i need some help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMonsterGirlx

i bought a baby bearded dragon from the pet store not even a week ago, that day he ate two whole meal worms and now he wont barely eat anything im scared that i maybe have done something to him. He looks healthy and pretty lively, however every time i put food out he ignores it or when i try to hand feed him he closes his eyes like he doesn't want it. im scared he will never eat again. please someone help me figure out whats wrong. :(

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from Website Comments to Health]

Congratulations on your baby beardie!

It isn't uncommon for beardies to have relocation stress, even if it's 2 days later, and babies are especially prone to relocation stress where they won't eat/drink/poop for days.
For starters, do not feed your baby the mealworms, regardless of size. Those worms are very difficult to digest in a baby beardie's delicate system, and because of that, may cause impaction. They also don't offer much nutritional value. Crickets are a better choice, properly sized of course.
Be sure that your baby is also properly hydrated and receive plenty of UV and heat for proper growth.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
I second what Goonie said! :) As long as he has a beardie-safe UVB and his temps are good and you're keeping him hydrated with baths and oral fluids, it's probably just relocation stress. It can take awhile for a beardie to settle into a new environment, sometimes as long as 2-4 weeks :)

BeardedDragonCo

Hatchling Member
Those meal worms are difficult to digest and may take a couple of days, be sure his basking temps are on the hotter side of 100ºF to 110ºF so that his body can break them down. He won't be hungry again until they go through him and he poops. Another reason we don't feed meal worms is that they make babies picky and don't want to eat anything else, so stick with small crickets and he'll come around once he settles in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom