Impaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leneabean

This is my first lizard and we got him as a rescue. I suppose I may just be paranoid, but I'm worried about impaction. He doesn't have much of an appetite the last week or so. He has cloudy patches on him because he's about to shed and i read that sometimes their appetite decreases because of shedding so it may be that. I gave him a warm bath today after he ate about half of his food and he didn't poop. His basking temps are fine so it's not that. I'm just worried! I don't know if you can tell by appearance but this was him after this bath today. (Click to enlarge)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks big + healthy [ and handsome ] :) Adult beardies will eat much less than young dragons and may go several days or even over a week without pooing with no problems. Try a bit of baby food squash + unsweetened applesauce and a few drops of veg. oil or honey. He'll eventually go.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
If you still feel uncomfortable with his lack of pooping go ahead and give him massages during his baths, if you dont do it already. He looks nice and healthy and as long as he didnt eat anything too massive he should be able to pass any blockages. can you list off some info on how his enclosure is set up?

leneabean

Original Poster
ruben0311":x5hyqy6c said:
If you still feel uncomfortable with his lack of pooping go ahead and give him massages during his baths, if you dont do it already. He looks nice and healthy and as long as he didnt eat anything too massive he should be able to pass any blockages. can you list off some info on how his enclosure is set up?

Ceramic tile at the bottom of his viv and with on log for climbing and another for basking. I had to take out the aloe plant because he kept trying to eat it. He has a ceramic food dish in there as well. He doesn't spend much time in there anyways, though.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
sounds good! as long as your temperatures are good he'll pass almost anything he could have eaten. giving him high water containing veggies will definitely help him out if he is though. I wouldnt worry much, but we do love our little buddies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks very good, actually, for a rescue! :D
They also go through a 1-2 week relocation phase, most of the time, but not always. That will affect their appetite & behavior, too. As suggested, using the softer foods for a few feedings can help move things through if he does have any type of impaction, but hopefully he is all clear.
Extra oral fluids would be very helpful for him right now. Has he had a decent amount of urates (white portion) when going to the bathroom?
His beard doesn't appear dark to indicate that he may not feel well. I would give him a bit of time to shed & hopefully his appetite will start to pick up.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

leneabean

Original Poster
Thanks everyone I'm feeling a lot better! It's just scary because I already lost a pet to old age this year and I don't want to lose another to something I can actually help!

leneabean

Original Poster
Drache613":287vxwbl said:
Hello,

He looks very good, actually, for a rescue! :D
They also go through a 1-2 week relocation phase, most of the time, but not always. That will affect their appetite & behavior, too. As suggested, using the softer foods for a few feedings can help move things through if he does have any type of impaction, but hopefully he is all clear.
Extra oral fluids would be very helpful for him right now. Has he had a decent amount of urates (white portion) when going to the bathroom?
His beard doesn't appear dark to indicate that he may not feel well. I would give him a bit of time to shed & hopefully his appetite will start to pick up.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

He didn't look at good when we first got him! He was so dirty I didn't even know he was yellow u til the first time I washed him. He was skinny too but he went through a period of time where he was feasting on greens squash and green beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom