I struck gold….errrrr….greens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
So, I went to the store I normally go to, and in the veggie section, looking (again) for any turnip greens, or mustard greens (I usually only find collard greens, and dandelion greens)
In the pre chopped salad bags section, I found a bag of freshly cut up greens of exactly what I need….The bag is called, "Your Favorite Southern Greens. A mix of turnip, mustard, and collard greens"
I was so elated. Not only are they the greens I need, but they are already chopped!!!!
This morning I opened the bag and with a handful of the greens, took out any stems, rinsed them in the bowl, added some fresh dandelion greens, then sprinkled it with spaghetti squash, butternut squash and a little bit of shaved carrot. and >BAM< So easy. (Then I put a chip clip on the bag and placed the bag back into the veggie tray in the fridge.
Yep, I struck gold.
If you can't find what you need for veggies, I suggest looking in the prepackaged salads for something similar to "Your Favorite Southern Greens"

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What store if you don't kind me asking? I usually don't look in the prechopped section, but I'll have to now!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hy-Vee in Iowa has started doing that as well. Wegmans has this too for those in their area.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I live in Northern California, and we have a fairly big chain (but family owned) store in CA, called Raley's also known as BelAir. Im assuming you can also find it in Safeway, in the western US.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Karen, that's great, will be much easier for you for sure. What a great find! :p

timisimaginary

Hatchling Member
i've used those in the past too, my only complaint with them is the pre-chopped greens tend to spoil more quickly than i can use them. unchopped they seem to last longer.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
timisimaginary":309o6r01 said:
i've used those in the past too, my only complaint with them is the pre-chopped greens tend to spoil more quickly than i can use them. unchopped they seem to last longer.

I agree with this in most cases. What I do is pick up greens that the humans like too. Give the little guy the fresh stuff and make a salad for yourself before the rest goes bad =).

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
timisimaginary":p1ijrb2i said:

So far, he LOVES them. I came home today to a completely empty bowl! First time ever for him. And he shed today as well… Strangely, I always thought during a shed they eat less.

I too, have had bad experiences with precut lettuces…they tend to build up gasses and go bad more quickly. But I have not ever gotten the darker greens for myself to eat.
I've found for human consumption, if you put them in a zip lock out of the bag they come in, wrapped in paper towels, the precuts will last longer, so that's what I'm doing with these greens for Rin.
I'll have to keep you posted.

timisimaginary

Hatchling Member
CooperDragon":1n85y8ra said:
timisimaginary":1n85y8ra said:

I agree with this in most cases. What I do is pick up greens that the humans like too. Give the little guy the fresh stuff and make a salad for yourself before the rest goes bad =).

i'm not much of a salad eater. my dragon eats much healthier than i do.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
timisimaginary":cf1ttewj said:
CooperDragon":cf1ttewj said:
timisimaginary":cf1ttewj said:

i'm not much of a salad eater. my dragon eats much healthier than i do.

Glad I'm not the only one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kay.marie
Top Bottom