at all- but how long is too long? Should I just give in after a couple of weeks and let him eat dessert all the rest of his life? he is 3 1/2 (same age as a couple of beardies I just saw on another post who refuse their greens) and very healthy and strong.
One thing more - I think his cage is too big and maybe he is not getting enough heat. Maybe that is affecting his general appetite and makes him want the sweet stuff??? Does that make sense?

Fruit can cause your dragon to have too much yeast and isn't advised to be fed very often. I never feed my bearded dragons fruit. I would advise stopping fruit 'cold turkey' and going back to greens and feeders.

Mrs. Tiggywinkle

Original Poster
Oh no . . . yeast??!! How will I know if he is infected?
Well, thanks for the replies. Back to the greens and bugs. He is in for a shock tomorrow :( :(

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Mrs. Tiggywinkle":49sfb2dj said:
Oh no . . . yeast??!! How will I know if he is infected?
Well, thanks for the replies. Back to the greens and bugs. He is in for a shock tomorrow :( :(

We can't always give them what they want. If we could, my blue tongue skink would get a bowl of mashed potatoes for dinner. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom