I'm starting a Dubia Colony, and need a lot of advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronni1123

So, all I have so far is the big plastic container, a lid.. and the dubias coming in next tuesday. I ordered them as feeders, but also want to try starting a colony.
I'll be going out to get egg crate soon.
What do I feed them, and what kind of environment do they need? Thank youu!!!!
Please tell me anything and everything you can.

XiDiS

Juvie Member
I would maybe suggest using the search feature for the forums. There have been a TON of posts about how to start a colony and what you need.

Ronni1123

Original Poster
XiDiS":vl3c66sv said:
I would maybe suggest using the search feature for the forums. There have been a TON of posts about how to start a colony and what you need.
I have, and haven't found what I'm looking for, but thanks for the advice. There are a lot of people on here that know a lot, and could answer me directly.
I know I need to tape a screen over the top, and keep the temps around 90 degrees?

Things like temperature, environment, and diet have been covered on the forums, though I suppose the latter being the less covered. Temperatures should be around 78-97, with humidity around 30%. As long as you have water crystals in there, or moisture rich foods (like carrots, etc) the humidity should take care of itself with those temperatures. Make sure to put the screen more over the food side so that the air and moisture escapes on that side to not only help prevent mold (mold will kill a colony in an instant), but to also avoid the ""housing side"" from having too much light.
Some people if they live in a warm climate do not need to heat their tub, but I personally do despite living in a warm climate. I just turn off the heating pad whenever I notice the ambient temperature is getting too hot in the tub. Human heating pads are better for this job since reptile heating pads get too hot. You can also use heat tape but I have NO idea about that haha. I do know that a lot of people on this forum, a few others, and myself use this heating pad. You want to place it under the egg crate houses. The idea is it'll heat them up all good and toasty but if they decide it's too hot they can either climb higher up the egg crates, or go to the food side.

Speaking for food, on the topic now of food and diet. They're cockroaches. They will eat scrappies so long as there isn't mold present, because again, mold is the kryptonite of dubia. Dubia need a high protein diet, and maybe somebody will come in with some information on "roach chow" recipes. Or maybe even a google search can help out. For me, I use fish flakes, cichlid pellets, and occasionally ground up cat food for protein and they enjoy it. Once I have more time I'm pretty sure I'll come up with a really cool roach chow, but for now I just feed them that but I also feed them a lot of fruits and vegetables! The other day I was making sweet potato chips so i gave them the skin shavings and a couple normal shavings and they ate them up fast. My colony also enjoys strawberries, grapes, carrot, and the leaves on celery stalks. An important note, even though calcium is good for your reptiles, do not feed your dubia calcium. Only dust them, or if you have a separated feeder bin, you could try to feed them the calcium in there.
Dubia roaches appear to really enjoy citrus, especially sweet citrus. Oranges, clementines, tangerines.. Mine will sometimes eat grapefruit but I think it's too bitter. A lot of people swear by citrus promoting crazy breeding, I personally haven't seen it but my colony is still kind of new. I just think it's the cutest thing in the world whenever I see teenage dubia taking of pieces of the pulp and walking away with it haha.

I hope this clears some things up?? There are a lot of good resources, there's one forum on the front page called "for the dubia know it alls" that has information in bullet point form, very clear. If I had some more time I'd add some links to some good threads/websites, but for now this will have to do!! I'll probably compile a list tomorrow.

Good luck! :)

Ronni1123

Original Poster
catsclawfurniture":2444bz4u said:
Things like temperature, environment, and diet have been covered on the forums, though I suppose the latter being the less covered. Temperatures should be around 78-97, with humidity around 30%. As long as you have water crystals in there, or moisture rich foods (like carrots, etc) the humidity should take care of itself with those temperatures. Make sure to put the screen more over the food side so that the air and moisture escapes on that side to not only help prevent mold (mold will kill a colony in an instant), but to also avoid the ""housing side"" from having too much light.
Some people if they live in a warm climate do not need to heat their tub, but I personally do despite living in a warm climate. I just turn off the heating pad whenever I notice the ambient temperature is getting too hot in the tub. Human heating pads are better for this job since reptile heating pads get too hot. You can also use heat tape but I have NO idea about that haha. I do know that a lot of people on this forum, a few others, and myself use this heating pad. You want to place it under the egg crate houses. The idea is it'll heat them up all good and toasty but if they decide it's too hot they can either climb higher up the egg crates, or go to the food side.

Speaking for food, on the topic now of food and diet. They're cockroaches. They will eat scrappies so long as there isn't mold present, because again, mold is the kryptonite of dubia. Dubia need a high protein diet, and maybe somebody will come in with some information on "roach chow" recipes. Or maybe even a google search can help out. For me, I use fish flakes, cichlid pellets, and occasionally ground up cat food for protein and they enjoy it. Once I have more time I'm pretty sure I'll come up with a really cool roach chow, but for now I just feed them that but I also feed them a lot of fruits and vegetables! The other day I was making sweet potato chips so i gave them the skin shavings and a couple normal shavings and they ate them up fast. My colony also enjoys strawberries, grapes, carrot, and the leaves on celery stalks. An important note, even though calcium is good for your reptiles, do not feed your dubia calcium. Only dust them, or if you have a separated feeder bin, you could try to feed them the calcium in there.
Dubia roaches appear to really enjoy citrus, especially sweet citrus. Oranges, clementines, tangerines.. Mine will sometimes eat grapefruit but I think it's too bitter. A lot of people swear by citrus promoting crazy breeding, I personally haven't seen it but my colony is still kind of new. I just think it's the cutest thing in the world whenever I see teenage dubia taking of pieces of the pulp and walking away with it haha.

I hope this clears some things up?? There are a lot of good resources, there's one forum on the front page called "for the dubia know it alls" that has information in bullet point form, very clear. If I had some more time I'd add some links to some good threads/websites, but for now this will have to do!! I'll probably compile a list tomorrow.

Good luck! :)

Thank you so much! :blob8:
This is exactly what I needed to know.
I'm so excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom