I think I over spoiled him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpstateNYPets

Hatchling Member
Has anyone else out there bought your dragon(s) something new to eat, but after eating it they do not want the previous foods?

I recently started using Superworms for my 3 yeard old (20 inch) beardie. Well, ever since the first time I gave them to him, he has not wanted to go back on his crickets. It's like he only wants the Superworms. I've been putting crickets in there everyday, only having to take them out before bedtime, but when I offer Superworms he goes nuts.

I know Superworms as a primary staple is not good since they are fatty and what not, so how do I convince him that crickets are still just as yummy? He doesn't eat the crickets so I feel bad that he isn't eating, so I usually give him 2 Superworms in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 2 at night (sometimes he gets a couple extra but usually only 4-8 worms a day).

Personally, I think he's just a lazy lizard and knows the worms drop in front of his face and they are easy to catch. Crickets on the other hand, are a pain in the butt, he usually gives up on them after a couple misses. What a spoiled rotten brat, he knows he'll get his way with me! :whip: What do I do? He needs to eat the crickets!

Ashleabdlover

Hatchling Member
if you just stop offering the superworms, and dont feel bad if hes not eating!
after awhile he'll get hungry enough, and just eat the crickets.

he knows your weakness, if he doesnt eat the crickets, then he'll get superworms..

just dont fall into the pressure :wink:

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Fat chance. :lol: Once Bogie tasted supers he had no interest in crix. He would however still eat his phoenix worms and salads, at least until he decided to try brumation. Good luck with the crix, but don't hold your breath. Of course there are those who will say try roaches. If you can get past the gross out factor, they are supposed to work with the pickest dragon.

Sandy H

eddie74

Eddie is a little over a year old and hasnt eaten crickets in many months. I held off for about a week once giving him anything but greens and crickets and he still refused to eat them after I introduced worms. He is thin so I am not concerned about his weight. I breed the superworms too which are easy to do and dont smell; I think the Beatles have OCD and keep the cage so clean. I gave up breeding crickets when he was still eating them due to the foul smell.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
It's common for dragons to refuse to eat crickets once they've had another type of bug introduced into their diet. Superworms are fine as a staple for an adult dragon, their shell actually binds a fair bit of the fat to it (so it passes through your dragon and isn't digested) making them healthier for your dragon than they look at first glance. An adult should get 25-30 superworms a week if you're using them as your staple (would be 50 if you're using crickets, and most other bugs fall in between). Crickets aren't necessarily a better bug to feed, just more easily available. If you want to make sure your dragon is getting enough variety, I'd suggest trying to use silkworms or butterworms as well as the supers, your dragon will be more likely to try them out than the crickets again.

UpstateNYPets

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have used the Phoeinx worms before and he liked them too, but not so much that he wouldn't eat crickets. I guess I will continue to offer crickets, but it seems I'll be getting a more variety of worms from now on. I have thought about getting some Dubia Roaches but as money is tight right now with the upcoming holidays, I can't get any now.

So it's okay for him to eat the superworms along with his veggies and fruits? Since he likes the SW's so much I don't mind that they are the only insect he wants right now. I would love to get the crickets out of the house anyway. Later on I will be getting some more Phoenix worms, maybe some silk or wax worms. I haven't tried them before.

Oh and another thing... Do I dust the worms like I did the crickets? Most of the worms he gets are just plain, but I usually dip a couple in his calcium/multivitamin powder. Should I be dusting all the worms or just once in one feeding? I usually offer 2 in the morning, 2 dusted in the afternoon, and 2-4 at night. Is dusting just the afternoon worms okay? or do they all need to be?

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Yes it's fine to use superworms as his staple bug along with his veggies and greens.

Since he's an adult he should have his food dusted only 2x a week with calcium and then 1x a week with a vitamin powder. Since you feed him daily I would suggest dusting all the worms 2 days a week with the calcium, and then all the worms 1 day a week with the vitamins. Why do you split the worms up into 3 feedings? Just curious. You could put the salad into his tank in the morning and then give him his 4 or 5 worms for the day all at once later on in the day. It really doesn't matter except that it can encourage your dragon to eat more of his salad and greens if he doesn't have a constant supply of live bugs coming throughout the day.

UpstateNYPets

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I guess I just give him the worms in 3 different feedings because that's what I thought was normal. Not to mention I just like giving him some worms when I hang out with him, he's so fun to watch, I like putting the worm a few feet away and watch him run over like a ravenous hunter :lol: He eats fruits and veggies everyday for the most part, but sometimes he does go for a while turning his nose up to them. I will try feeding him once later on in the day so maybe I can get him into more veggies. If I do it that way the worms will last longer too, so it might work out better in a couple ways. I will also change up his dusting routine a bit too.

Thanks for all the advice! Boy I have one spoiled beardie :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom