Important question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett

Hi there, I have a epsu super uv 20 watt coil UVB light a reptisun 10.0 13 watt coil over UVB light, as well as the white basking spot bulb and the red max heat 150 watt heat lamp.. I have a pretty large enclosed and on one side I have my little guys epsu super uv lamp and daylight basking spot bulb, the other side I have the reptisun 10.0 I believe it is called also with another log for him to climb up on for his cool side.. Is that okay to be doing? Do I need to use the infrared basking spot light on the other side or what? Im just wondering to be safe!

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Btw temps on hot side is 105f and on cool side is 75f

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No.

There is a lot wrong with your lighting setup. I would suggest taking the time and reading around here to get a better understanding.

Basically you need to scrap your whole current lighting setup..
Coils are absolutely horrendous, you should turn those off immediately.
Get rid of the red bulb, it is asinine.

You really only need two bulbs, a basking bulb that produce clear white light
And a PROPER uvb bulb. There really are only two proper uvb bulbs on the market for dragons, and they are the arcadia 12% TUBE, and the reptisun 10.0 TUBE

You are going to want to upgrade to this.
What are you measuring your temps with?

-Brandon

Barrett

Original Poster
I have a clear white basking spot lamp on the right side, exo terra 150watt daylight basking spot bulb and then the UVB lights are both coils. What is so wrong with the coil? I know a lot of breeders around her that use the coiled UVB light bulbs and breed beautiful healthy babies.. Wy would they sell these in every single pet store if they are no good?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Because they sell them to you to make money? What do I get out of telling you they are crap? I don't make money, I don't sell other light bulbs; the only motivation I have in helping you make a decision on lighting is genuinely caring for the well-being of your dragon.

Bearded dragons aren't the only pets around you know? They make the coil bulbs for dozens and dozens of different species. And maybe the coil bulbs work great on other species, but I am telling you they are complete and utter crap, dangerous actually, when it comes to bearded dragons.

And just because someone is a breeder, doesn't mean they know the best methods for taking care of dragons. It doesn't take much knowledge to be successful in making two creatures of the opposite sex mate.

Now you can take my advice, or you can take the advice from people who are there to sell you something. It is your choice.

-Brandon

Barrett

Original Poster
Hey now no need to be all sassy towards me lad.
Im saying this because buying the asseccories for him after my 7 year old female passed away I asked for the best stuff to use for a baby as 7 years later.. Things change, new products come out. He would have sold me more expensive tube lighting fixture and tube light (googled pricing) and have made more money.. Instead told me crap when they work at a pet store.. This is pj pets though mAybe a smaller privately owned shop would be bet next time. Anyways thanks

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I am not being sassy towards you. Blunt maybe, but not sassy.

You came here asking a question, if your setup is good.

I said no, because it really is not.

You then go and disagree with it. So now i'm confused. Did you really want people to tell you if its good or bad, or did you just want them to tell you it's good? Because that's the vibe I'm getting.

You already have my advice, and everyone on this board that posts regularly will give you the same advice. You can take it or not.

-Brandon

Barrett

Original Poster
No, you are being sassy like Lindsay Lohan from mean girls or something..

LOL

LIKE I SAID.. Ill SAY IT AGAIN.
I was not disagreeing with you, I was SIMPLY QUESTIONING the fact why PET STORES would tell me to buy these things for my Bearded Dragon.. Why the boxes for these bulbs have BEARDED DRAGONS on them. PLEASE show me where I EVER disagreed with you bud? I asked why they are so bad, this is a forum.. Where people ask questions to LEARN new things. Then I asked why pet stores sell them and why I would get advice to buy it from a PJ PET STORE eomployee. It was a question, not a disagreement.

I think maybe you have been stressed out or something these past couple of days? Ill ignore it, give you time to chill out for a minute before you really rage on me.

But like I said, I never once disagreed and if you would like to show me where I did disagree with you, I would apologize to you.. Simple as that. I came here to learn, not to argue with people like you Brandon. I said thanks. Ill say it again, THANKS I APPRECIATE The help and advice from you bud you take care and have yourself a good one in that fine Cali weather.

You should listen to claudiusx. Coil bulbs are bad. I've experienced it. Just get a reptisuns 10 tube to run at least half ur tank and get 6-8 inches from the lizard. Then well ur beardie could be better.

Barrett

Original Poster
No I know,
I have taken his advice and I am pleased I have gotten in from him, don't get me wrong there i never once tried to disagree with this guy or argue with him so I don't know whats up with him but its whatever..
I wanted help and I got it, I appreciate it. Yeah im going to have to buy that stuff.. Damn that just reminded me that I forgot my paycheck at work lmao. Im going to get it on Saturday! :)

Is this your new updated tank? can you tell us what lighting you have in there now, because there seems to be 2 tubes?

Also to answer your other questions.

Pet stores will sell you anything they can to make money even if it is harmful or not, they don't really know, they are told to make money.

Coil bulbs causes photo keroto conjunctivitis, among others problems.

Can we have an update please. I'm not sure if that's your new lighting system.

Barrett

Original Poster
Yes that is my new lighting set up. I still have the exo terra daylight basking spot bulb in the clamp lamp, the light on the same side is a Repti Glo 10.0 UVB light.. I got them mixed up, im going to have to go back and change it for the Repti sun 10.0 I was told.. I should have brought my ipad with me when I went to get it.

The light on the cool side is just for light, its a normal,t8 fluorescent tube because I purchased the exo terra electronic terrarium lamp controller light unit and I was unaware that I needed two lamps in order for it to work so I went to Home Depot and got one

As long as you get your reptisun it should be fine. Also you have 2 fluorescent tubes but I can't imagine this being a problem because they together run one length of the cage and one is higher up soo.

Good stuff :blob5:

Barrett

Original Poster
Yeah the one that is higher up is just the regular one, the one on the basking side is the reptiglo 10.0 but im going to exchange that one today for the reptisun 10.0 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom