I think Alfie's a girl!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexa

Iv'e just been researching how to tell the gender of a beardie and 'Alfie' pretty much fits the picture of the female EXACTLY.Buuuut...he/she has never EVER done that arm waving thing and he/she is very outgoing AND the four people we've asked at pet shops all said he/she was a dude. WTH?

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Can you post a picture of Alfie's underside (lift tail gently) for us? How old is he/she? Arm waving isn't necessarily a sign of being female, it's just a sign of submission that you'll mostly see with younger beardies no matter what gender. I have two adult females that show more signs of dominance than anything (black bearding/puffing, head bobbing). If your beardie is younger than 6 months old, it can be hard to tell definitively - males especially can develop the telltale signs a bit later. The easiest way to tell a male apart from a female in my opinion is the usually more pronounced femoral pores in males. But like I said, if you post a pic we can probably tell you :D

clearlyjoyful

Hatchling Member
My Itchy has never really been sexed by anyone experienced, and I'm not very good at it. But I'm fairly certain he's a girl. We just still call him a "him" because he's been called that his entire life, and no sense changing it now. Plus, his name is Ichabod Crane. Mrs. Ichabod Crane doesn't have the same ring to it.

He doesn't do anything characteristic of either sex, so I'm pretty sure your best bet is like the person above me said, to post a picture of its vent so more experienced users can give you a hand. But honestly, Itch used to head bob and arm-wave when he was at the pet store (and I visited him MULTIPLE times before I was ready to get him), but now he does nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemommma
Top Bottom