I'm A Watch Beardie -- Hear Me Roar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy cow! I just spent the last 5 minutes trying to calm Pookie down. He was black all the way down to his vent!

Pookie had been sitting in front of the window all afternoon, and suddenly, he went all stiff, cocked his head and took a flying leap at the screen. Thinking something scared him and he went the wrong way off of the couch, I ran over as fast as I could to rescue my baby. Well, instead of seeing a frightened beardie, I saw something I never thought I would -- Pookie was headbobbing! His beard was completely jet black and he kept banging his head on the screen (which gave him a small nik on his chin) and was trying to go through it. I had no idea he could ever be that upset over something. I looked in the yard and the street and didn't see anything, but then I leaned forward to look closer to the side of the house and then I saw my resident groundhog. A GROUNDHOG! Pookie wanted to attack a groundhog!

His beard and belly are still black, and he's still standing at alert.

Uh oh, my baby is going through the terrible two's!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
That's funny, Gina. I guess this is what you said (in that other thread) you wanted, a normal pet. From what I've read, this is a normal occurrance with males, some just get a little more testy than Pookie has.

Lori

RoachKill

The other day our usually calm Spike freaked out too. She was sitting on my neighbor's lawn while I talked with him. Across the street a lady came out of her house . Suddenly Spike dashed (rapidly waddled) ten feet to the tall grass at the fence and hid. Later I was holding she outside and a UPS truck roared past, brakes squeaking and it stopped, the driver raced back and forth with the package and took off. Spike was indifferent. Maybe she was afraid of the lady because the she is a Realtor.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
beardie parents":ea53c said:
From what I've read, this is a normal occurrance with males, some just get a little more testy than Pookie has.
But he only black bearded and headbobbed - and charged - at the groundhog! He ignored the squirrels, birds, and anything else that moved.

Before last Monday, I don't think he had ever seen a groundhog. Could Pookie think that it's a different type of dog, and was making sure that it didn't move in???

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Gina,

Maybe he was trying to scare the groundhog away so you wouldn't think of making him another house pet. Maybe he figures a turtle and a dog are enough for him to deal with. Who knows! I just think this story is really funny. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lori

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Lol, this sounds like something Zinger did. One day, Zinger was looking out the window. Suddenly he got low to the ground and shuffled hurridly down and ran into a corner, horrified. I looked outside and there was a hawk. Evey time he sees one, he does this and needs about an hour of snuggle time.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
beardie parents":cb48d said:
Gina,

Maybe he was trying to scare the groundhog away so you wouldn't think of making him another house pet. Maybe he figures a turtle and a dog are enough for him to deal with. Who knows! I just think this story is really funny. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lori
:laughhard: She may be right Gina.After all you do have a way of taking in the cute and strange.Maybe this is Pookie's way of telling you no more siblings! :wink: Either that or maybe he is mad at the groundhog for causing such a long winter for us?

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
beardie parents":d0e5c said:
Maybe he was trying to scare the groundhog away so you wouldn't think of making him another house pet. Maybe he figures a turtle and a dog are enough for him to deal with. Who knows!
vickson420":d0e5c said:
:laughhard: She may be right Gina.After all you do have a way of taking in the cute and strange.Maybe this is Pookie's way of telling you no more siblings! :wink: Either that or maybe he is mad at the groundhog for causing such a long winter for us?
That's probably what he was doing, letting me know that I'm not allowed to "foster" another until one of them leaves.

The groundhog was in the backyard earlier tonight and I brought Pookie to the window to have a look. At first he was just surveying, but when he finally realized what was going on, he stood up and started black bearding. Luckily something startled the groundhog and he ran and hid in the brush. Of course, Pookie was still at alert, waiting for the groundhog to come back out. I finally had to tell reassure him that the bad ol' groundhog went bye-bye. After about a minute or so, his black beard finally went away.

ronni1221

Juvie Member
I'll say it again, that's hilarious! I keep giggling to myself whenever I return to this thread. Those pesky groundhogs.... hehe...

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Just a few minutes ago, I saw Pookie poof out his beard, open his mouth so wide that I thought his jaw would dislocate, poof out his beard again, and finally flatten his entire body (while having a poofed beard). I thought he was just stretching and trying to soak up some heat, but then I thought again because the sun had went behind a cloud and there was a cool breeze coming in. I watched him for a couple of seconds, then realized that he was exhibiting a stalk/fight stance, so over to the window I went. WEEELLLLL, not only was Pookie poofed out, but he had a black beard too! "Uh oh!", I thought, "that pesky groundhog must be out again." Well, sure enough, it was, across the street and far right (same place it appears every day).

How could I get Pookie to NOT hate the groundhog??????? Take it in as a pet???????

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
While out side w/ Malibu n my sister malibu crouched n flattenned like a pancake becouse a plane was flying over i told my sis i should have named her Tatoo from fantasy island {old,old show}The Plane,The Plane! :D

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
MALIBUSMOM":944bb said:
While out side w/ Malibu n my sister malibu crouched n flattenned like a pancake becouse a plane was flying over i told my sis i should have named her Tatoo from fantasy island {old,old show}The Plane,The Plane! :D
:laughhard: If Malibu had waved at the plane flying overhead, then definitely rename her Tatoo.

Pookie used to duck and take cover at the sound of a plane coming near. Now he likes to watch it fly by until he can't see it anymore.

The groundhog hatred continues! I also confirmed today that beardies have great eyesight - well, at least Pookie does.

Pookie saw his nemesis this afternoon, but the incredible part was that it was barely visible from the living room window because it was hidden amongst tall weeds and sooooo far away (one of these days I'll have to measure the distance from my house to where the groundhog first appears - the far end of the empty lot). Only the tip of its head was showing.

I never knew that he could see that far. :dontknow:

Beardiemommy137

Hatchling Member
LOL you go Pookie!!! Protect your mommy!!!! I don't know what I'd do if one of our boys did something like that. Link is too little to even black beard, but he does puff out from time to time. Something tells me Jumper would be flipping out black beard and all and try to jump out the window! I'd be the one freaking out in a panic though LOL

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Beardiemommy137":8b51d said:
Something tells me Jumper would be flipping out black beard and all and try to jump out the window! I'd be the one freaking out in a panic though LOL
Oh, trust me, the first time Pookie flew off of the couch and pounced on the window screen, I nearly had a heart attack. I had no idea what he was doing. I thought he was having a psychotic episode :roll:

I'm much calmer about it now, and so is he. All I have to do is walk over to the window and say "It's ok baby. That bad ol' groundhog isn't on your yard. He's not bothering you, he's just eating dinner."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom