introducing male and female dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinsplus4

We have had a male beared dragon for awhile now, he's a little over a year old. We bought him a female today. The pet store said to put them together on the floor and see how they reacted to eachother then put them in the aquarium, so I did. Why they were on the floor the male (Rexy) neck got real dark grey and he would bounce his head up and down then he leaned up on one side like he was about to fall over. He even licked her on the head. The female acted as if she really didn't care that he was there. Once I put them in the aquarium together they were fine but now he keeps chasing her around and darting back and forth at her and bobbing his head up and down. My question is, is this normal? Should I take her out and try and later or just leave them alone and let them get used to each other?

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
I would definitely keep them separated. Very occasionally, two females can live together, but it's extremely rare. When males and females are kept together, the male can eventually harass and breed the poor female to death (dragons aren't very gentlemanly, lol).:(
Here's an awesome thread for more info on the topic! :) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154908
It also sounds like they're too young to breed, if that's what you're planning on doing.
(edited for spelling)

zabeardie

Hatchling Member
twinsplus4":11xlq2o3 said:
We have had a male beared dragon for awhile now, he's a little over a year old. We bought him a female today. The pet store said to put them together on the floor and see how they reacted to eachother then put them in the aquarium, so I did. Why they were on the floor the male (Rexy) neck got real dark grey and he would bounce his head up and down then he leaned up on one side like he was about to fall over. He even licked her on the head. The female acted as if she really didn't care that he was there. Once I put them in the aquarium together they were fine but now he keeps chasing her around and darting back and forth at her and bobbing his head up and down. My question is, is this normal? Should I take her out and try and later or just leave them alone and let them get used to each other?

Yes, it is normal for the male to bob his head at the female.
I am warning you that they WILL bite each other and there will be injuries. :(
Bearded dragons are very solitary and live their whole life (except mating season) alone. Unless it is mating season, you need to keep them in different cages. Also, his beard turning gray (and possibly coming out) is normal. Males try to be dominant and stay in control of their cage. Reason is that beardies fight for the better basking spot; territories also. The female will act like the male is not there; she doesn't really care unless they're mating.

Just contributing,

twinsplus4

Original Poster
wow thank you guys for the advice! and thank you snazzyglasses for the link!! I wish i came on here first before buying her. i feel awful now. taking her out right away. the people at the pet store need to learn more about beared dragons before they sell any more! my husband is at the store right now seeing what we can do about this. we definitely would not have bought her if we knew this info. we thought he was lonely and neede a companion. : (

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
twinsplus4":3dz4llnh said:
wow thank you guys for the advice! and thank you snazzyglasses for the link!! I wish i came on here first before buying her. i feel awful now. taking her out right away. the people at the pet store need to learn more about beared dragons before they sell any more! my husband is at the store right now seeing what we can do about this. we definitely would not have bought her if we knew this info. we thought he was lonely and neede a companion. : (
Don't feel bad! At least you care enough about your scaley babies to do your research. :) :)
And I agree, it's horrible that pet stores know nothing about the animals they sell. And they don't even seem to care that they're giving out incorrect information, either! :(

twinsplus4

Original Poster
@snazzyglasses...We are taking her back to the store tomorrow. She is in a seperate aquarium. The people at the pet store still insist that it is ok to keep them together all the time. The owner of the store even said she keeps hers together and has had no problems. She needs to do more research!!! If she read that link you sent me I would hope that she had a change of heart. Think I will print it our for her to read and see what her thoughts are then! I will definitely let everyone that asks me about my Rexy, not to put two of them together. Thank you again so very much for the link! :)

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
There are rare cases where peoples live together semi peacefully which is why some people insist its ok. The store owner has been lucky up until now but your always taking a risk keeping them together so it's really just best to not do it at all. Its ok to have two beardies just not together in the same tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom