Not open for further replies.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Beardednoob":2vjy3yqj said:
I am happy you chimed in GlueStick :wink:

Brings up a question
How much is she eating?

Thank you
I'm very curious about this one. My guy has never had an mbd or calcium related issue so I'll def hang around and hope for some answers!

Aussie will barely eat anything, so most of his hand feeding now comes from me (not to answer the question meant for cayla, just letting you know. hoping for some helpfulness in the situation =D ). He will lay like this for days sometimes, in the same spot. Other times, he will move occasionally and act 'normally', but go right back to it.

Heres a good picture of one of his worse days. And he was shedding..
badaussie.jpg

badaussieshed.jpg

caylafay

Original Poster
:( We suspected MBD because the first sign anything was wrong with her was that she was dragging her back legs, so after a day or two of that, we took her to the vet and he suggested a new light (which we got) and dusting with calcium (which we thought we were doing but it was, in fact, only multivitamins). That week she started doing a lot better and would actually walk a distance for a mealworm. Then on Monday she got her second dose of fluids and now she looks similar to yours. Except she does not always have a slight gape, its more her eyes stay closed for a long time, and she will not move from the spot where she is placed.

She's still very young, and has only shedded once since we've had her (3 months) and still doesn't show any signs of shedding, which I guess is a sign that she's not really growing much.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
caylafay":28gij5ej said:
:( We suspected MBD because the first sign anything was wrong with her was that she was dragging her back legs, so after a day or two of that, we took her to the vet and he suggested a new light (which we got) and dusting with calcium (which we thought we were doing but it was, in fact, only multivitamins). That week she started doing a lot better and would actually walk a distance for a mealworm. Then on Monday she got her second dose of fluids and now she looks similar to yours. Except she does not always have a slight gape, its more her eyes stay closed for a long time, and she will not move from the spot where she is placed.

He will also close his eyes on and off on his 'bad' days, like the one above.
How old did you say that she was?

And you mentioned in previous posts that... you fed her a lot of waxworms. I have seen this happen with my female bearded dragon when she was around the age of your dragon. BF fed her waxworms as a staple for a while (without me knowing for a week straight) and her hind legs went limp, dragging them around even with the proper lighting. It is from my understanding that waxworms have a high phosphorous level and phosphorous and calcium are what function together or in relation to muscle contraction within the body. But this is my observation and assumption, not a vets. After the waxworms were taken away, she regained motion in the legs a week and more later. (this is a diff situation, but i thought that i would bring it up)

My male, in which you have seen in the picture, has had an array of gastrointestinal problems which i think is what has contributed to this 'demise'. I really hope your lil baby can find a solution =( I know how frustrating it is, believe me. Im keeping my fingers crossed!

caylafay

Original Poster
I got her from Petco in June.. so she's been with me for almost 3 months. I really have no idea how old she was but i'd guess around 5 or 6 months? That's really good to know about the wax worms :) I don't know if you have issues with pooping with your dragon as well, but normal dragons will sort of walk when the poop to get away from it. Her paralysis has gotten to the point where she doesn't even move and it just builds up under her, and then I have to clean her.. it does not smell very nice :(

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
caylafay":c6yfutti said:
I got her from Petco in June.. so she's been with me for almost 3 months. I really have no idea how old she was but i'd guess around 5 or 6 months? That's really good to know about the wax worms :) I don't know if you have issues with pooping with your dragon as well, but normal dragons will sort of walk when the poop to get away from it. Her paralysis has gotten to the point where she doesn't even move and it just builds up under her, and then I have to clean her.. it does not smell very nice :(

My Aussie will only go to the bathroom once every other week, but he sure does make the effort to move away from it.

I cannot say that the prognosis is a very good one, but there is always hope. Does she refuse to move her legs at this point? Or if you pick her up and move her around a bit, will she move them even if slightly? Because if it is true paralysis, she wouldn't be able to move them at all. If however something is ailing her internally, like mbd, parasites, vitamin A toxicity (Have you ever heard of Rep-Cal? They use beta carotene as a source of Vitamin A, which from my understanding, is better for absorption and any A toxicity) and whatever else, she may just be acting that way because she really doesn't feel good (durr). Has she ever had a fecal done? Has anything ever fallen onto her? How is her eating at this point?

I hope someone else pops onto this thread. I'm giving this a great big BUMP.

caylafay

Original Poster
GlueStick":3cj8rgn1 said:
caylafay":3cj8rgn1 said:

My Aussie will only go to the bathroom once every other week, but he sure does make the effort to move away from it.

I cannot say that the prognosis is a very good one, but there is always hope. Does she refuse to move her legs at this point? Or if you pick her up and move her around a bit, will she move them even if slightly? Because if it is true paralysis, she wouldn't be able to move them at all. If however something is ailing her internally, like mbd, parasites, vitamin A toxicity (Have you ever heard of Rep-Cal? They use beta carotene as a source of Vitamin A, which from my understanding, is better for absorption and any A toxicity) and whatever else, she may just be acting that way because she really doesn't feel good (durr). Has she ever had a fecal done? Has anything ever fallen onto her? How is her eating at this point?

I hope someone else pops onto this thread. I'm giving this a great big BUMP.

I'd have to agree with you about this probably not getting much better. She doesn't move, at all. Aside from a slight head turn or something like that. Whenever she poops next, I'm going to take it in to get lab work done. She doesn't eat anything except for what we give her through the syringe. My poor baby is basically on life support. It's really sad :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How close is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb to her?
Are you using a liquid calcium for her since she was diagnosed with metabolic bone disease? What type of vitamins are you using for her right now?
It still sounds like her system is off or not absorbing things properly. I can review your set up with you again, if you would like.
Getting a fecal is a good idea, also.
Had they done a blood test when she was at the vets initially?

Tracie

caylafay

Original Poster
It is sitting on top of the screen on her tank. I am not using liquid calcium, but I do put a pinch of the powder in the baby food. She hasn't gotten any blood tested but I'm gonna call the vet tomorrow morning to get a fecal done.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The screen top may filter out up to 30% or more of the UVB light. Can you possibly mount it underneath of the screen for better absorption? How close is it to her?
How did the vet diagnose the metabolic bone disease? An x-ray?
I would definitely get the fecal done to see if anything else is going on with her.

Tracie

caylafay

Original Poster
Kona, unfortunately, passed away today. Im heartbroken but believe I did everything I could to help her. Thank you so much for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom