I'm torn on my options!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePonz

Ok so I really really want another reptile and I'm trying to figure out what I want.
I have it narrowed to 2 choices. Either another beardie (female) or a leopard gecko (probably a Snow Leopard)
Now I have Grover, my male bearded dragon and I would like another but I would have to house them in the same cage and I am kinda worried about domination issues once he hits puberty and how stressed the female would be all the time. Right now I have him in a 30 gallon breeder but I want to switch to an EXO-Terra 36x18x18 soon (maybe for christmas :blob8: ) That would be the only time I would house two together.
If I got a Leo, I would put it in an Exo-Terra 18x18x18 where I have a perfect space on my one shelf for it.
I don't know which I want to get HELP?

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
i would really not recommend getting a 2nd unless you can house it separately. It can cause all sorts of problems especially if one has been there for a while. They are territorial, and the older one has already established it's territory and would not look kindly to intruders. You'll have fighting and stress issues, and with a male and female you'll have breeding problems. They are capable of seriously maiming, disfiguring and killing each other without a second thought. they can go from looking fine to snapping at each other in the blink of an eye.

Aleu

I agree....don't get the second beardie unless you have a separate cage. Two beardies are a lot of work. Leo's are more low-maintenance than fish IMO and they also are not nearly as fragile as beardies with regards to stress. They are little characters too.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Yep, housing together is just a bad idea. Besides stress from dominance, you would end up with a female bred way to young which is potentially fatal. It wouldn't just be the male who could cause problems either, some females are very nasty and will happily attack a male.

ThePonz

Original Poster
alright thank you all I was pretty much thinking the same thing. I just didn't know that If i got a female of about the same age before he hit puberty if it would be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom