I Need Some Friendly Backup This Lady is Wearing Me Out LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Her argument that they live in loose sand is incorrect. They live more on compacted sand, that has very little loose particles. It's more like hard, cracked earth than Sahara-like swirls. But I would let her be. If she's not had any problems, then maybe it's worked out well for her, and she's been lucky. I for one have seen an animal die of impaction from sand, and will never use it.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
dylanravenj":jmivy9xp said:
I really don't understand why people bother with sand knowing the risks it comes with. :dontknow:
And that's my point.. Why risk it??
SamusTheDragon":jmivy9xp said:
I back you up =P , sorry if that was kinda unecessary.
lol

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Wow sorry, I'm tired and I'm trying to multi-task (normally ends badly). What I just posted made no sense :lol: what I meant was I backed you up on youtube. That lady has no idea what she's talking about.

Jess

Extreme Poster
If I had a Youtube account, I would pitch in! Link her to the thread I made about sand, and tell her that the person who wrote the thread (Me!) observes at a vet clinic, where they had a huge 5 year old beardie who was impacted from sand to the point where he needed surgery to survive.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
My advice, give it up. It is very rare for people to change their minds in an argument. There is an emotional aspect to arguing. And one has to be stubborn and believe something strongly enough to fight over it. That closes off listening to reason. It often becomes more about who's right and who's wrong more than anything else. If they're not willing to listen, you can not change their mind. You technically can't change anyone's mind, or anything else about them. They have to choose to listen and change themselves.

And I certainly wouldn't bother on a site like youtube which possibly has the highest number of active trolls on all the web.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Jess4921":3qwxxysq said:
If I had a Youtube account, I would pitch in! Link her to the thread I made about sand, and tell her that the person who wrote the thread (Me!) observes at a vet clinic, where they had a huge 5 year old beardie who was impacted from sand to the point where he needed surgery to survive.
Jess I tried it 50 times! But for some reason it wouldn't let me put the link in the post :(.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
ziggy23":qxrjnw3x said:
My advice, give it up. It is very rare for people to change their minds in an argument. There is an emotional aspect to arguing. And one has to be stubborn and believe something strongly enough to fight over it. That closes off listening to reason. It often becomes more about who's right and who's wrong more than anything else. If they're not willing to listen, you can not change their mind. You technically can't change anyone's mind, or anything else about them. They have to choose to listen and change themselves.

And I certainly wouldn't bother on a site like youtube which possibly has the highest number of active trolls on all the web.

I do agree with everything you've said.. However the reason we see so many listings on craigslist with neglected beardies, malnourished, impacted the list goes on is b/c the owners were either misinformed or not informed at all. I like to present people with the facts and then the decision is theirs.. Some people willingly will accept the advice given and change their ways..Some people wont.. A lot of people are afraid to give the facts b/c they are afraid of confrontation. I HATE confrontation and I will b the last to argue with someone. Sadly this lady has no clue.. I'm not sure if you saw her last comment but this is what she said and I quote "but its their natural surrounding... thats like "I can´t put my fishes into water, because it´s dangerous for them!". it´s just cruel."
She's comparing fish in water to beardies on sand.. There's not even a comparison there and we all obviously know why. I've tried to give her links to this forum but for some reason it won't let me. On a side note.. My youtube videos are in no way controversal.. They don't even have anything to do with the whole substrate thing. Thanks again for your input :)

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
I just feel sorry for the animals that have to suffer b/c their owner made a decision without having the health of their animal in mind. And that is not misinformed or not informed, that is just mean. :angry5:

Nobody informed me either, but I took my time and done a bit of research. But people like that don't bother with research, they would rather listen pet shop "experts" and what not!

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Atrax":v8gro0jn said:
Nobody informed me either, but I took my time and done a bit of research. But people like that don't bother with research, they would rather listen pet shop "experts" and what not!

EXACTLY! That's why I encouraged her to do her own research on the topic

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I didn't say to ignore it all together. You can state your case, but continuing to argue with them is not going to work.

the reason why you see so many neglected animals on craigslist and other places is because they care enough and aren't responsible enough to do any research. People generally don't respond well to random strangers approaching them and telling them they're wrong. Would you?

Jess

Extreme Poster
Well, Slave2Scarlette, I think your arguement is much more convincing than hers... If anyone else reads the comments, they'll hopefully listen to you. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom