I'm just wondering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

xebo

Our Eddie has completely stopped eating his veg. He still eats the crickets but won't touch any veg any more. I'm just wondering if this is his brummation? We have tried offering him different veg now but he wont have any of it. I'm really worried about him now, we can't stock up on crickets cos they all just die (we do give them cricket feed but they just die) after a couple days so there is always a day or two when he doesn't have any but he used to just much on his veg on those days. I'm really worried he's gunna get ill but my partner thinks I am just worrying too much.....help?

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
hi
first off how old is Eddie?
then can you answer some questions about your setup so we can look at it and make sure that it is not something there making him not eat.
What size viv is Eddie in?
What type lights do you have? Coil or Tube? what brand?
Do you have basking and UVB lights?
What substrate do you have in the viv? sand, papertowel, tile,etc..?
how close can he get to the lights?
What are your temps? basking and cool side?
what are you checking them with? digital, stick on, dial?
What do you feed Eddie? please be specific.
How often do you feed these to Eddie?
do you use calcium and vitamins? how often?
Do you give baths? how often?
What live feeders do you feed? how often?
Thanks

xebo

Original Poster
hi
Eddie is about 1 and a half years old.
The viv is 4 ft.
We use a tube but I'm not sure about the brand, my partner generally takes care of that side of things
We do have a basking bulb.
We use wood chippings as a substrate.
He can't get too close to the lights, probably about 15 cms? This is only a rough guess mind, I don't have a rular or tape measure.
The temp at the hot side is 110 and on the cool side is about 80
Unfortunatley we are using the stick on thermometers atm as our digital one broke.
Mainly we feed Ed rocket, cale, butternut squash, parsnips and on occasion we throw in kidney beans and sweetcorn
We give him fresh veg every morning when we switch on his lights but like I've said, recently he's just not touched it.
We do use calcium powder but only on the crickets as he won't eat his veg if it has any one. We do have calcium drops too which goes in his water and mister.
He has a bath about twice a week but he gets so distressed in the bath we don't leave him in very long.
We feed him brown crickets, we used to feed him them about 5/6 days a week but recently, since he stopped eated veg we've been feeding him everyday.

Thanks so much.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
First off if he is eating then there shouldn't be too much concern placed upon him not eating greens. I would dust with a multivitamin dust more then the calcium dust, as per the nutritional dusting chart on this page.
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
Keep giving him greens too though. He may just change up his eating behavior again.
A few things to point out, stick thermometers can be off as much as 20+ degrees, so your temperatures may be way off. I would get rid of that substrate and use a more sanitary one like, carpet, tile, paper towel/newspaper or non-adhesive shelf liner. The chips can also carry a risk of impaction, so just to be on the safe side. The last thing is how old is your UV light?

Crickets -
What are they kept in after you purchase them?
Where are you purchasing them?
What do you feed them?
What is the temperatures where they are stored?

The crickets that I get from my local pet shop seem to live longer then the ones I get from petsmart. I keep my crickets in cricket keeps, they are well ventilated. My crickets stay in room temperature of 73-80 degrees. I feeder my feeders with Orange cricket food (I call it orange crud LOL), a few dragon tasty treats, some dry dragon pellets, and a few greens or vegetables. Keeping in mind I have 4 juvenile dragons, I usually see no cricket casualties in my keeper even when I purchase 300 feeders but, they are usually gone with-in 2-3 days. I have kept adult crickets not for my dragons though for 2 weeks, I didn't feed them much or look after them and 1/3 of them were dead when i put the rest outside.

xebo

Original Poster
Yeah I know about the thermometers, we are just waiting til we can afford to buy a digital one again. Also I did ring up my partner and told him we needed to change our substrate, which he huffed and puffed at since he bought it and was assured that it was good stuff, but after showing him countless websites that state it's not the best he agreeed but he went out and bought sand... Apparently it has been treated and rounded so if Eddie does swallow any it won't cause impaction, but I'm not convinced. The pet shop guy told him it would be fine and is obviously good for dragons as they come from a sandy place and the package had a picture of a dragon on. Is rounded sand any better than normal sand?
Our UV light is pretty new tbh, we bought it about 2 months ago so I don't think there is a problem with that.
The crickets are kept in their boxes which we buy them in. We buy them at a local pet shop, tyranosaurous pets...it's the only one we can get too. We feed the crickets the same thing you do actually, just the orange feed. We just keep them in their box in our room on a shelf, they seem quite happy there. They generally live about a week before they kill each other off, but obviously we want our Ed to be eating a bit of everything...
I do love my baby but he doesn't half cause me some stress.
Recently my partner changed Ed's bark for a wooden bridge (Ed's not been eating for a few weeks now so I know this change has nothing to do with his lack of interest in food) thing that makes him closer to his basking bulb and Ed is just trying to get as close as possible now. He raises himself up til his nose is almost touching the bulb and we keep moving him away for fear of him burning himself, even tonight after I switched off his lights he was still on the bridge with his face towards the bulb...it's def not too cold in there or in our house, it's just so weird!!!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
xebo":16lnqnf5 said:
Yeah I know about the thermometers, we are just waiting til we can afford to buy a digital one again. Also I did ring up my partner and told him we needed to change our substrate, which he huffed and puffed at since he bought it and was assured that it was good stuff, but after showing him countless websites that state it's not the best he agreeed but he went out and bought sand... Apparently it has been treated and rounded so if Eddie does swallow any it won't cause impaction, but I'm not convinced. The pet shop guy told him it would be fine and is obviously good for dragons as they come from a sandy place and the package had a picture of a dragon on. Is rounded sand any better than normal sand?
Our UV light is pretty new tbh, we bought it about 2 months ago so I don't think there is a problem with that.
The crickets are kept in their boxes which we buy them in. We buy them at a local pet shop, tyranosaurous pets...it's the only one we can get too. We feed the crickets the same thing you do actually, just the orange feed. We just keep them in their box in our room on a shelf, they seem quite happy there. They generally live about a week before they kill each other off, but obviously we want our Ed to be eating a bit of everything...
I do love my baby but he doesn't half cause me some stress.
Recently my partner changed Ed's bark for a wooden bridge (Ed's not been eating for a few weeks now so I know this change has nothing to do with his lack of interest in food) thing that makes him closer to his basking bulb and Ed is just trying to get as close as possible now. He raises himself up til his nose is almost touching the bulb and we keep moving him away for fear of him burning himself, even tonight after I switched off his lights he was still on the bridge with his face towards the bulb...it's def not too cold in there or in our house, it's just so weird!!!
A couple things to start, sand is sand and is loose substrate, any loose substrate has it's risk in impaction. Dragons do not live in sand in the wild, this is a false rumor because they are considered a desert lizard. They actually live on a clay/loamy substance, you know the cracked dried clay. Also they live in fields, woods, ect.. here is a post I made showing all the pictures I could find of bearded dragons in the wild, you will see the picture with the clay/loamy substrate in it.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=136526
When you go to a store they have a job to do and that is too sell things, unfortunately sand would turn a better profit then other safer substrates like reptile carpet, and the others you wouldn't even buy at a pet store things like, paper towels or newspaper, non-adhesive shelf liner, and stone tile. I wish I could squash this rumor of sand all in one fell swoop but. Anyways if he is trying to get closer to his basking light then it may not be hot enough for him. The digital thermometer w/probe are about 10$ and one of the best investments you can make in you husbandry. Please keep me updated. :wink:

xebo

Original Poster
Yeah that is what I thought but my partner was so insistant that it would be fine. I'll have to talk to him when he gets back.
Yeah we deffo need to buy another thermometer but it's gunna have to wait a week I think.
Thank you though, you really have been a massive help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom