Input on my enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys, I just got my new bearded dragon about 2 weeks ago, and he/she is just a little over 6 inches, and want to know any input you guys have on my enclosure.

It is 55 gallons and 36 x 18 x 18

Temperatures are:
Basking spot: 105 F
Hot side area: 92
Cool side: 82

I have a long uv bulb and a 150 watt bulb for heat.

I would love to hear any input that you guys have!
Thanks!

Pictures:
full

full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! That looks great to me. That's the National Geographic tank isn't it? Very similar to mine. Are you using a T8 or a T5 UVB light? I highly recommend a T5 in a tank that size. It will provide great UVB output over the basking area and can be mounted right on top. A T8 isn't really strong enough for a tank that size unless you mount it inside and it sits about 6-8'' above the basking area. The T5 is a bit more expensive to start with but doesn't need replacing as often so it makes up the cost in replacement bulbs (12-18mo replacement instead of 6-8 mo). This is what I have http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Thesubwild

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2k0s631d said:
Welcome to the forum! That looks great to me. That's the National Geographic tank isn't it? Very similar to mine. Are you using a T8 or a T5 UVB light? I highly recommend a T5 in a tank that size. It will provide great UVB output over the basking area and can be mounted right on top. A T8 isn't really strong enough for a tank that size unless you mount it inside and it sits about 6-8'' above the basking area. The T5 is a bit more expensive to start with but doesn't need replacing as often so it makes up the cost in replacement bulbs (12-18mo replacement instead of 6-8 mo). This is what I have http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Thanks for the advice! It is the nat geo, and i love the front doors. I'm not sure which bulb I have but here is a link http://www.petsmart.com//WFS/PETUS/...-0?green=D827AC72-C58A-5320-B479-73CE28AA02B4

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's an 18'' T8. That bulb is OK (it's the same as the Zilla Desert 50) but it's best for small enclosures at closer distances. As I mentioned, that needs to be within about 6-8'' of the basking area to provide adequate UVB. For your tank I think the T5 is a better investment in the long run. I have one of those T8 bulbs/fixtures too and keep it on hand for travel and for emergencies.

Here's a photo of my setup for reference.
76248-8383156387.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks =). Darwin's nickname is bugger (or just bug sometimes) so I read the sign as bugger the dinosaur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom