Is 4 to 10 crickets a day enough for a two month old beardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEHSTJ

We have a two month old baby bearded dragon and it doesn't seem to eat as much as other people have suggested is "normal". We offer it fresh dandelion greens and finely chopped carrots or fruit every day. We offer it crickets pinhead and 1/8 " three times a day dusting once a day five times a week (once a day) with calcium (Flukers calcium plus D3) and two times a week (once daily) with a multivitamin (Herptivite). Smaug will usually eat 3 or four crickets, twice a day and nothing at the third feeding. Is this normal? We have offered it silkworms which it ate (we have no more), butterworms - it had no interest in them and soldier fly larvae - which it also ate. We have not had any worms for half a week now.

The vivaruim is a 50 gal breeder tank, but half of it is blocked off to make the baby more secure. We are using a digital thermometer with the probe on the basking rock which reads between 100 and 107 degrees F and the cooler area is between 78 and 85 degrees F. There is a small log on the cooler side that also has a plant (artifical) which the baby lies on to sleep at night. The substrate is paper towel - changed every other day. We are using the Mega-Ray MVB for both a basking light and for UVA and UVB exposure. The light is 12 inches from the basking rock. Umm what else? We mist it twice a day and give Smaug a warm bath every other day. We take the baby out to feed it in a different container.

Smaug poops every day or every other day and it seems to look alright. I see all of these postings about how many crickets their baby beardies eat and I become concerned. We have had this baby for almost two weeks, as the first baby dragon they sold us was dying from impaction at the time of sale (poor baby died). If anyone could let me know if they have had a dragon that eats little, it would be a great relief and much appreciated.

Also, the baby is just over 6 inches. Smaug seems to be alert and is walking normally and is curious of its surroundings. If I duck down just out of sight, Smaug lifts it's head high up to get a peek at me. We love this little guy and have changed his whole vivarium from what was suggested (and purchased) from the pet store to doing our own research and finding what seems to make the most sense. I hope to hear from someone who had/has similar problems. Thanks! :p

msmaui

Juvie Member
When my baby was that small, he didn't eat any more crickets than that either. I ordered some Phoenix worms from Mulberry Farms and he loved those. It seemed to help his appetite a lot. He started eating crickets like they were going out of style. Good luck with your baby.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Smaug sounds like a dearie! Indeed, I would say 4-10 crickets a day is rather low, but two weeks is still early, and some dragons take a little more time to come around from relocation stress. Of course, from the sounds of it, Smaug is active and curious so I wouldn't think relocation stress is your issue. And your tank conditions are about perfect, all the right stuff. Although you could try for a slightly higher basking temp (105-110), I can't think of anything there that would directly cause a lack of appetite. I suppose you could take in a sample for a fecal, just to rule out parasites.

That said, a change of feeder, as mcmaui suggested, could really help. We feed phoenix worms as well, and beardie LOVES them, more so than her crickets. She's had growth issues due to a compact light we had originally, so we were very concerned about her eating more, and the crickets she would eat, but not many. The PWs however, get her very excited, and seem to really stimulate her appetite, for both PWs, and now again, crickets which she is enjoying for the first time in months. Nice thing about PWs is that you only need to dust with vites, as they are naturally high in calcium, and they are super low maintenance. Also, they are very small. Our 7 inch beardie eats the mediums, happily, and has been eating them since she was 6 inches (all of a month and a half ago, LOL), easily.

Here is a thread worth reading, if you're thinking about PWs: http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=98632&hilit=

We get ours at http://www.phoenixworm.com/servlet/StoreFront They send them priority mail, so you have them in a few days, and you don't have to pay for shipping. Two things I like in a feeder vendor! :mrgreen:

Best of luck!
Em

LJean

Extreme Poster
Oh, since you feed in another container, have you tried not looking while the baby is in there? Calypso would not eat while we were looking for the longest time. I would have to peek around the corner to check on her but if she saw me, she would not eat.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
LJean":7f9c8 said:
That and they are always fresh, nice looking worms. ;)

Too true!

LJean":7f9c8 said:
Oh, since you feed in another container, have you tried not looking while the baby is in there? Calypso would not eat while we were looking for the longest time. I would have to peek around the corner to check on her but if she saw me, she would not eat.

Ok, that is so cute... boy, but they can be stubborn! :?

Em

CEHSTJ

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advice. I'm sure that many (perhaps in the thousands) of bearded dragons have been saved due to this site and all of the knowledge that people are able to share. I am grateful (so is Smaug). Funny that you should mention not looking at Smaug while it is eating. I always have to be just out of sight and Smaug will walk over to the side of the container and look up to make sure I'm not peeking. If Smaug can see me it won't eat. If I'm out of sight it will go and catch crickets. When Smaug is finished eating it will try to climb the side of the container and then I put my and in, finger extended for it to climb on.

When I was reading up on the phoenix worm I found out that we have already fed one to Smaug. Phoenix worms are soldier fly larvae. Smaug loved it! When my husband went back to the pet store the next day, they were sold out. I will discuss purchasing them online with my husband and hopefully will be feeding them to Smaug soon!

Thanks once again!

Cheryl and Smaug :mrgreen: :blob8:

P.S. I have moved the light to increase the basking area temperature to be 110 degrees F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom