Introducing different species question

Status
Not open for further replies.

towelie1234

Hello all!

I am new to this forum, and I searched around for similar questions/answers, but only found a few, and they didn't really answer my question...what I really want to do is house my bearded dragon with my water dragon and tree frog, and I thought mabye some of the more experienced reptile owners would have some advice about introducing them.

To start, I'll give you a little background on my pets and set-up. I have a 24+ inch green water dragon named Godzilla that I got for free along with a 7 by 6 by 2.5 foot enclosure which he happily shares with a 4 inch wide tree frog named Yoda. My 9 inch bearded dragon Osama currently lives by himself in a 3.5 by 1.5 by 1.5 foot tank (I believe it is female but I will have to check for sure tonite). What I would like to do, if it is possible, is introduce Osama to Godzilla and Yoda and hopefully get them to live together happily... I know that beardies are generally solitary creatures, but both lizards are pretty chillz and I think it could mabye work.

I will try and post some pictures later today or tomorow, but anyways my large enclosure is sort of divided in three sections...on the left there is a 2.5X2 foot area with coconut fibre (usually crawling with a couple dozen little mealies that he eats) where Yoda usually hangs out, with his water bowl, hollow log and low plants to hide under; then in the middle there is a large 2.5X3 foot water pond with rocks to climb on and a waterfall. Godzilla LOVES this pond while Yoda usually swims in his own water bowl. I also just put a bath plug in the bottom of the pond, so it is easier to clean more often; then on the far right is another 2.5X2 foot area with calcium sand substrate and Godzilla's food bowl. Godzilla rarely goes down there, only occasionally to eat, and Yoda never gets to that side of the pond (Gozilla spends 95% of the time hanging out in the jungle gym of branches I set up in the upper area of the enclosure near the lights). For lighting I have a UBV light on the frogs side, and a heat lamp on the other side where I want to put the beardie, and at night the enclosure is lit by blacklights (which looks very cool with the white calcium sand 8) ).

So now that you can picture my setup a little better... what I want to do is get the animals used to each other so my beardie can live on the calcium sand side to the right. I figure the enclosure is big enough they would be more likely to get along. For 1 week now they have had their tanks next to each other, giving all 3 animals clear view of each other... and so far just curious looks, no blackbearding or w/e when kept a short distance apart in the 2 separate enclosures. Yesterday I tried holding Osama in front of Godzilla, and Godzilla was totally cool with it. Osama however started bobbing his head, blackbearding, and eventually the big wimp ran up my arm to escape. At least it seems like Godzilla has no interest in hurting Osama, Osama is too large for him to eat anyways. Godzilla is pretty cool like that, he used to live with a basilisk that he slept with at night but then the basilisk went blind, fell in the pond and drowned when I was away :( . I have a chinchilla as well named Cheech that I keep across the room from him, and the first 2 nights it was there, I caught Godzilla out of his enclosure checking out Cheech... not mad or anything either, just looking at him curiously up close. i think there buddies :D . So Godzilla is pretty cool with other animals, except my cats, which once chased poor Godzilla around the house and halfway up a brick wall before I could catch him lol.

Anyways, It looks like Godzilla is OK with Osama, I just need to get Osama used to Godzilla (mabye Godzilla misses the basilisk and wants some company :( ). Also, I plan on altering the enclosure a bit for Osama, like a way to get in and out of the pond easily and safely, and some large rocks so he can get a bit closer to the heat light. I will also move Godzilla's food to the other side of the pond probably so he intrude on Osama's space less often, and put Osama's food bowl with some kind of little roof over top of it so Godzilla can't see it from his usual hang out up near the top of the cage.

If anyone has any advice for me or personal experience with introducing different species of lizards to bearded dragons, that would be awesome

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
I definately would say no, especially because they're different species with different climate needs, and even bigger would be the calcium sand which is a dragon killer sand.

towelie1234

Original Poster
Thanks for the fast replies! I didn't know that about calcium sand, guess I'll be switching that up with coconut fibre tonite. So it looks like its not a great idea to put them together so far...

Just out of curiosity though... does anybody have any success stories regarding housing a bearded dragon with a lizard of another species? I know, so far it seems like a bad idea to try it, but for the sake of scientific curiosity has anybody tried something like this and had it go OK?

No success story here as I haven't tried to house two separate species of lizards together and I wouldn't even attempt it, here's only one of the reasons why... Whether he's out and about or in his viv, my Harley (who's about 10 months old) will bob, beard, stomp and charge ANY other lizard that catches his attention (that would include our 3 other dragons, the iguana, the frilled dragons, the uromastyx and the water dragon).

And I know you say thay're both pretty chillz so you don't believe it'll be a problem but so was Harley until the day he decided he shouldn't have to tolerate any other lizard in his domain (which to his way of thinking is the entire house). And from that day on, he can't be out and about if any of the others are (this includes our 4 foot iguana, who Harley did indeed try to charge--crazy boy) and even then, when they're all in their enclosures except him, he'll beard, bob, stomp and charge their enclosures. We pretty much have to take Harley into a room where no other animals can be seen or heard.

They seem okay together now and if you put them together, it may go along fine for a while, no problems, and then one day you come home and one or both of them has decided they just didn't want to share anymore.

So again, I wouldn't risk it.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Bearded dragons need a different environment that tree frogs and water dragons. The humidity in the enclosure would be too high for a beardie and would result in respiratory problems. Also, the beardie is likely to try to eat the frog, which would be a disaster for the both of them.

Also, there are posts here from owners who housed more than one beardie together with disastrous results. I can't imagine their wanting a housemate from a different species.

RedInkAus

Hatchling Member
G'day mate,

Frogs and water dragons, tropical creatures requires high humidity. Bearded dragon arid - desert creature low humidity.
Frogs + Water dragons + bearded dragons = a bearded dragon with RI, missing frogs pressumed to be dinner, lunch or breakfast; or sick and dehydrated due to the high heat requirements of the bearded dragon, and a water dragon with missing toes or tail nips from a cranky, emdemicly solitary creature known as a bearded dragon. Put it all varying factors in the same equation it equals a disaster.

I have kept bearded dragons with a egernia hosmeri before and currently have a mate that has his with his Trachydosourus rugosa aspera so it can be done with varying success with some species just not this combination. The husbandry requirements are to different IMO.

Cheers

wingeddrgn

Hatchling Member
I agree that it is not a good idea. I had a water dragon (R.I.P. Spaz) and at the time 2 bearded dragons. One of the beardies liked him ok and they hung out together (out of their cages) and did ok( they were watched at all times) But my other beardie hated the water dragon. He would leap in the air to try to bite him....

towelie1234

Original Poster
Alright thats too bad. Thanks for all the replies though

Mabye I'll try and let them hang out outside their cages while I keep an eye on them... but ya definitly not house them together that sounds like its asking for problems

Quest

towelie1234":799b2 said:
Alright thats too bad. Thanks for all the replies though

Mabye I'll try and let them hang out outside their cages while I keep an eye on them... but ya definitly not house them together that sounds like its asking for problems

well i wouldn't even do that because beardies like to eat everything thats smaller than them and moves, so if the beardie is is bigger than your other pet he will try to eat em so be very very careful ....

towelie1234

Original Poster
No worries man, my water dragon is larger. Im not puttin the frog near the beardie tho even tho Yoda is one fat frog. Thanks tho, I will still be carelful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom