Impaction or overreaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accidental rhyme in the title.
So my beardie has recently went into shed. He normally runs around his tank but he's recently just been sitting wierdly on his log. He moves when he gets fed and suddenly becomes his usual self, but when feedings over he returns to his log. I noticed he hasn't pooped in the past 2 days, so I tried giving him a bath and massaged his stomach but still, nothing. As I said, could this be impaction or an overreaction?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
How old is your dragon and, what are you feeding him? This will help us find an answer.
There are other things that can be addressed but, these questions will give us some insight.

WreckWrack

Original Poster
Gormagon":39llogkm said:
How old is your dragon and, what are you feeding him? This will help us find an answer.
There are other things that can be addressed but, these questions will give us some insight.
I'm not sure on the exact age but I think it's 4 or 5 months, still very young. We feed him locusts, waxworms, and mealworms, all appropriately sized.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
WreckWrack":2dmkyxcy said:
Gormagon":2dmkyxcy said:
I'm not sure on the exact age but I think it's 4 or 5 months, still very young. We feed him locusts, waxworms, and mealworms, all appropriately sized.

Waxworms are like crack to dragons, they will turn down other foods and refuse to eat unless it is waxworms. They also have little to no nutritional value. It takes more energy to digest them than they supply.
Mealworms can cause impaction , their exoskeletons are hard to digest...not worth the risk.

What type of UVB are you using?
What are the temps?
Basking?
Warm end?
Cool end?

What type of substrate?

WreckWrack

Original Poster
Gormagon":2jqwitgb said:
WreckWrack":2jqwitgb said:
Gormagon":2jqwitgb said:

Waxworms are like crack to dragons, they will turn down other foods and refuse to eat unless it is waxworms. They also have little to no nutritional value. It takes more energy to digest them than they supply.
Mealworms can cause impaction , their exoskeletons are hard to digest...not worth the risk.

What type of UVB are you using?
What are the temps?
Basking?
Warm end?
Cool end?

What type of substrate?

I feed him waxworms as a treat, and even then it's only 2 or 3. They don't affect his appetite.

I'm using a reptile systems T8 D3 lamp, it's no reptisun but I'm planning on getting one eventually, they're hard to come by in the UK.
Temps are:
Warm end - 108°
Cool end - 90°
Measured with a thermal gun.
Substrate is reptile carpet.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
The Arcadia 12%D3 is easy to get in the UK from what I've gathered. And it's a little better than the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO.
This might solve the issue.

WreckWrack

Original Poster
Thank you all for caring enough to reply to my post, but I've found the problem. Mealworms.
Today he finally done a poo, and when he did he "released" a full, dead mealworm.

I'll be sure to lower his tank temps and change the bulb as soon as I can though!

WreckWrack

Original Poster
AHBD":6r1et3cc said:
Just wanted to add that 90 is much too hot for the cool end, try to get it down to 80. Can you post pics of the dragon + the tank ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

101482-1946946886.jpg
Here's the dragon, looking much better now.
101482-6065537878.jpg
And his tank. We've been planning to add more decor soon. The bits on the floor are just oats from the locust tubs.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Is there a basking light or just a ceramic heat emitter above his basking area? Those are good for night time heating, if needed or even supplemental to a basking light but a bright white basking bulb is needed. Bearded dragons will look at the lights and looking at a uvb bulb can actually harm their eyes so having a regular white basking bulb will direct their eyes to that which is safer.

WreckWrack

Original Poster
SandP":2v467a4n said:
Is there a basking light or just a ceramic heat emitter above his basking area? Those are good for night time heating, if needed or even supplemental to a basking light but a bright white basking bulb is needed. Bearded dragons will look at the lights and looking at a uvb bulb can actually harm their eyes so having a regular white basking bulb will direct their eyes to that which is safer.

If I notice any issues I'll be sure to invest in one, but the ceramic heat emitter is kinda required, it gets very cold in my room at night. The uvb is much dimmer than my camera makes it out to be.

SPandS

Juvie Member
It's not that the uvb is bright it's that the rays are harmful if stared at for long periods. Having a bright white basking bulb really is a necessity and are super cheap if you get a regular household halogen bulb. I get mine from the dollar store. How cold is cold? If it's 65 or above it's not only ok but recommended as they need a cooling off period at night.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
A bright basking bulb will increase his activity levels, increases metabolism and keeps their digestion in order. Basking light are crucial part of there daily lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom