I think my beardie has pieces of collard piled in his throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBL3

Hatchling Member
:cry:

I gave him some fresh collards yesterday as I usually do... I noticed an hour or so later he was opening his mouth trying to clear or swallow something.... and noticed quite a few not very well chewed pieces of collard in there.......

Well when the lights went out instead of his usual nestling, he was still hanging out with his head perched. I got a feeling that his throat is probably bothering him..... IE: swollen, not comfortable etc.... The next day, after work he seemed ok... he hasn't been "yaking" his throat or anything but, again tonight i see him not really settling in like he normally would, head perched up, and eyes fairly open.....

I tried using a credit card to carefully open his mouth and look down but he's not very happy about the idea (obviously) I'm not sure what to do..... Will the collards eventually move through or down? are they stuck there? Should i try seeing a vet? :cry:

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just noticed him (after my post).... in the dark... like he's annoyed already..... trying to rectify his throat..... Damn i feel so bad for the little fella...... I wanna open his mouth and remove them but i don't see t happening.... :cry:

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
he's sleepin like this.....

sx128j.jpg

:?

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Uh... ok, im just going to assume that I'm over-reacting.....since no one cares enough to give any feed-back as usual....

shrugwq.gif

MsWanda10166

Hatchling Member
mmmmmmmmmm I am not sure what to do here. I hope that me posting will get you some more traffic, and someone who knows more than me can help.
I am not saying that this is a good idea, but just what I personally would do in this situation. I would pull my dragons mouth open like you do to medicate or force feed, then I would stick a Popsicle stick in there to keep it open, and use a q-tip to see if I could get the greens out, maybe my finger. I think this is a two person job, and I would only do it if I thought it were life and death choking.

pepsicola

SBL3":3vdglcvb said:
:cry:

I gave him some fresh collards yesterday as I usually do... I noticed an hour or so later he was opening his mouth trying to clear or swallow something.... and noticed quite a few not very well chewed pieces of collard in there.......

Well when the lights went out instead of his usual nestling, he was still hanging out with his head perched. I got a feeling that his throat is probably bothering him..... IE: swollen, not comfortable etc.... The next day, after work he seemed ok... he hasn't been "yaking" his throat or anything but, again tonight i see him not really settling in like he normally would, head perched up, and eyes fairly open.....

I tried using a credit card to carefully open his mouth and look down but he's not very happy about the idea (obviously) I'm not sure what to do..... Will the collards eventually move through or down? are they stuck there? Should i try seeing a vet? :cry:

my runt beardie had the same problem its not caught in his throaght but in his beard which is extremley painful
you dont have to take him to the vets you can get it out yourself if you want to with a pair of tweezers just remember once youve got it out his appetite will drop for a few day after as his beard and throaght are recovering

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hmmm.... I tried using a credit card but the poor guy just jerks his head and i feel bad.. i don't want to apply too much pressure in his jaws and break anything, get bit, or anything... It won't move out on its own?

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
yea, from the picture he doesn't look too happy, that's for sure. i saw your post earlier but didn't respond because I don't know what to suggest! was hoping someone more experienced would hop in. i recently had my beardie into the vet, and watched how he examined the throat- basically he grabbed some skin under the chin and pulled it down. worked pretty good, i must say, and apparently no harm done, other than a brief black beard. if he's still acting like something's stuck, then my best guess would be he needs some help getting it out. help he probably won't welcome, but that's the way it goes. how you go about it is going to be up to you- but i'd try to get in there somehow and at least see if there's still something there, and if so, get it out... if you absolutely cannot, then perhaps try and enlist the help of someone who can...

pepsicola

SBL3":29hfg46m said:
hmmm.... I tried using a credit card but the poor guy just jerks his head and i feel bad.. i don't want to apply too much pressure in his jaws and break anything, get bit, or anything... It won't move out on its own?
its a two person job you will need to use tweesers and also have a syringe filled with water the other person can use this to hold their mouth open and also swill out their mouth with it once youve got it out u will need to place ur thumb on their throaght and drag your thumb down and slightly pull on the beardto get them to open their mouth if you try this and you cant do it get someone more experienced to help u
hope this helped

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I'm happy to report that the little fella, pulled through on his... own... He's much more animated and charismatic again..... I can press on his beard now and it's empty.... it flattens..... :D
So ecstatic for him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom