Increasing daytime basking heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMP

Original Poster
Thats good news, hope she wakes up :)

Yeah, Rex went without for 1 week while I was waiting for his tube bulb. I saw a improvement when his uv was off but with the Reptisun tube bulb it is better than it was, but seems worse than when he had no uv. Maybe his eye was not fully healed?

He is shedding his head at the moment so will try take some pics afterwards :D he currently looks like he has spiky hair!!!

remi1

Juvie Member
Well, maybe you should try turning it off for a day and see what happens? It sounds like it was badly damaged, with the two reptiglos. Watch his appetite closely, and turn it back on if it is stressing him out. How far away is the reptisun from Rex when he's basking?

I'll look forward to his pics! Hehe, spikey hair sounds really cute. They're so cute when they're shedding, but they look so miserable! Do you give him baths? They help the shedding process go more smoothly.

Remi didn't open her eyes, but she started moving her head and breathing on her own last night! It took her so long after surgery to even lift her head (4hrs) that they thought she might be brain dead. Like I said, baby steps, but at least these are in the right direction!

JMP

Original Poster
Thats a great start for Remi, sounds like she is on the right path to making a recovery even though they are baby steps :D

Yeah, I bath Rex every other day and he had a bath this morning which has helped him shed, he has been a bit grumpy :p . The reptisun is next to his basking light and approx. 8 inches away from his elevated spot. He has never had a problem with eating even when he went without UV for a week, he is a real fatty and loves food!!! :)

I am going to try turn off the uv for a day or so and see what happens. Do you think it could be the Reptisun tube? I have not heard anything bad about them, thats whay I bought it. Could be the fact his might not have fully healed?

Seeings I am in the UK I could try the Arcadia 12 worst comes to the worst, which I hear is a very good bulb also.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
It could just be his eyes were not fully healed, give him a few days rest, if he is still the same you know its not the UVB thats the issue. ReptiSUNs are very good and ive not heard of anyone having probs with them, but your right the arcadias are very good bulbs ( slightly better infact)

JMP

Original Poster
I will try a few days with no UV and see what happens, otherwise will just have to accept the fact he closes one eye more. Rex does not seem bothered by it and he seems to still have good vision with his bad eye.

In 6 months I think I will try the Arcadia :D Have heard very good things about them.

Thanks for your help :)

remi1

Juvie Member
:cry: :cry: Remi didn't make it... just as I was walking out the door to go visit her in the CCU, the vet called to tell me that her heart stopped again. I posted a picture thing for her in the memorial section with some of my favorite pics viewtopic.php?f=37&t=125368 I would give anything to have her with me right now :cry:

But how is Rex doing? Did you get that new bulb in? How is his eye?

JMP

Original Poster
Sorry to hear that, may Remi rest in peace. The photos are really great to hold her memory.

I have since removed the UVB and 5 days later his eye is the best it has ever been and I am now optimistic it will fully recover :D I am now not so worried about the little guy.

I am going to introduce the UVB back tomorrow, although, I will do it slowly by starting a few hours each day and then gradually build up to whole days again within 4 days or so. Also, just incase I will remove the reflector so it is not as harsh on his eyes :)

The 150w bulb only arrived today as one of my previous orders got cancelled :angry5: It has been on for about two hours and the max temp has only got up to 95!!! I have no idea why so low :S I don't really want elevate his basking spot any higher so I am a bit stuck what to do.

Should I introduce a ceramic heat emitter or add another household bulb to get the temp up?

remi1

Juvie Member
Can you take a picture of the basking spot area? I think at this point that will help us more than anything because it *should* be higher than that. To post a pic you can open a photobucket account and upload pics there. Then photobucket will assign it an "img" code, so copy and paste the whole code-thingy here. At least, that's what I did. That's soo weird that it's not getting any higher than that. :?

I am really glad to hear that his eye is getting better!! :blob5: :blob8:

JMP

Original Poster
Yeah, I am very glad his eye is getting better. Still waiting for his eye to fully recover though :(

I have sorted the basking heat problem by adding a 60w household bulb in the cool end, which helps up the overall viv heat.

Now I have temps of 83 in the cool end and around 103 in the basking spot. Is that now ok or should it still be higher?

I am looking into getting a 100w ceramic heat emitter, which I will plug into his thermostat at night rather than a red bulb which came with the set-up from previous owner.

JMP

Original Poster
I have now introduced the UVB for a couple of hours each day and he is closing his eye more again :(

I don't know what to do, I am very conscious he has gone without UVB for 2 weeks so don't want to leave it out anylonger but clearly his ee is still not fully healed. Is it good enough to just keep giving him more calcium suppliments with no UVB?

I am using a Reptisun 10 tube which is supposed to be a good bulb.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
no matter how much calcium or D3 you are giving without UVB it cannot be transformed into its usable form.

Is he just closing one eye evey now and then, or is it both eyes most of the day?? They do close one eye from time to time, then switch, my female does it alot.

JMP

Original Poster
He closes his left eye most of the time when the UVB is on and even when he is out of his Viv.

Once the UVB has been removed for a couple of days he rarely closes his eye at all and looks like it will fully recover.

I am more than sure it is because of the UVB light, not sure it is the Zoo Med Reptisun 10 tube bulb I have on now but because it has already been damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom