Injured/sick monarch butterfly rescue

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
This is Cosmo the monarch butterfly, I rescued her off of the streets roughly 6 hours ago. She is very weak, she can hardly move let alone fly right now.

She is lethargic and struggles to keep herself up right, she is shaking which means she is increasing her body temperature but it has been on and off all day.

I don’t know how she is cold, outdoor temperatures are 27c and indoor temperatures are 23c. Cold should only be an issue with her if it is below 0.

Her wings are in tact, she doesn’t appear visibly wounded… She doesn’t appear very old so I’d be surprised if she is passing from natural causes. I don’t know what’s wrong!

I am not going to euthanize her, I believe she does have another chance of life! I got her to drink a sugar water formula which should at least boost her strength.

Any advice?
1693694194555.jpeg

Last edited:

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Update: Cosmo drank a bit more tonight, she is looking much better. She can lift herself up and crawl around but still can’t fly, she’s moved a few inches from where I put her which I consider a big improvement

She also excreted some discharge (butterfly poo) although it did come with some concern, it has some black substance in it which is far from normal. I’m going to keep a close eye on her if she makes it tonight.

1693698194996.jpeg

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Update: Cosmo drank a bit more tonight, she is looking much better. She can lift herself up and crawl around but still can’t fly, she’s moved a few inches from where I put her which I consider a big improvement

She also excreted some discharge (butterfly poo) although it did come with some concern, it has some black substance in it which is far from normal. I’m going to keep a close eye on her if she makes it tonight.

View attachment 83581
I dont know a thing about butterflies but bless you for taking her in

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
This is Cosmo the monarch butterfly, I rescued her off of the streets roughly 6 hours ago. She is very weak, she can hardly move let alone fly right now.

She is lethargic and struggles to keep herself up right, she is shaking which means she is increasing her body temperature but it has been on and off all day.

I don’t know how she is cold, outdoor temperatures are 27c and indoor temperatures are 23c. Cold should only be an issue with her if it is below 0.

Her wings are in tact, she doesn’t appear visibly wounded… She doesn’t appear very old so I’d be surprised if she is passing from natural causes. I don’t know what’s wrong!

I am not going to euthanize her, I believe she does have another chance of life! I got her to drink a sugar water formula which should at least boost her strength.

Any advice?
View attachment 83575
Update: Cosmo is improving quite a bit, I changed up her formula which seems to be helping. I mixed in banana as it is high in Chitin which strengthens the wings. I’m hoping that will help her fly..?

I also added strawberry juice and a bit more sugar for the energy boost, she could really use it. She isn’t very active, I’m going to try my best to change that. She excreted more discharge and this time it was clean!

I’m really hoping she makes it through the night! I’ll keep everyone posted.

Here is her recovery home:
1693701201019.jpeg

Here are more pictures because she is a sweetheart:
1693701282682.jpeg

1693701321591.jpeg

1693701728032.jpeg

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I dont know a thing about butterflies but bless you for taking her in
I’ll keep you posted, I am seeing much improvement! She can move around easier (though she still struggles) and I think she is forming some sort of trust with me? She will crawl willingly onto my hand, I think she knows I am trying to help.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo

Any advice?
View attachment 83575
Update: I’m so happy right now! She is making massive improvements, moving around almost perfectly! She still can’t fly but this is so much better than before!

She is certainly making it through the night, I feel it in my bones. A bit longer of supplementation and I think she’ll be good to go, I added some soy sauce to her formula.

She has had a spark in energy, she will willingly climb onto my hand and settle there! I’m so happy to have made myself a butterfly friend today!

I’ve also made a discussion that is she can’t start flying by tomorrow I’m keeping her, a butterfly that can’t fly is as good as dead where I live, we have many predators.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo

Any advice?
View attachment 83575
Update: She is doing so well! I gave her her last feeding for the day, she drank on her own! She also put up quite the fight when I tried to unravel her proboscis to drink!

She tried to fly and actually got some air! I think she may be able to regain the ability to fly! I’m going to continue to supplement her on chitin and soy sauce tomorrow to see if I have any more progress!

That is it for tonight, I’m seeing massive progress! Stay tuned for more updates!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Wow i was not expecting a story like this. But it makes me happy!!!
I wouldn't even know where to start.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Wow i was not expecting a story like this. But it makes me happy!!!
I wouldn't even know where to start.
I’ve had a lot of past experience with butterflies, in the past I’d rescue monarch caterpillars and eggs from milkweed that had been taken out of the ground and left to rot.

I’d raise them into butterflies and then when I made sure all of them were healthy I set them free, monarchs were no uncommon sight by my house back then… Now I hardly see them, so it’s a real blessing to take care of her like this ❤️

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo

Any advice?
View attachment 83575
Update: Cosmos made it through the night! Butterflies don’t sleep like humans do but I’m sure the rest has done her good. I come with great news, the news I was hoping for!

She can fly! At least, she is starting to regain that ability..? She flew twice this morning and drank on her own again! Im so pleased with these new improvements.

She is no longer lethargic and can move around with ease. She will still willingly climb up my arm but now with her being able to fly she lands on my arm or shoulder!

I think she’ll be able to be set free today, I’m keeping an eye on her for a little longer before I commit to it.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo

Any advice?
View attachment 83575
Update: SHE CAN FLY! She flew across the room, Cosmo is getting so much better! I can’t express how happy I am, if anything I’ll be letting her go very soon!

She is completely healed, I’m pleased to have been able to have such an effect on this little angel.

This is what happens when people care, so please, if you see a struggling animal/insect give it a second chance! It may not be the end for that little critter!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I’ve had a lot of past experience with butterflies, in the past I’d rescue monarch caterpillars and eggs from milkweed that had been taken out of the ground and left to rot.

I’d raise them into butterflies and then when I made sure all of them were healthy I set them free, monarchs were no uncommon sight by my house back then… Now I hardly see them, so it’s a real blessing to take care of her like this ❤️
Butterfly populations in general have been on the decline for a while now. I remember seeing stories about it on the news and talking about in class way back in high-school. It's very sad to think they could one day be gone.
But today there is one more still in the world!!! It really warms my heart you cared enough and were able to save her. Just think according to the butterfly effect theory, you mave have just changed/saved the future 😉 🤔 😄

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Butterfly populations in general have been on the decline for a while now. I remember seeing stories about it on the news and talking about in class way back in high-school. It's very sad to think they could one day be gone.
But today there is one more still in the world!!! It really warms my heart you cared enough and were able to save her. Just think according to the butterfly effect theory, you mave have just changed/saved the future 😉 🤔 😄
Monarchs have always been one of my personal favourites, it was a terrible relisation that they could one day be gone. What you just said is very touching, I’m always keen on helping any animal/insect in need.

She is free now, soaring high in the sky and living her best butterfly life now. I released her and she was able to fly away, she even flew back to where I was standing as if to say goodbye before she disappeared.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo

Any advice?
View attachment 83575
Final update: Cosmo is free now, I watched as she flew through the sky. She is all better, it’s a miracle, really. I thought she was on her last legs yesterday but she wasn’t!

I still don’t know what happened but she has regained the ability to fly and move freely, it would be unfair to keep her from her natural home any longer so her and I parted ways.

As her last act of gratitude she winged her way back to me and paused for a second mid-air before she disappeared, I won’t forget her and I have a feeling she won’t forget me ❤️

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom