I'm officially insane! TWO more beardies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermansmama

Original Poster
tundradragons":1w8r8ur8 said:
if the original builder did not seal them properly, there is really no way to get the smell out. you can disinfect, but it's usually between the joints which without disassembly is nearly impossible to remove, a 40 breeder would be find for them, and many a dragon live a full and happy life in such a viv.Charles

that's what I was worried about--that because they didn't seal them, that the smell is now in the wood! I start working at Petco today, and they have that tank sale, so I think I'm going to just get two 40 gallon breeders and toss the others out on the porch...if someone else wants them, and has the time to really take them apart and clean them, go for it!!

today my biggest concern is the heat! we JUST got an air conditioner for our living room yesterday (we rent the first floor of a house....it's a decent size)...but our windows are small enough we can't get an air conditioner with enough BTU's to cool the whole apartment...so the dining room, which is currently the dragon room until our other roomate moves out, is SUPER hot...and we have a heat advisory today (supposed to be the hottest it has been in 9 years)...so I'm a little nervous about how that's going to work--I guess we can run the little unit and open the curtains between the rooms and hope it keeps everything just a little cooler than normal, rather than one room really cool?

I snuck up on Bruce yesterday to see him eating some salad! As soon as he saw me he stopped and moved to his rock, :roll: must be shy.

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
if you're really worried about the heat you can turn off their basking lights for the day, this will help keep the heat down for them. i would pick up a couple fans also so you get circulation, stale air heats up faster than moving air. :)

good to hear they are eating,

Charles

hermansmama

Original Poster
tundradragons":2srrozsq said:
if you're really worried about the heat you can turn off their basking lights for the day, this will help keep the heat down for them. i would pick up a couple fans also so you get circulation, stale air heats up faster than moving air. :)

good to hear they are eating,

Charles

thanks for the advice! I turned their basking lights off for the day, and the temps stayed within a good range--also had a fan running to keep the air moving :) I'm hoping to get the 40 gallon breeders tomorrow and get rid of the huge stinky wooden ones that are currently making my house smell horrible...and I'm sure they can't be that pleasant to live in for the beardies!!

Bruce and Stella both had baths tonight--is it normal for a beardie to look like they are falling asleep in the tub? Bruce goes to the deepest part of the water, and closes his eyes and won't move unless I move him. Stella on the other hand likes to walk around, and loves when I dribble water over her back, and her head so she can drink it.

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
all 3 of mine will do the sleep thing from time to time, other days it's like they're at a waterpark. lol

glad to hear turning off the baskers helped you for the day. i've done this here on occasion (ie the aircon goes out grrr my lizard room has terrible ventilation) but try to keep it to a minimum as basking is how they digest food.

I've read that beardies only need the baskers about 6 hours a day (after they eat). i've been contemplating changing my lighting setup and adding a third timer (yes i said 3 timers I have one for night heat, one for daylight, and i want to add a new one for the baskers. lol) so i can have my baskers on half of the time I do now to help with electricity costs, (lower costs for me means more beardies). might be something to consider, remember when you run a 40 breeder you may have to go to the next higher wattage bulb for the bask to get the right temps.

i hope all my slang doesn't confuse you lol.

off to hobo for the $10 digital ones this Thursday I guess. lol

hermansmama

Original Poster
tundradragons said:
all 3 of mine will do the sleep thing from time to time, other days it's like they're at a waterpark. lol
the vet told me I shouldn't handle them too much, but it's so darn cute when after the bath I do a beardie burrito and the start to fall asleep right away :)
and no, your slang didn't confuse :) I'll have to consider looking into the basking lights only on for about 6 hours too--although right now with them being super skinny they are getting multiple meals a day, so that might be difficult until they are down to one meal a day

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
I understand your wanting to handle them a lot, but I would have to agree with your vet, less is more right now too much handling and they can get stressed, and I would also agree that until they fatten up a bit and are on a regular feeding schedule that they will need all the basking time they can get.

ok, I'm off to work,

Cheers,

Charles

hermansmama

Original Poster
Yes, I agree about the handling too--right now I only pick them up to take them to the bathroom for a soak, other than that, they are left alone (except for feeding times). They have been handling crickets and a few small medium sized superworms fairly well (normal BM once a day) and I accidentally got the large? (adult?) superworms tonight after work--if I cut them in half and just give Bruce and Stella a half of one would that be okay? I wasn't sure if I should give them a whole one or not--Bruce actually ate some salad tonight, and now Stella seems to be turned off by hers--the vet is away until Monday, but I'm calling again and finding out how long I should expect Stella to have fluid in her belly? I'm not sure if I should be worried yet or not!

On a side note, our first rescue, Sped, is doing very well, she gets calcium twice a day (MBD) and loooves her crickets. She gets so excited when she sees the cup coming, that today she jumped inside before we could dump them out! She's a cute little girl, and has a ton of personality.

Our baby Herman is also doing well--we just moved him into his big boy viv, a 75 gallon, and he's loving the extra space!

hermansmama

Original Poster
So I WAS going to get 40 gallon breeders to move Bruce and Stella into and get rid of their old vivs...BUT I found two GREAT deals on 75 gallon tanks on craigs list, and spent the last two days driving around to get them :) we cleaned them last night, and are now cleaning the tile we had in the old vivs, and setting the new ones up, so we can GET RID of the old ones finally :)

hermansmama

Original Poster
They definately move around in these big tanks--although Saturday Stella started acting like she was getting sick (maybe a respiratory infection?) so we upped her basking temps and over night temps, and moved an air conditioner (got one from a friend) to their room to lower the humidity--she seems to be feeling a bit better, and ate some crickets today (starting her back on food slowly since she was so malnourished from the start of things). I have a vet appointment for the two of them tomorrow as a check up, so hopefully things go well with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brohelphimlol
Top Bottom