I want to leave my beardies outside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbradford

I want to leave my two beardies in their outside viv all the time. I live in South Africa on the same latitude as the beardies do in Australia. My main concern is that the recommended min temp is 12 deg/C. I've checked on the Aussie temperatures, and the region where they are found has an average ANNUAL low of 12deg/C. Then I checked on the average low for JULY. (midwinter here!) The average low for July varies from 3deg/C to 9deg/C, with the largest area having an average of 6deg/C.
This is more or less what we have here, and because of the 12deg/C recommendations I always brought them in at night in winter. They are 18 months old now and have been living outside permanently since the warm weather started, about 5 weeks now.
In winter it warms up very early, up to 18deg/C by 8am, so with a low of 3deg/C in the morning, surely they can handle those conditions?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
i contacted a friend of mine he should be here sometime today. he can help you out on this. its a little above my head but standbye help is on the way :mrgreen:

mbradford

Original Poster
spyder79":7aa32 said:
i contacted a friend of mine he should be here sometime today. he can help you out on this. its a little above my head but standbye help is on the way :mrgreen:
Ok, thanks, I'm curious to get feedback on this! I suppose the ideal person to ask would be some Australian biologist who has done a study of Beardies in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yricia
Top Bottom