Illegal to own a beardie!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixxmum

Hatchling Member
Right now, this law just specifies how they go about banning species thought to be a problem and what the penalties are, etc. There is no list of animals associated with it yet and no reason to assume, at this moment, that bearded dragons will be on it. And, any congress person can propose any legislation that he or she wants to. There are many legislations each year that just go no where.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
sixxmum":52119 said:
Right now, this law just specifies how they go about banning species thought to be a problem and what the penalties are, etc. There is no list of animals associated with it yet and no reason to assume, at this moment, that bearded dragons will be on it. And, any congress person can propose any legislation that he or she wants to. There are many legislations each year that just go no where.

Bearded dragons are non-native species, and therefore, they are within the scope of this bill. The bill suggests that ALL NON-NATIVE species would be disproved if action isn't taken to approve them. There's no telling if those who will be responsible for showing that a species is not a "risk" factor will actually do that for bearded dragons. There's SO many species they'd have to go through this with in such a limited timeline, that it's highly likely bearded dragons wouldn't make the cut.

joprukop22

There is some what of an explanation for this proposal. As a Wildlife manager, it is known that certain exotic species that have either been intentionally imported or accidentally brought over have caused many issues. The brown tree snake has devastated ecosystems in Guam (caused some bird species to go extinct) and has caused black outs because they like climbing power line poles. They have now been brought by ship to Hawaii. Being that there are no native snake species there, this will cause the current ecosystem to reach a new equilibrium and this might boot out other species. Also, many types of exotic pets are causing problems in the Florida everglades. The feral Burmese python population is rapidly increasing as well as monitors, boas, caimans, iguanas, and other bird and mammal species that have been released by irresponsible owners. Most people think that these animals would perish in a foreign habitat but some actually thrive.

So honestly, this bill will probably not pass, but, something does need to be done to keep these wonderful animals out of the hands of people that are ignorant and irresponsible. If it gets worse, then it is possible there could be some changes in the pet trade.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
While I understand your thinking behind it this is just not the way to go about it.What this bill would be doing is giving blanket permission once again to the US government to allow them to do whatever it is THEY want to do.Your intent is not necessarily going to be the end result.Instead of banning these animals(including burms)why not instead push for legislation to make the people who would like to own these animals as pets be required to file for permits and licensing to own?What about the people who have already opened their hearts to these animals and consider them part of their extended family?Are they just supposed to just give them up? Funny I think the opinion would be far different if someone had to turn in their puppy or kitten.I want you to come to my home and explain to my child why the pets he loves and cares for so dearly may have to be taken away from him? I am sorry but to me its a smoke screen just to give the powers that be another reason to once again invade our civil liberties.There is an old saying that always seems to ring true in cases like this, the road to evil is paved with good intentions and that is exactly what this is just another milestone in that road.Education and environmental conciousness is whats needed,raising understanding that the world and the animals on it are a gift and not another human play thing is what we should be focusing on instead of widespread banning and the persecution of all for the actions of the few.

-Vicky

frog

Sub-Adult Member
If this bill does pass, what will we have to do? What CAN we do with our animals? What do they EXPECT us to do?!

IMO- If this bill passes it will cause even more problems. People afraid of being caught with an illegal animal will be releasing them all into the wild, which is what they are supposedly trying to prevent here.

They need to take a totally different approach here.

Sara

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
vickson420":78655 said:
While I understand your thinking behind it this is just not the way to go about it.What this bill would be doing is giving blanket permission once again to the US government to allow them to do whatever it is THEY want to do.Your intent is not necessarily going to be the end result.Instead of banning these animals(including burms)why not instead push for legislation to make the people who would like to own these animals as pets be required to file for permits and licensing to own?What about the people who have already opened their hearts to these animals and consider them part of their extended family?Are they just supposed to just give them up? Funny I think the opinion would be far different if someone had to turn in their puppy or kitten.I want you to come to my home and explain to my child why the pets he loves and cares for so dearly may have to be taken away from him? I am sorry but to me its a smoke screen just to give the powers that be another reason to once again invade our civil liberties.There is an old saying that always seems to ring true in cases like this, the road to evil is paved with good intentions and that is exactly what this is just another milestone in that road.Education and environmental conciousness is whats needed,raising understanding that the world and the animals on it are a gift and not another human play thing is what we should be focusing on instead of widespread banning and the persecution of all for the actions of the few.

-Vicky
I agree with you 100%, Vicky, and that's why I think we all need to write to the representatives, to let them know that we are out here!

joprukop22

ashesc212":f4e69 said:
vickson420":f4e69 said:

-Vicky
I agree with you 100%, Vicky, and that's why I think we all need to write to the representatives, to let them know that we are out here!
Agreed.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member

FANTASTIC NEWS FROM USARK!!! KEEP "EM COMING!!!! The deadline is April 21st!!!

URGENT Reminder HR669

I am Happy to report that the REPTILE NATION has awoken!!! Hundreds of letters began to pour into Tom Wolfe's office yesterday. Keep it up we need thousands more. The sleeping Giant is awake and Leading the charge in OPPOSING HR669! But we need to keep the Giant awake and get him to deliver the death blow to HR669.

If you have written your letters to the Committee on Insular Affairs, Oceans & Wildlife opposing HR669... Thank you!!!-- now go get your friends and colleagues to do the same!

If you have NOT written your letters.... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!! We are running out of time. All letters need to be to Tom Wolfe's office by Tuesday April 21st. That means your final opportunity will be to OVERNIGHT a package to him NO LATER THAN MONDAY! Get it DONE!!!

ALL LETTERS MUST BE TO TOM WOLFE'S OFFICE BY TUESDAY APRIL 21st!!!!!

REMEMBER the 3 most effective way to influence the Subcommittee and Congress as a whole:

1. Personal appearances in Congressional offices.
2. Real Letters delivered in mass.
3. Phone Calls.

BrittanyS

Hatchling Member
Is there any way that we can merge these topics and just make one big topic about it? It would be easier for people to get their messages across and it wouldn't clutter the board.

HowlinGaleDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Retired Moderator
Want to know what I think...

They are trying to turn the US into Natzi Germany....Take away every little right we have

I'd like to see them TRY to take my babies I will make Rambo look like a Kitten

hr669.jpg

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
spyder79":662ab said:
at this point the only animals that this bills covers are animals that are possibly dangerous to human beings. but i think yall are going up in arms on this for no reason. they have been trying to get bills just like this passed for the past 15 to 20 years and it hasnt happened yet.

You're right spyder79 but eventually they will succeed, if we don't say or do anything to let them know we are unhappy. This is just another way for our elected officials to tell us how to live our lives, what pets are accepted. From what I understand, Feral cats and dogs are just as much of a problem to native wild life as the reptiles they are attacking are.

Eventide

Hatchling Member
spyder79":bb500 said:
at this point the only animals that this bills covers are animals that are possibly dangerous to human beings. but i think yall are going up in arms on this for no reason. they have been trying to get bills just like this passed for the past 15 to 20 years and it hasnt happened yet.

Maybe, but who gets to decide what animals are dangerous to human beings? Politicians. Reptiles have a bad rap all across the board. We all know how people react to bearded dragons--there was a thread very recently about people's reactions to seeing beardies, and some of them were negative to the point where people thought the lizards were deadly. This isn't limited to a few people; the majority of people out there are completely ignorant about exotics, especially reptiles. Case in point, my parents still believe my ball python will escape her cage while I'm sleeping and strangle me. If this bill passes and the politicians get to decide what's dangerous and what's not, you better believe they'll put all snakes on the list, if not all reptiles and probably a good fraction of birds and fish, too. People don't like to put in the effort to research and teach themselves; they prefer to stick with what they think they know and make decisions based on that.

Personally, I don't want to take the chance that any of my pets might end up on the list. If we can block it at this stage, we don't have to worry about it going any further (until next year).

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Eventide":ff907 said:
Personally, I don't want to take the chance that any of my pets might end up on the list. If we can block it at this stage, we don't have to worry about it going any further (until next year).

Amen to that.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
ronni1221":d4854 said:
Eventide":d4854 said:

Amen to that.

I second that!

0mega9401

Hatchling Member
i remember they tried something like this twice before and it failed hopefully this will 2 because theres zero chance of them coming in my home and taking my babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom