Indigestion issues???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbets

I read somewhere that you don't want to give your beardie crickets bigger than the space between their eyes, that they may end up with terminal indigestion.

Low and behold I may have, I thought they were the right size when I bought them, and dropped in about 12 of them in which he went to town on. He went to sleep normally that night, now this morning, he's sitting on the corner of the tank near a branch with his legs sticking straight out and he's not really moving. I also read that this isn't good due to the indigestion I mentioned. However, it doesn't tell you what to do in this situation.

any ideas??

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Run a search about impaction. There's a ton of info on here about it. Something about baby food and olive oil? :dontknow: Look around for impaction threads though

jbbets

Original Poster
ok, take a look around. As of right now he at least started moving around again. I'm wondering if it's just that I have too low a wattage of UVB. (25W) I had a 40w before, but it looked like he was getting too hot in his 10 gallon tank.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Ok what uvb bulb are you using? They normally don't give off heat! I would recommend getting the reptisun 10.0 uvb and start off with a 10 or 20 watt regular house hold light bulb for heat! And keep measuring the temps with a digital thermometer with a probe on the end!! It may be a bit cold or warm for him or Let us no? Good luck...

jbbets

Original Poster
thanks for the help, after everything, he has been doing pretty good. I upped the bulb wattage to a 100w bulb, but I got a reflecter that has a controller on it that controlls the heat levels-AWESOME! I'm so happy I found that!

Loganator

Juvie Member
These "UVB" bulbs you have been talking about, 25w, 40w and now 100w, are you sure these are UV bulbs? This doesn't sound right. Could these be the coil or compact UV bulbs? (Those are not real good UV bulbs) Are you sure these are not just basking bulbs? Basking bulbs are for heat (regular household bulbs work fine) and UVB bulbs provide UV. You need BOTH! Can you clarify your lighting setup for us? Without proper UV, they can be lethargic, not eat, and worse case scenario, lead to metabolic bone disease. Not trying to scare you, but lets make sure you have everything setup correctly so you have a healthy beardie.

What are the temps in the tank? Cool end? Warm side? Basking temp? What type of thermometer are you measuring them with? Temps are very important to aid in their digestion. It may be a little tricky regulating ambient temps in a 10 gallon tank, but let us know the answers to these questions and we will try to help you out.

Loganator

Juvie Member
Great that you have the correct bulbs. No need to apologize. This is how you learn. I have spent many hours on this fantastic website learning all the stuff I need to know. Remember, there are no stupid questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom