Impaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAndrew

Hello, i was walking by my brother's bearded tank and saw her(him?) trying to force poop(atleast i think thats what she was doing), all that came out was clear liquid. I walked away and came back 5 minutes later to her hind in as high as it would go, so i picked her up and figured i would give her a warm bath. As i did i felt her stomach and on the right side of her i felt a good sized hard object. Im not sure what to do. I had just fed her earlier today as well.

How old is your dragon? Not sure very young when he got her from the store.
How long have you had your dragon? 1 year.
How long is your dragon? 6 inches(not including tail)
Do you use UVB lights? Yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Dont know either off the top of my head, but i know it is the proper ones(as in the one i see recommended anywhere for beardeds)
How old is your UVB bulb? 2 months
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? Basking bulb is a 100w i beleve, not colored
What are the basking temps? not sure(dont have a good way to check atm), but she can usually climb up and down her stick to get closer or lay on the ground, she does both.
What is the cool side temp? 80
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Crickets(no bigger then the space between the eyes) around 5 every feeding(every other day). And Mustard greens are offered on the in between cricket feeding. I feed in the morning.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Flukers Cricket Quenchers, and for food the crickets usually eat assorted vegetables, such as squash, mustard greens, corn.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? no
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? before this yes
Do you bath your dragon? How often? weekly
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? they have a water bowl, and are misted in the morning.
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? no
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no

Here are some pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/MdCao

In the one of me holding her you can see the lump on the left(her right).

KAndrew

Original Poster
I posted some pictures(incase you wanted to see/didnt see them) Is it possible for it to be only one egg? I felt the object and it is pretty solid feeling.

Edit: I googled it, i can see and only feel one solid oval in her(on the right). Though for the "symptoms" of being gravid she seems to have all of them except for the weight gain. She has been alot more running away when i reach in, and has been having a huge appetite.

But i am still abit worried because im not sure if it is a female or not, not sure how to tell.(And that it may be an impaction)

I am soaking her in a warm bath and massaging her every few hours.

Elmontare

Hatchling Member
Based on the photos it could be impaction. Id lay off on too solid of foods until it is gone. I think applesauce would be a good idea as its nice and soft. Keep up the bathing and massage at least twice a day. Ive never actually done this but ive read a few drops of olive oil will make them poop. I suppose if you dont want this to happen you could change the sand substrate to paper towels, newspaper, or tiles. Also its a good idea to find out for sure what the basking temp is and to dust the live food with a calcium powder a few times a week. Its good for them.

KAndrew

Original Poster
Thank you for the help. I will be doing the applesauce with the olive oil to see if it helps. And i will talk to my brother about the substrate.

KAndrew

Original Poster
Update so far.

Tiki still has the lump on the right, i have been doing the bathing and massage every few hours. All i see coming out is the white stuff eveytime i do the message. I have tried the apple sauce and vegetable oil, and am still doing the bathes. If nothing has happened by friday im will take her to the vet(as that is when my brother will be back and will have the money to do so.) She has also stopped eating, where she would once she a cricket or a piece of greens and chase after, she just looks, licks and turns away.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is she licking the olive oil and apple sauce from her nose? You could also try some unspiced pumpkin puree or baby food prunes. It may take a bit of time, but that should help if you can get her to eat it. Keep the baths up. It sounds like you're getting SOME movement, but not quite enough yet.

KAndrew

Original Poster
Yes she is licking it off her nose(she actually likes it alot). Its good to know im getting something done, but that lump is kinda large(You can see it in the pictures).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It does look fairly large. It won't be easy to pass. Keep her well hydrated and keep doing what you're doing for now. If there isn't more progress by the end of the week then I agree with your idea to take a trip to the vet for a more thorough checkup. Perhaps make an appointment for Friday and cancel if everything looks OK by then.

KAndrew

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, i will make the appointment tomorrow, as they are currently closed. Its good to know that im atleast helping some of it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You're doing a good job. Please keep us posted with any updates and we'll all do everything we can to help.

KAndrew

Original Poster
Again thank you for the help. I just checked on her again and she is doing her own work on struggling to pass it, so she wants it out as much as i do. I will keep you updated.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How is your little one today?

That lump is troubling - hopefully she is able to pass it. I would be very careful about massaging it though, if it is in fact a large blockage it maybe painful to massage it and it's possible it could cause damage.

Do you know how long it has been since she successfully pooped?

To check if at make or female - place the dragon on your hand or on a table and gently lift the tail. The tail should bend at an angle at the hips - at the base of the tail will either be two bumps to either side, or one in the middle. Two bumps is male, one is female. If you can't tell, take a photo and we can help.

Also, I noticed a couple things in your setup summary - as already mentioned its very important to know what the temps are at the basking area. If they are too low it can lead to impaction. It's also important to supplement the live food with calcium and a vitamin/mineral combo. Low levels of calcium can cause lots of health problems.

KAndrew

Original Poster
She is still roaming her cage today and basking, no eating though. Her basking spot is around 98, i checked today. She pooped last friday last, the massaging has just resulted in the white stuff coming out and i will walk by her cage after her bath, usually an hour late, and see she has tried to poop again, i know because the spot will be wet with whatever white stuff she had before. I feels like the lump has moved down more, and has started to turn to the center near her butt, but most is still to the right. I have set a vet appointment but wont beable to get her in till monday.

KAndrew

Original Poster
Update:

Well she passed maybe half of what has been in her, the other part is still in her. Even with the sand in the tank there was no sand in the poop, it is like a gel, that is congealed together, so not sure what it is, might also feel like that from the oil mix. If the rest of it isnt passed by monday though i feel it may be best to still go to the vet, ill most likely bring the poop with me so he can check it out. Though it appear she had some appetite back now as she saw a cricket and ran after it, as well as being very perky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom