Introduction of new beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I was wondering, how long should I wait before introducing my new bearded dragon to my older one? I have a four year old male beardie named Godzilla, and this past Monday I got a ten month old[estimated] female beardie that I've named Clytie. Godzilla is quite a bit larger than her, and I don't want to overwhelm either of them so I'm waiting before I introduce them to one another.

Not to mention, the place that I got Clytie from doesn't take care of their animals at all; I took her to the vet the day after I got her and found out that she has early onset Metabolic Bone Disease. Luckily I have medicine and such for her, but her front legs are going to take a while to heal. Godzilla is also having some eye issues, so I want their health concerns to be resolved before I do anything - I want them both to be healthy and happy!

Is it okay if I introduce them to one another at a distance? Or through the glass? I'd like them to eventually meet [and hopefully get along], however I won't be housing them in the same terrarium for quite a while. Right now they're in separate rooms. I think waiting until Clytie's arms are better would be best, but I'm not sure if there's a specific time/age that is better to introduce newcomers?

Thanks in advance!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You would be well advised to keep them separated as they are not social creatures. They cannot share a vivarium due to one will dominate the other. Seeing how your new one is in poor health she needs to heal up and not be stressed.
Even seeing each other could cause stress on each of them.

GrapeReaction

Original Poster
Yes, I know they are not social hence why I am currently keeping them separate. Is there no possibility of eventually housing them in a much larger terrarium together? But again, I don't plan on even introducing them at all until Clytie is much, much healthier. Can I introduce them at all? How should I go about that? Sorry for all of the questions - while I've owned Godzilla for four years, I've never had a second dragon - much less a female.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I am not sure about when or if you could introduce them (this is what I have read about it), but I know you can't house them together. The small one needs to be of breeding age before you try breeding them (if this is why you got her) she is to young for that right now. If they know each other is there it will disrupt your 4 year Olds habits and cause stress on both of them unnecessarily . These are just my thoughts on what you are asking.

GrapeReaction

Original Poster
That's fair! I'm not sure if I will end up breeding them, just because of the huge age difference and all of the health issues. I know that the female has to be at least two years old before even attempting breeding, though. Thank you for your help! I will keep them completely separate for now, and if I decide in the future if I'd like to breed them or anything I'll go from there. I really appreciate your help! Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom