I'm trying to give her more freedom???

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxattack

Juvie Member
So Buttercup is 6 months old now and quite a bit bigger than when I got her. I'm feeling confident that if I let her roam around the den that she will not be able to get away because she would have to go up a large step to get out of this area and I don't think she is big enough yet for that. I would like for her to be able to run around in an area larger than her viv for part of the day and have some freedom. This would also give her more time with me while the kids take a nap. I am usually on the computer or doing laundry in this part of the house for a couple hours a day.

So I have created a basking area outside her viv. I have a few tiles down (in case of accident), a basking cave/hide, a 100 watt MVB. The spot only gets to about 90 degrees at 12 inches from the basking bulb so I will have to do some tinkering in that area.

Anyway, my question is....I can't tell if she likes it or not? She roams around the living room quite a bit. She never goes near her basking corner but if I try to pick her up she puffs up all big, runs away and beards the heck out of me. When I tried to pick her up on Friday my thumb got caught between her side and her thigh and she pricked the heck out of me. I've only tried it a couple of times but does it seem like she is enjoying herself at all? Should I just give up or keep trying? :?:

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Maybe she is just getting used to the big area? Or she loves it and thinks you are going to take her away and put her back in her tank where its smaller?

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
I think it's good exercise-wise. I also think it's good for beardies to be put in different situations.
Maybe this comes from the horseback riding side of me.. but the more they are exposed (safely) to new things, the less life is gonna stress them out and the friendlier, more manageable a pet you are going to have.

The bearding is probably a result of you being so very much bigger and above her when you go to get her. She's also not in her normal environment and probably not quite as secure. Pele used to get freaked out when I'd go to pick her up when she was "out"; she doesn't anymore. I think she's gotten more used to being out and doing her thing and also more accustomed to me.

Sagelover

I am going through the exact samething with Sage. I take her out about once a week and allow her to roam around my bedroom. Sage will play with me for a little while then go hide under the bed and sleep. I begin to fear her temperture will drop and as I attempt to wake her she becomes very aggressive. I have had to push her from under the bed and trap her to get her back into her environment. What am I doing wrong?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hehe it sounds like your girl didnt want to be taken back to her viv!

I used to have the same problem with Dex if I tried to pick her up when she was exploring, it turns out it was how I was approaching her. Never do it from behind or the side, this is predatory behaviour. The only way madame will "go quietly" is if i sit down infront of her and show her my flat palm. I then slide this under her front arms and under her belly and pick her up. Voila!
Granted if I try to put her back in her viv before she wants to she'll clamp her arms and legs around my hand and shuffle up my arm like a comando!

Id definatly let her continue exploring, exercise and extra stimulation are great for your little one.

Sagelover

Thank you so much for the reply, Although I also approach her from the front I will try letting her out more. I am not sure how much exploring she is doing, she just lays under the bed in what appears to be hybernation mode... I am fearful she will freeze to death. I do not want to become of those people that states (I use to have one of those but it become to big and out of control) but I casn not fight with each time she has to return to her environment. Wish me luck!!!

maxattack

Juvie Member
Original Poster
:D That is exactly what Buttercup does! She wanders for a little while then finds the most inacessible place in the room to hide. Then I have to try and get her out! That is when she gets mad. I've tried blocking off the places she can get into but then it takes me 15 minutes to get a room ready for her to roam around in. :? Hopefully she will eventually get used to it.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
hehe I do that if Dex is exploring the study. I just go fetch the cusions from the living room and put them over the gaps between the computer and the wall etc.
i call it 'beardie buffing'

Sagelover

I have the thread, but does not cover what to do once ahe has become aggressive. €he front non aggressive motion is met with aggression after she has decided to relax in some inacessable place.

Sagelover

I have the thread, but does not cover what to do once ahe has become aggressive. €he front non aggressive motion is met with aggression after she has decided to relax in some inacessable place.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Ah ok then, iI'll try to help. I had to tame my little one from scratch. She was practically feral when we adopted her.

Im not sure what you mean though.
Are you saying she is only agressive when you pick her up? And this is new behaviour?

Sagelover

Yes this is a new behavior. Sage is very friendly but he only becomes aggressive when he finds some dark place to rest. I had to capture him in an box to get her back in her environment.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
How old is sage?
This could be 'beardie puberty' when beardies start to become sexually mature they can become grumpy and agressive for a period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom