I think I´m neglecting my beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflero

Hello, well this is my first post, and this time I´m asking for help. I have a male beardie, called Tuki, he´s about 10 months old (9 of them with me), and I think I´ve been neglecting him since the last month. At the start, when I got him, he was around 1 month old, and I took care of him pretty well, he was doing great, but in the last month or 2 months, I stopped taking care of him, I donpt give the the enough importance. Firstly, I clean his cage 1 time every 2 weeks, so it normally stunks. With the UVB light, I keep it right, so there´s no problem about that. About the food (for me the biggest problem) I don´t feed him, normally the service lady feeds him almost every day with a Dubia roach, but nothing more, rarely I give him vegetables, and I almost never feed my roaches (They are all dead, there are just like 5 adults alive, and a lot of babies. He started eating the substract I used with him (kitchen paper) so I had to retire it. Now I don´t know what to do with him, I love him, but I don´t pay attention to him, I pass the whole day playing videogames, or just here in the PC, and he passes the whole day trying to escape from his cage, or just resting. I don´t live in USA. Now I don´t know if give him away to a friend (I´m 100% sure he will do the best with him) or give him a chance, buying more roaches (but the thing is that I don´t know if my parents are going to buy them, I don´t put money on it, as well as I don´t have cash). But me and my parents don´t want to give him away, because he costed us about 150 bucks (As I said, I don´t live in USA, and the costs here are high). Lately I´ve been pretty stressed about that, tomorrow I´ll see what my parents say, and I´m sure we will argue. Also, I noticed he has something weird on his back, it looks pretty curved upwards. Help me please, I don´t know what to do. I feel so bad with myself :C

Buddysfam

When you start a post with "I think I'm neglecting my beardie", you are. Give him to your friend, for free, and don't get another pet until you can take care of it.

Malon3r

Hatchling Member
The fact that you typed out this entire post and are wondering in your mind if you are neglecting your beardie is mind boggling.
You don't look at, care for or feed the dragon.. That should answer the question just by rereading what you wrote.

Give it away for free to someone who will actually care for it. And don't get another pet till you stop being so damn lazy.

kelii

Hatchling Member
If I were I would find a friend or family member who has more time for it and give it to them.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Maybe you could also give him to a rescue. Also it sounds like do to your neglect he has the start of metabolic bone disease.

INReptiles

Hatchling Member
Seriously? You don't take care of him because you are playing video games? That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard, it takes all of maybe 10 minutes to drop some roaches in there and clean out the poop. If you don't want to give him away then take care of him instead of sitting aroun all day on your computer. That is the worst excuse I have ever heard for not being able to take care of an animal, you should just give him to somebody who will get up for 10 minutes to care for the animal they are responsible fir

paulsmom06

Please give him to your friend who can give him a good chance at life. Stop being concerned with the money you spent- you can't get it back so why worry about it. Stop letting the poor dragon suffer over $150 you spent 9 months ago. :roll:

Wafflero

Original Poster
I understand your hate with me, but please, understand I´m minor age, and Tuki is my first -total care- pet. I ****ing know I don´t take care of him because my ****ing stupid videogames, but is not because I don´t want to, it´s because I forget about him, I just come from school and I start playing on the PC, but when I remember about him, I try to do my best. The problem is not the time, I mean, I wouldnt be writing this **** right know if I had MY MONEY, as you, and I could decide how to spend it. My parents bought me a lot of money in roaches (around 90 bucks, the first time where 30, then 30 again, and then 30 again.), but as I said, I starded well with them, but I suddently stopped feeding them, and right now I need to buy more food. I didn´t said I wasn´t able to take care of him, I turn on and off his lamp at time, but the thing is the food, the first time I bought roaches they died because they got and infection. Then I started to have less interesting in this ****, I mean, spend money in a lot of roaches, and they all die? **** IT. Even though, I asked my parents for more food, and I tried again. THE SAME ****. The last time I bought around 150 roaches, and they were doing great, until I stopped feeding them, I forgot about them. I´m worried with my pet, I though it would be easier. I would feed him as I was doing, but I didn´t because It´s more difficult to me to take a roach in my hand (Yeah, I don´t like to, that´s why I don´t feed him [BUT OTHER PERSON DOES]) I don´t think is that bad, following what I researched, at his age he may be eating 3 roaches per week, so about that I think it´s OK. I´M SORRY GUYS, I´ll see what to do with him, if it were my desicion, I will give him away to my friend. I wasn´t well adviced about him, the last thing I wanted for him was MBD. I don´t know if he has it, here are some pics I took a pair of months ago (Sorry, I don´t find the updated pictures).
M1LVuy7.jpg
6nLxFH9.jpg

The worst thing is that I think I was doing right with him, he grew up pretty well, but as I said, in the past 2 months, I didn´t.

Wafflero

Original Poster
Here are the updated pics of him. He was sleepy, so that´s why his eyes look like that. You can see in the second picture his back. Judge yourselves.
4FIOL9u.jpg

vEPdmXd.jpg

mdyBlTH.jpg

kelii

Hatchling Member
To me it definitely looks like he has MBD. Does he even have a UV light? He also looks very skinny. My dragon was eating 20 roaching a day when he was that age. You really need to find him a more suitable home.

Wafflero

Original Poster
kelii":2w7595mf said:
To me it definitely looks like he has MBD. Does he even have a UV light? He also looks very skinny. My dragon was eating 20 roaching a day when he was that age. You really need to find him a more suitable home.
Yeah, he has his UV light at time, every day, around 12-14 hours.

INReptiles

Hatchling Member
If you don't have the money for roaches just buy some crickets for him, they are a lot cheaper. Where are you buying them from where they cost so much too? You might be able to just buy online in bulk and save a lot of money.

Get him some veggies too, collard or mustard greens are really cheap, at least in the U.S, so those shouldn't be a problem to get from the local supermarket, some may not eat them, but given his circumstances I don't think he will be to picky honestly. There is some other stuff you can get for him too, here is a list of nutritional values and what-not, just pick up some good fruits/veggies for him.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
He will still need insect protein so please get him crickets or roaches, it might be a good idea to give him some wax worms to put some fat on him to, but not a lot because they are high in fat.

That bump is most likely MBD, what do you have in the way of lights? What are your basking/cool side temps as well, and what do you have for substrate? When he is fed, is there ever calcium/multi-vitamin dust on his food?

Wafflero

Original Poster
INReptiles":hl7j7kqy said:
If you don't have the money for roaches just buy some crickets for him, they are a lot cheaper. Where are you buying them from where they cost so much too? You might be able to just buy online in bulk and save a lot of money.

Get him some veggies too, collard or mustard greens are really cheap, at least in the U.S, so those shouldn't be a problem to get from the local supermarket, some may not eat them, but given his circumstances I don't think he will be to picky honestly. There is some other stuff you can get for him too, here is a list of nutritional values and what-not, just pick up some good fruits/veggies for him.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
He will still need insect protein so please get him crickets or roaches, it might be a good idea to give him some wax worms to put some fat on him to, but not a lot because they are high in fat.

That bump is most likely MBD, what do you have in the way of lights? What are your basking/cool side temps as well, and what do you have for substrate? When he is fed, is there ever calcium/multi-vitamin dust on his food?
Thank you for your advice. The problem is that here, were I live, is quite difficult to find food, and normally, it´s expensive (1 dollar:2 roaches). The cheapest purchase I did, was 30 dollars: 150 roaches, but I can´t contact the person that sold me those. I will buy him more vegetables, and see what happen. About the lights, yeah, I turn them ON like 6 AM, and of around 6-7 PM. The temperature in his basking side is normally 31-32, and in the cool side must be 30 (He´s always in the basking side). I used kitchen paper as substrated, but he started eating it, so now I don´t use substrate with him. Everytime he was fed, he took a multivitamin-calcium (from T-REX).

Wafflero

Original Poster
INReptiles":4kt8kio5 said:
What brand UVB light do you use? Also, 32C is a bit too low, 35-40 would be better for him. What are you using to measure the temps? How close is the UVB light to his basking area as well?
I use ReptiGlo. I use a normal thermometer. Te UVB light is like at 6 inches from the basking area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom