I'd like to know what went wrong... because I have no clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyAMP88

Hatchling Member
Yes to back up what protiemama said.. it was most likely not the quality, but the mealworms itself. They aren't ideal for Beardies because they are mostly hard shell, with little meat or nutrition. I believe you said he was 7". Even the small mealworms contain too much shell for a smaller Beardie. As a treat I feed my Beardie who is 13" no more than 2-4 a day. I might just stop altogether now. But for those who do feed mealworms, it's best to feed when the Beardies are larger because their stomachs can contain more where as when they're small, it just blocks up their insides. But as protiemama mentioned, the other worms are much safer and nutrional.

And definitely let us know what kind of UVB it was. ReptiGLO's aren't good. ReptiSUN's are what you want.

DragonFire12000

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
protiemama":e3a64 said:
Awww, Kendyl. I'm so sorry about Mushu. :cry: Also sorry to hear your friends little one died as well. :(
Yes, mistakes do hurt a lot. :( That's why we are going to try to fix this- before you get another one. so you don't have to go through this again. :) Hopefully Tracie will have an idea or two and this will help too.

Now let's get started. You never said- Is your uvb Repti-SUN or Repti-GLO. It makes a big difference. You will want Repti-SUN 10.0 for your dragon's best health. Also 10 gal is way too small. Get on Craig's list or go to some yard sales and you can often find cheap ones that way.
Your temps may not have been as spot on as it looked. Stick on thermometers can be off by 10-20 degrees. Get yourself a digital. As I said they are only $12-$14 at WalMart. It makes a big difference.

The main culprit in dear Mushu's passing was probably the meal worms. :( Even small ones are mostly shell and will bind a dragon up inside. Young dragons have a couple of kinks in their intestons and things get caught up in there and won't pass on through. Crickets are fine and Phoenix worms are great. PWs are small and all soft AND they are loaded with calcium naturally. You can order them and your crix online and they come right to your door! They are really cheaper that way even with shipping. And feeders bought online are less prone to disease than those from the pet shop.

Tracie can you add to this? I'm sure I'm missing something. :dontknow:

Sandy H
Where can i get the Phoenix Worms and crickets online? And I am currently on Craigslist right now accually. Found a great deal on a 75 gallon tank :) and they live near me too, so I could pick it up easily :) I go there often anyways.... so why not??? And my light was av ReptiSUN.

DragonFire12000

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AndyAMP88":9bc2f said:
Yes to back up what protiemama said.. it was most likely not the quality, but the mealworms itself. They aren't ideal for Beardies because they are mostly hard shell, with little meat or nutrition. I believe you said he was 7". Even the small mealworms contain too much shell for a smaller Beardie. As a treat I feed my Beardie who is 13" no more than 2-4 a day. I might just stop altogether now. But for those who do feed mealworms, it's best to feed when the Beardies are larger because their stomachs can contain more where as when they're small, it just blocks up their insides. But as protiemama mentioned, the other worms are much safer and nutrional.

And definitely let us know what kind of UVB it was. ReptiGLO's aren't good. ReptiSUN's are what you want.
It was a ReptiSUN.

AndyAMP88

Hatchling Member
There are MANY online sites that carry crickets. It's the phoenix worms that are a little harder to get ahold of. Some that I know that carry both are mulberryfarms.com and premiumcrickets.com .. This way you can save a bit on shipping if you order both at the same time from the same company. And what price is the 75 gallon tank? I bought a "55" gallon tank off of craigslist for $50, but when I measured it when I got home, it turned out to be a 75 gallon! LOL

DragonFire12000

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AndyAMP88":b3779 said:
There are MANY online sites that carry crickets. It's the phoenix worms that are a little harder to get ahold of. Some that I know that carry both are mulberryfarms.com and premiumcrickets.com .. This way you can save a bit on shipping if you order both at the same time from the same company. And what price is the 75 gallon tank? I bought a "55" gallon tank off of craigslist for $50, but when I measured it when I got home, it turned out to be a 75 gallon! LOL
Its $100. Not so bad. Money isnt an issue any more :) My dad just gave me a thing full of change that has over $90! And I gave my brother $20, but my mom is going to pay me $20 more because she was supposed to give it to her, but im paying him, so shes paying me 60 instead of 40! :D

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Where to order depends on where you live. West of the rockies, Mullberry farms definatly. But delivery to the east is expensive. In the southeast- go with Ghann's or Premium crix. :D Phoenix worms. com is great, but you have to buy a large number and then get your crix from someone else. I find both Ghan's and Premium have healthy, fresh PWs and a nice overage on the crix. Last time I ordered 1000 crix from Ghann's there were at least 200 extra. :D
There several other sites. Let us know what reagon you are in and we can narrow down the recomendations.

Sandy h

DragonFire12000

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
protiemama":fed73 said:
Where to order depends on where you live. West of the rockies, Mullberry farms definatly. But delivery to the east is expensive. In the southeast- go with Ghann's or Premium crix. :D Phoenix worms. com is great, but you have to buy a large number and then get your crix from someone else. I find both Ghan's and Premium have healthy, fresh PWs and a nice overage on the crix. Last time I ordered 1000 crix from Ghann's there were at least 200 extra. :D
There several other sites. Let us know what reagon you are in and we can narrow down the recomendations.

Sandy h
I live in Pennsylvania. Like the east or north east :)

AndyAMP88

Hatchling Member
Yeah since you're in the East, go with premiumcrickets.com or another east coast business. Mulberryfarms will charge more to ship over there. And nice turnout on the money :wink:

DragonFire12000

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AndyAMP88":38d08 said:
Yeah since you're in the East, go with premiumcrickets.com or another east coast business. Mulberryfarms will charge more to ship over there. And nice turnout on the money :wink:
Thanks. I have 160 dollars. That should cover the cage and the light + bulb + thermometer... right?

DragonFire12000

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AndyAMP88":be4d3 said:
Depending on the light and bulb you get, yes it should.
Well, I'm not sure what wattage would be good for a 75 gallon tank, think you could help me out? Picking up the tank soon! (NEXT WEEK) Then I think I am going to do what kmc5 did. Its really cool. Check out her blog (I'll post a link at the end!) Her blog will show you what she did.

~Kendyl
ublog_viewblog.php?bu=8452 <---- link to kmc5's blog.

AndyAMP88

Hatchling Member
That's very cool. I had saw that post too. With my 75 gallon, I use a 150w ZooMed basking bulb. The distance from the bottom of the bulb to the log is 11". I get at that spot a reading of 108*.. Depending on house temperature, height etc, you may want to lower or raise the basking spot. Although many people save money and use household bulbs but I don't know what wattage. Typically the basking spot is much closer in these cases but it works well.

DragonFire12000

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AndyAMP88":2182b said:
That's very cool. I had saw that post too. With my 75 gallon, I use a 150w ZooMed basking bulb. The distance from the bottom of the bulb to the log is 11". I get at that spot a reading of 108*.. Depending on house temperature, height etc, you may want to lower or raise the basking spot. Although many people save money and use household bulbs but I don't know what wattage. Typically the basking spot is much closer in these cases but it works well.
That sounds good. And I found out that the bulb I was using for Mushu was a Night time bulb, could this be a problem? I need to be more observing :(

AndyAMP88

Hatchling Member
Yeah generally night-time bulbs, including black and red lights, are bad for Beardies. I'm not sure exactly what the source of the problem is, but from my understanding it is harmful to the Beardies skin and eyes. They need bright white lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom