impaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
Can a Bearded Dragon have impaction if he poops ok? I notice a lump around where his body meets his tail. He is eating some, and poops every day some times twice or more, he can move around and seems active. I took him to the vet less then 2 weeks ago and the vet just said I'm taking good care of him but he could use some real sunlight. I am just worried.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They can be partially impacted & still go to the bathroom. The stool will be reduced or slightly runny due to the blockage.
What makes you think he could be impacted?
What type of substrate is he on & what feeders are you using?

Tracie

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well the only reason I feel he might be is because there is a lump where the butt meets the tail. He is on tile and reptile carpet and eats, PW, butter worms, wax worms, crickets, and roaches. I just started him on the roaches a few days ago. He also eats veggies, dragon bites, He seems active, able to walk around, run, is alert, and only seems stressed first thing in the morning, or if I leave him in the feeder tank to long.

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
also the poop this morning was very long almost half the size of him, he is around 8 to 9 inches long. Had him for about a month.

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
mbd can cause a lump at the start of the tail - what uvb has he got?
and are you dusting his food with calcium?

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
the uvb is the reptisun 10, and I use zilla food spray calcium supplement. I am also feeding him PW other then the vet anything else I can do to check for MBD? I've only had him for about a month.

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
here is a picture its not to good but the lump is by the tail

PICT0008.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I cannot determine from that picture. I am not sure if it is metabolic bone disease but possible I suppose. It doesn't sound like it though with the amount of calcium he gets & the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube light is a good one too.
I could use a more clear picture though, that would help.
Can he support himself on all fours & climb normally?
You could get a bloodtest done to see what his calcium levels are, or an x-ray, or both to see what could be going on.
At this point, impaction doesn't sound real likely though, in my opinion. Were the urates hard & chalky then?

Tracie

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
that is the weird thing, he walks and climbs and jumps ok, he poops normal and the poop doesn't seem hard unless the heat drys it out. He acts all happy and content I just see the lump, which could be nothing I am just being paranoid. I took him to the vet a few weeks ago and had his poop tested, the vet said at that time he was full of poop, and needed sunlight but other then that looked good. I can take him to the vet next payday if needed just trying to avoid the trip since its been less then a month since last vet visit. I could try more calcium to be safe. I'll work on a better picture too.

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well since he is pooping ok and moves around ok I'll keep an eye on him and if I need to will take him to the vet on the 15th. I just hope he is ok and I am over reacting.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good you will be taking him to the vet on the 15th then. Hopefully everything is perfectly fine with him. Keep me updated on him.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well he seems active and alert and even pooped ok. He ate a few roaches, a few wax worms, and I think some veggies, I have yet to get him to eat as much live food as people claim babies eat but he eats some.

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I am going to have Draco for the Vet Thursday Morning in hopes to figure out what is going on. I also hope that we can increase his eating habits too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom