I want to start breeding, Please comment on Mating Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
I know there is a thread that warns against this, I want to see the dragon population expand here in our Country where these dragons seem to have a comfortable time living on :)

Ok, my dragons are both about 3 years old already.

Here are a couple of questions:
1.) I am not sure if my dragon's are siblings, is it alright to do line breeding with Bearded Dragons?
- I asked the petshop and he doesn't know. He got this from a breeder who has several dragons. They were sent to him together so no way to find out.
2.) When is the right time? Is there an ovulation period? From what I have read, it will be around November-March so that is why I tried breeding them.

Things to know about my dragons:
1.) They are now on exclusive Mustard Greens diet (since about 2 years old)
2.) They are kept on separate tanks, they can't see each other.
3.) The Male, Chong, is smaller than the female.
4.) If the weather is cold, I give them MVB light, but on normal days, I don't, it's here in the Philippines.

Here is a video of my initial try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0fprYcVMKw

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Ok Muz,
I will take a swing. Let Me start by saying Im blunt and to the point. NOTHING im about to say is meant as a slight or trying to be rude.
I saw the video, going by how they look they may be related. Its impossible to tell. I cannot speak for other breeders, but I will not line breed.
If I know a dragons blood line and I know most of mine know because I am producing them Its easy to avoid this. When 1st starting its alot harder.
Your dragons should have UVB everyday.
They have to have protein a couple times a week.
If you breed your female now, after 2 years of a vegitarian diet she may get sick or die from egg production.
Your dragons lack of a true UVB cycle is probably 1 of the reasons they are not breeding.
If you truly want to breed you have alot more research to do and alot of changing to your regular care, before you attempt it.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Not rude at all and well taken.

Well, they do get fresh sunshine everyday. After a fresh bath, they get to dry up under the Sun for like an hour before I put them back in their tanks.

As you suggested, I will increase more UVB exposure about 3 hours a day.

I will also try to introduce Super worms again. How many pieces a day should I give them? I have read before somewhere that some go just go pure veggies after a year, that is what lead me to doing so.

Right now they feed twice a day on Mustard Greens and are eating very well. Will have the PM meal become super worms again.

I will also look for another male to bread my female just to make sure.

Thanks!

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Sir.

Yes this is the site that I referred to before.
It highly recommends that we our dragons "mustard greens" Daily which I am already doing.

This is where I got the notion that as a adults it is alright to feed them this alone and they will get their full supplementation.

I just purchased 1000 pieces of Super Worms today.

How many do you recommend I feed her in a day/week to prep her for breeding guys?

I will also extend the MVB to 8 hours a day+ 1 hour Direct Morning Sunlight.

When do you think the next breeding season will be so I can find an Male Stud for that too :)

Thanks Guys!

DragonsNDoodles

Juvie Member
How is their heat also? They should have access to a basking spot of about 110 degrees F. This is necessary for digestion and should be available every day for 12 hours a day.

What MVB do you have? Some of them are not adequate and are even harmful. Also, the direct sunlight can't be through a window since the glass filters the UV rays.

If your dragon becomes healthy enough and gets onto the correct schedule, she may be ready by next March, one year from this month.

The mustard greens are recommended as a daily item, but that's in addition to live insects. You should give both dragons a salad in the morning and about 5-10 superworms per afternoon.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just wanted to mention, if they are exposed to natural sun for an hour a day, you don't need any UVB bulbs, the sun is far better than all day under any bulb. They do still need heat bulbs for a hot basking area in the tank though,also because they need a brightly lit environment. I've done that way for years.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey guys.

I am from the Philippines so we don't really need the heat bulbs. The temps hear are quite warm, very similar to their natural habitat.

Our daytime temps can reach up to 90+ down to about 85 on a rainy day.
Night time temps go only to about 75-80.

There is no local care sheet so I had to adjusts everything based on care sheets for cold countries like the U.S.

@AHBD: That is what I have been doing, giving them direct sunlight instead of UVB. 1 hour daily after a bath.

I am using REPTILE UV MVB.

One of the reasons I lessened MVB is because it gets hot as well and I am afraid I might be giving to much heat, of course they can go to the cool side of the tank, but I tell you, it gets hot in here :)

Here is an old thread I have in this forum when my dragons were still young:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=93329&p=729908#p729908

Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Even though it's hot where you are, the dragon's cage should have a bright light in it, beardies don't do well in a poorly lit cage, the brightness affects them and contributes to their behavior, including breeding.You can use a regular household 40-60 watt to make it bright. Either that or be in a very bright room. By the way, when you say they get morning sun, do you take them out in it ? As Dragons and Doodles mentioned, the UVB can't come through glass. Just wanted to be sure of that. Your dragons look quite healthy and robust [ even though the male is small] for the all- vegetable diet they have been on.

DragonsNDoodles

Juvie Member
They do require higher heat than you are providing though. As I mentioned, they need a basking spot of about 105-110, and they need the bright white light to stimulate them.

It may be hot in your country to you, but your body heats itself, and theirs don't. Your body stays at 98.6, and theirs can only be the same temperature as the room they are in, so you have to provide heat for them! They need the basking spot, the warm side, and the cool side.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Since tank is on my Pateo, they get bright light all day :) After they Bath I move the out in the garden to play, supervised of course for an 30min/hour to get sunlight, then put them back after. No glass.

Here is a picture of my tanks:

1e732d51.jpg

Here is a picture of their play area:

a8a7ee92.jpg

Female had about 15 worms today :)

The Male was reluctant to it, he has always been the shy one. Will try again tom.

UVB is schedule to be on now from 6am to 4pm. This will increases the temps of the tanks basking area to about 40F.

I hope I got these right :)

There is no such thing as UVB overdose right?

Also to save electricity, I was thinking of moving the Light in the middle to share it with both tanks. Would that be ok?

I hope with these adjustments my female can be ready to breed next year. She is a good eater. Healthy looking. Lots of arm waving. The male is more shy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom