I'm the new kid on the block

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking for a little while now and thought I'd sign up and say hello. I'm looking to get a beardie in the future but for now, I'm just trying to learn everything I need to. This should also give me time to ensure that this is what I want to get ;) I used to do saltwater aquariums for nearly 30 years and I learned that it's always better to do research before getting into live pet hobbies. I've seen too many 'newbs' get in the hobby on a whim and then realize that it was more expensive than they thought and/or the fish suffer from lack of proper education on the owner's part.

My kids and I have a potential name already picked out and they're real excited but I'm making them wait and read up on things just like I'm doing so we can hit the ground running when the time comes. Since the beardies can live for so long, I want to ensure our new pet has a great start right from the beginning.

I'd like to ask a question here if I may. When I do finally decide to get my new pet, is it better to get a baby dragon or one that is more mature to begin with? I seem to get the impression that each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Southpaw

Welcome. It's great that you're doing the research before you get one. I have 2 and got them both when they were babies but there are pros and cons to both. There are great older beardies needing homes.

Scribble

welcome and you're in the same boat as me >3<
What kind have you been looking at for color? I've been looking at the Fancy ones at the store and the Citrus tiger bearded dragon for its blues.

Well for me I live out in the middle of no-where with little opinions for alive food for the beardie and I know adults eat less alive food then babies so going that way just because I don't want to end up without enough food for them. I know that's there's online stuff, but you have to wait on shipping and handling so I would need enough alive food until that can get going which can take up to 2 weeks where I live. So if you are in a situation like mine where you can't get a lot of alive food an adult might work best or at least that's what my research has found. Though I will admit the babies are ADORABLE!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Welcome!

If you want a baby I'd suggest looking around for breeders or reptile shows. You might find better prices and selection that way and if you can find a good breeder they will have more details like the age of the dragon and onfo about the parents.

As the other posters suggest, there are lots of adult (and even younger) dragons out there who need loving homes. Some rehomes can be more like rescues though, so make sure you meet the animal first and are prepared for that.

Some things to think about when pickin an age:
Raising from a baby you'll get to condition the dragon to your care/home - rehomes can be set in their ways
Getting an adult you'll skip over some of the fragility babies can have
Babies eat lots of bugs. Lots. Breeding feeder colonies is pretty easy - but takes a certain commitment.

ChattanoogaDragon

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I picked up a 40 gallon breeder tank this afternoon from petco because they are having their $1/gallon sale. I couldn't pass it up at $40 ;) I picked up a screen as well which was a little pricey at $25 I thought but I'm new to reptiles so what do I know? :mrgreen:

Scribble

yea that screen is a bit pricy, but it is also made to withstand the heat as well so that might be why it's so pricy /:

though you might need a bigger tank later on the usual is usually 4 feet Long x 2 feet Wide x 2 feet deep and there are a lot of threads in the enclosure topic area that can help you set up your tank ^_^

also a newbie's guide to what to buy on the right hand side along with lighting guide, but here's the links in case you can't find them on the side->
https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/newbies-guide-what-to-buy/
https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/newbies-guide-lighting-help/

here's the link to the topic area for enclosures as well as a link to one that shows off how people decorate their tanks to give you ideas for yours, enjoy!->
viewforum.php?f=34 (enclosure topic area)
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66704 (people's tanks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom