I was an unwilling dragon owner now obsessed with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm Nate, and I hired just kinda introducing myself because I'm new and just giving everyone some background on me.

The Short Version:
I have always HATED lizards with a passion. I had no interest in them whatsoever and thought they were creepy looking and pointless. However, 45 days ago my little 8yr old girl and her affinity to pull at my heart strings really firmed the tides, and I am now infatuated with bearded dragons. :)

The Story:
My little 8 yr old girl wanted a bearded dragon ever since she learned what they were at the age of six. Naturally, me half lizards and thinking they are a gross looking and useless pet, always made up reasons why she couldn't get one. Then, 2 years ago I finally told her that as long as she child take care of her new puppy very well until it's at least 2 years old, then I would allow her to get her coveted bearded dragon.

So, a month ago we were at a pet store and I had long forgotten about that conversation because it was so brief and made up on the fly at the time as just a quick distracting excuse as to why she couldn't get a dragon at that time.... Well, that little 6 year old that is now 8 DEFINITELY didn't forget!

We made it just past the bearded dragons area and I noticed her counting on her fingers, then she suddenly grabs my hand startled-like and stopped dead in her tracks.

"Daddy!!!" She said with the biggest smile of surprise in her face, "McKenzie turned 2 years old last week! I can get my bearded dragon now!!!!"

She then recited word for word what I had told her, took a few steps back and immediately picked out her baby bearded dragon she'd like to get. Well, needless to say, against my wisges, I bought her that little freak of nature and she curdled it the whole way home.

After getting home, I helped her setup a 55 gallon tank for it and let her go to town decorating, setting up, and etc. When I came back in the room, I noticed she had taken all of her Barbie doll furniture, beds, blankets, and other little toys, and built and entire lavish home setup for bet baby bearded dragon. :p

After having my friend go over her setup and sterilize everything and pick it all the things she couldn't have in there and whatnot, the journey began...

At first, I hated it. But, after my little girl begged me to touch it, I obliged. Then, she begged me to hold it days later, and I once again gave in. After holding thst little guy on my lap and watching him fall asleep, I immediately fell in love with it!

We now have TWO bearded dragons. Each in their own 55 gallon homes. Hehe :)

I'm glad that little girl tugged on my heart strings, because I would've otherwise never knew just how wrong I was, and how much I would absolutely adore these creatures.

Diego1228

NateDiggity":3htjp7jy said:
Hi, I'm Nate, and I hired just kinda introducing myself because I'm new and just giving everyone some background on me.

The Short Version:
I have always HATED lizards with a passion. I had no interest in them whatsoever and thought they were creepy looking and pointless. However, 45 days ago my little 8yr old girl and her affinity to pull at my heart strings really firmed the tides, and I am now infatuated with bearded dragons. :)

The Story:
My little 8 yr old girl wanted a bearded dragon ever since she learned what they were at the age of six. Naturally, me half lizards and thinking they are a gross looking and useless pet, always made up reasons why she couldn't get one. Then, 2 years ago I finally told her that as long as she child take care of her new puppy very well until it's at least 2 years old, then I would allow her to get her coveted bearded dragon.

So, a month ago we were at a pet store and I had long forgotten about that conversation because it was so brief and made up on the fly at the time as just a quick distracting excuse as to why she couldn't get a dragon at that time.... Well, that little 6 year old that is now 8 DEFINITELY didn't forget!

We made it just past the bearded dragons area and I noticed her counting on her fingers, then she suddenly grabs my hand startled-like and stopped dead in her tracks.

"Daddy!!!" She said with the biggest smile of surprise in her face, "McKenzie turned 2 years old last week! I can get my bearded dragon now!!!!"

She then recited word for word what I had told her, took a few steps back and immediately picked out her baby bearded dragon she'd like to get. Well, needless to say, against my wisges, I bought her that little freak of nature and she curdled it the whole way home.

After getting home, I helped her setup a 55 gallon tank for it and let her go to town decorating, setting up, and etc. When I came back in the room, I noticed she had taken all of her Barbie doll furniture, beds, blankets, and other little toys, and built and entire lavish home setup for bet baby bearded dragon. :p

After having my friend go over her setup and sterilize everything and pick it all the things she couldn't have in there and whatnot, the journey began...

At first, I hated it. But, after my little girl begged me to touch it, I obliged. Then, she begged me to hold it days later, and I once again gave in. After holding thst little guy on my lap and watching him fall asleep, I immediately fell in love with it!

We now have TWO bearded dragons. Each in their own 55 gallon homes. Hehe :)

I'm glad that little girl tugged on my heart strings, because I would've otherwise never knew just how wrong I was, and how much I would absolutely adore these creatures.

Awesome Story ! I would love to see your new additions :blob8: Its funny how attached we can get to these creatures.

NateDiggity

Original Poster
Thanks! Yeah, it is really mine blowing how your heart can change in an instant. The 1st one she got from a 'family owned pet store' in town here, and they're supposed to be the "best" from word of mouth. However, they REALLY are lacking in the Dragon department. We got a baby that was "3 months old" we were told but, after doing research, it is VERY clear that it wasn't 3 months old. It was probably BARELY a month. But, if that's not bad enough, we had hon evaluated/checked out by a herp vet in the area and they were ASTOUNDED at the lack of care that was given to him/her. Dehydrated, malnourished, burn marks (?), and a couple other things he noted. So, it was an uphill battle with him in the beginning, but everyday he's more and more livelier and healthier looking. :)

I'll attach pics here for you to see him when we first got him, and now, and the new addition. I also have no clue what the name of the color/style is for our new one. *(If I can figure out how to add photos from mobile)

NateDiggity

Original Poster
Here's a couple photos from the baby sleeping and his little Barbie Bed and pillow setup. As well as a photo of the new addition of the Juvie. I REALLY like the color of the Juvie, but I'm not sure what color its even called.

89053-5316079375.jpg
89053-6107223281.jpg

This picture is what the baby looked like on the very first day we got him from the 'family owned' post store:

89053-5934769879.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom