I think my bearded dragon laid an egg. Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogsong

Hi,

I have two bearded dragons that I now know are a male and a female. I keep them in separate tanks because one seemed to be dominate and was stressing out the other one. But one day, about 10 days ago, she was trying to climb the walls to get out all day, so I thought maybe she was lonely or depressed. I put her in with the other bearded dragon for a while, which I had done before. But this time, within minutes he had grabbed hold of the back of her neck and bred her. That was the first time I had seen that happen and I took her out immediately afterward.

Anyway, it's been about 10 days since then and I think she laid one egg. I know it's too early for her to be laying eggs after only 10 days and I know they lay more than one. And if it is an egg, it's obviously a bad egg. So, now I'm worried about her. She's only 9 months old.

I am posting a picture of what I think is an egg so you can tell me for sure if that's what it is. Also, I'm wondering if I should be worried and what this could mean.

bdegg.jpg

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Frogsong":2mljzvn7 said:
Hi,

I have two bearded dragons that I now know are a male and a female. I keep them in separate tanks because one seemed to be dominate and was stressing out the other one. But one day, about 10 days ago, she was trying to climb the walls to get out all day, so I thought maybe she was lonely or depressed. I put her in with the other bearded dragon for a while, which I had done before. But this time, within minutes he had grabbed hold of the back of her neck and bred her. That was the first time I had seen that happen and I took her out immediately afterward.

Anyway, it's been about 10 days since then and I think she laid one egg. I know it's too early for her to be laying eggs after only 10 days and I know they lay more than one. And if it is an egg, it's obviously a bad egg. So, now I'm worried about her. She's only 9 months old.

I am posting a picture of what I think is an egg so you can tell me for sure if that's what it is. Also, I'm wondering if I should be worried and what this could mean.

bdegg.jpg

actually it is not too early. I have a female that lays half her clutch at day 10 and the other half at day 20-25 every time.

That egg is a severly decalcified egg leading me to believe that after her being bred you didn't adjust her diet to form eggs well. With that said. her pushing that egg out is a extreme warning sign that you need to setup a lay bin for her asap. If not not complications can arrise from her holding onto the eggs.

Frogsong

Original Poster
Thank you Spyder.

I dust her crickets with calcium and vitamins every time I feed her. What else can I do to get more calcium in her? Should I sprinkle some on her vegetables too?

I do have a lay bin in with her now, but she doesn't seem to be paying much attention to it.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Frogsong":d2545s40 said:
Thank you Spyder.
I do have a lay bin in with her now, but she doesn't seem to be paying much attention to it.

This is the reason I do not suggest a "in tank" lay bin. Using a larger bin outside the tank will make her dig and lay. You just need to add a heat light to the lay bin outside your tank and let her do her thing. It can tank a while sometimes but she will lay.

as to her diet you should not use vitamin dust daily 1-2 times a week is the suggested. Typical for calci-dust is 3-4 times a week but when they are gravid you should put it on every meal to give her the reserves she will need for producing eggs.

Frogsong

Original Poster
I went to check on her and she had dug a hole all the way to the bottom of the tank and was still trying to dig deeper, so I thought I didn't make it deep enough for her. I went out to mix more sand and soil to add for her and by the time I did that and went back in she had laid a few eggs and is still laying as I type.

The eggs look healthy from what I could see of them. Not at all like the one I found on her tank floor this morning. I think that one just looked that way because it was lying under the heat lamp all night. It was dry and hard when I found it. It's shriveled even more since then and is now completely yellow.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
considering how young she is and if you ask me knowledge wise you arent prepared I suggest freezing them

spyder79

Extreme Poster
considering how young she is and if you ask me knowledge wise you arent prepared I suggest freezing them

Frogsong

Original Poster
In addition to the one dried egg that I found in her tank, she laid 19 more.
One collapsed, the other 18 are fertile and growing.

I just posted a video on Youtube of one of her eggs being candled and a baby wiggling inside. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom