I'm bewildered (90 + days incubating and still good?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is my 3rd clutch and it's not been like the first two. The first two clutches both hatched between 70 and 75 days incubating at 83 degrees with good humidity. The majority of the babies hatched from both clutches did really well and found great homes. This clutch has me pulling my hair out thinking that I'm doing something wrong. The only difference between the clutches is the temp, they have been incubating at 81 degrees and about 90 percent humidity. They have been incubating for 90 plus days and at about 85 days I was beginning to think they had died because of the fact that some had sort of deflated at 80 days. I took this sign to mean that they were getting ready to hatch, but still nothing and none of them have reinflated, nor do they look that bad other than that. They are still white and have doubled in size since they were laid. Today I decided to candle some of the ones that were still plump to see if there was any movement and low and behold I could see an embryo moving inside of them. I know that this could startle them, but I thought they were dead anyway. I suspect that the already deflated ones have probably died, but I don't understand why it's taking so long this time around for the others. They should have hatched at least by 90 days and they should have hatched a few days after deflating. I should also add that this is the first clutch that I have not rotated the eggs embryo up. Could this be why some of them have died?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
It is due to the lowered temp. I remember one clutch from a member on here that took 110 days to hatch. You are fine they should be popping out soon.

As to the deflated ones if they do not smell do not freeze them as it can take quite a few days sometimes for a baby to fully emerge after pipping.

cinnamongirl

Original Poster
I plan on leaving them in there until they mold. Who woulda though that two degrees temp can make such a big difference. Craziness!

spyder79

Extreme Poster
cinnamongirl":g3uscq4a said:
I plan on leaving them in there until they mold. Who woulda though that two degrees temp can make such a big difference. Craziness!
Yes a mere degree or 2 can make a huge difference on hatch time. But your babies will be large when they hatch and should begin eating rather quickly due to having fully absorbed their yolk sacs. Good luck :D

cinnamongirl

Original Poster
Everything is still fine. They still appear to be alive at least. None of the other eggs have begun to dimple and the ones that have, have not gotten any worse. They're not sweating yet, but I think it should be just about any day due to the size of the embryo that I saw when I candled. It was quite large. I'll let you know when these guys hatch. Who knows, this could be one for the record books on incubation time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom