I need to choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambichik39

Juvie Member
I have two leopard geckos and they are actually pretty good pets. If you get one from a breeder that handles them (sometimes get a 2 year old retired breeder or when they are downsizing) then they can actually be pretty interactive. African Fat Tail geckos are a little more on the friendly side IMO than leo's. Its really personal preference, but they are both nocturnal and therefore don't require UVB. I probably spent a good hundred on my leo's set up (20L decor, etc) but i didn't get it all at once. I got it in stages and since I started with babies, you just use papertowls as bedding, etc so its not very expensive upfront and you have time to go out and get more stuff as you go. Good luck on whatever you choose!

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Garter snakes smell worse than crickets. A fully grown corn snake is still small enough to fit under a door. Ball python all the way.

AndyT

Juvie Member
A leopard gecko needs a 10-20 gallon tank (don't need a screen top because they're terrestrial and small), paper towels or repticarpet(substrate) A basking bulb or under tank heater, at least 3 hides (you can just make some yourself, to keep it simple and cheap), and some crickets.

Ball Python- I'm not sure, but larger enclosure, mice/rats.

I don't know much about pythons. But the leopard gecko part is right.

Andy

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Ball python basically needs a substrate, 40-55 gallon breeder or equivalent (probably do need a screen top that is secure, or put a heavy-ish thing on top of it), UTH and/or CHE, mice/rats and a place to hide. They don't need lights, ambient light is enough as generally they are nocturnal, but you can still get them out and handle them easily without bothering them.

My buddy found his on craigslist, complete setup with a 55gallon breeder for like, $80.

I have my baby ball in a 30 gal (which is sufficient for an adult even, though you can go bigger if you want!)... We use reptibark, and she has 2 identical hollow bamboo hides but she adored empty paper towel rolls, and paper towels or newspaper work as substrate. You can also modify little tupperware containers for hides. She only requires a mouse once a week, and I have an accu-rite in there to measure temp and humidity. All in all she's a pretty easy girl. :)

ColoradoRiverRafter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I am leaning more toward to the leopard gecko side because I don't know how my mom will react to a snake. :?
How much are the costs for each?
Decisions are so hard to make. :cry:
Thanks for the help guys.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Honestly, they're both pretty cheap once you get them going. A ball python eats once a week, 1 mouse so like... $2 if that? And even then ball pythons will on occasion go without eating for a month or longer. I don't think you're supposed to worry about them not eating until it's been like 2+ months. Leopard geckos eat crickets though... and I'm basically against anything cricket-ever. I hate those little demons. I'd say do your research and present the idea to your mom in a well educated and business like proposal. Assuming the only reason you'd prefer the gecko is that your mom's response is unknown that is. If you want the gecko simply because you want it... then by all means.

I'm biased though... cuz I really want a ball python, but have no space for one atm.

AndyT

Juvie Member
I think that a leopard gecko itself can be from 15 to 40 dollars at Petco, petsmart. Though most people wouldn't recommend buying from them. And from breeders, you can get nice ones from 30-500 dollars. He would only need a 10-20 gallon fish tank (idk 20-50$?). some hides 10-30$, or make your own out of containers(the gecko doesn't care what his hides look like, he just needs to be able to feel secure) , a humid hide, free, assuming you have a cream cheese container that you can cut an entrance in and fill with wet paper towels. A heat mat (10-20?), or a heat bulb and dome (20?). Thermometer 10$. Repticarpet (10$), or paper towels, or anything that can't cause impaction. Water bowl. Calcium powder. Thats it. So less than 100 dollars. I'm biased as well, cus I have a leo.

Andy

ColoradoRiverRafter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Actually the petsmart where I live close to does a pretty good job with their reptiles. No sand or bad stuff, but they have some errors. I'm going to write a proposal to my Mom like you said, but can one of you read it over when I am done and judge it? Thanks!

ColoradoRiverRafter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I will start writing the convincing paper tonight, but now I kinda want a beardie. How much does their setup cost and how much to take care of them?

AndyT

Juvie Member
They cost more than leos and boas, I can tell you that. Their setup is a bit more expensive, because they need more lights, and bigger enclosures. I would say that the initial setup for a baby is over 100, then you will need to upgrade, which will cost over 100 more. They eat A LOT. Which can add up, depending on what you feed it and how you acquire such food. Browse around the site for care and info on them and see if you're up to it.

Andy

ColoradoRiverRafter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, here is the draft that I wrote:

-Mom
As you have known, I would really like to have a pet reptile. They are great pets to have since they are clean (especially leopard geckos), cool, interactive, and can be a whole lot of fun to have.
Here are three pros and cons list that I will make you to show the pros and cons of the reptiles I want.
Bearded Dragon:
Pros: Interactive, diurnal, good starter reptile, friendly and a lot more
Cons: Somewhat expensive, omnivore

Leopard Gecko:
Pros: Good starter reptile, very clean (have a bathroom in one corner of cage), less expensive, does not require UVA/UVB, carnivore
Cons: Nocturnal, not very interactive (but if held enough, will become very friendly)

Ball Python
Pros: Good starter reptile, friendly, not expensive, not expensive food, does not require UVA/UVB, lives long
Cons: It is a snake and you don’t care much for them, can get 4-5ft, eats mice (I don’t have a problem with that, but you might since we have to freeze ‘em.)

I know about the cat and the problems that he poses, but really, clips are a great solution for that along with being good for no escapes. Plus, Atreyu doesn’t spend time in my room at all. Since two of the three are nocturnal they will hide during the day and come out at night, so they won’t really need company during the day. If I get the beardie then I can spend most of the time in my room with it.
If things go south on the idea and we have to give it away, then we might be able to give it to Nick F. or give it away at a reptile show.

I promise you that I will take care of my pet reptile, and we can draw up a contract stating that if I don’t take care of it, there will be serious consequences.

So this wraps up my letter. I really would like to get the equipment for my b-day that’s coming up soon. Please consider this because I will do anything it takes to get a reptile.
Love,
Sam

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
I'm just gonna do a little bit of word smithing here. Feel free to accept or reject any changes I make.
ColoradoRiverRafter":1s67uysn said:
Okay, here is the draft that I wrote:

-Mom
As you know, I would really like to have a pet reptile. They are great pets to have since they are clean (especially leopard geckos), cool, interactive, and can be a whole lot of fun to have.
Here are some pros and cons of the reptiles that I would like you to consider.

Bearded Dragon:
Pros: Interactive, diurnal, good starter reptile, friendly and a lot more
Cons: Somewhat expensive, omnivore

Leopard Gecko:
Pros: Good starter reptile, very clean (have a bathroom in one corner of cage), less expensive, does not require UVA/UVB, carnivore
Cons: Nocturnal, not very interactive (but if held enough, will become very friendly)

Ball Python
Pros: Good starter reptile, friendly, less expensive, inexpensive food, does not require UVA/UVB, lives long
Cons: It is a snake and you don’t care much for them, can get 4-5ft, eats mice (I don’t have a problem with that, but you might since we have to freeze ‘em.) They actually don't have to be frozen, they can be live. This just means you have to go to the pet shop once a week to buy one

I know about the cat and the problems that he poses, but really, clips are a great solution for that along with being good for no escapes. Plus, Atreyu doesn’t spend time in my room at all. Since two of the three are nocturnal they will hide during the day and come out at night, so they won’t really need company during the day. If I get the beardie then I can spend most of the time in my room with it.
If things go south on the idea and we have to give it away, then we might be able to give it to Nick F. or give it away at a reptile show.

I promise you that I will take care of my pet reptile should you allow me to get one. We can draw up a contract stating that if I don’t take care of it, there will be serious consequences.

So this wraps up my letter. I really would like to get the equipment for my b-day that’s coming up soon. Please consider this because I will do anything it takes to get a reptile.
Love,
Sam

One suggestion aside from what you have, is maybe do some pricing, to have a few estimates of the cost of each.

The bold is a comment, the italics are changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EternalAzhrei
Top Bottom