i need help for my bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraham

my bearded dragon is 5 years old. but the last 2 weeks he is going from bad to worse. and i dont know if he survives and hes my only pet. he was moving last week and his back legs he didnt used them just lifting them up. this week sunny day whole week i took him to sun but he is not recovering now he's not moving anymore he stopped drinking and eating. he only moving his tail tip and his back end is not movable or very few but every day is coming worse. where i live not much good vets i am from malta. so can somebody please help me? at the moment he's in the sun but he dont want to drink even if i force drinking him. he got a small hump too near back legs. but please how can i try to get him better? he only look at me and i cant do nothing it hurts me

Abraham

Original Poster
i discovered another new thing today. around his body exactly where is back legs attached too is becoming yellowish with 2 tiny very tiny bloodspites

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I am wondering how old your UVB is ? Do you offer calcium appropriate to the UVB ?
When was the last time you took him in for a vet visit ?
Each dragon is different, though most don't start declining until they are older than 5 years. I would look into getting him into the vet for a checkup and answer the UVB questions.
Janie.

Abraham

Original Poster
i never gave him calcium for 5 years and when i read that is important i went to buy it straight away but its too late he isnt eating or drinking nothing. tthese last 2 days was very sunny day from morning till afternoon so obviously he absorb some uv from sun temprature was high but no improvement i think its too late. i have some pictures too of my beardie i took them today

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Abraham, it is Time to get your dragon into a vet, there is a chance he can pull out of this BUT WITH A VET's help !
Start calling all the exotic/herp vets close to you and get your buddy in !
Keep us posted, prayers and hugs !
Janie.

Abraham

Original Poster
the only exotic vet in malta and im not sure if hes expert or not but i know this vet have a snapper turtle etc in his house so i think he know something about these things,but saturday and sunday hes closed so i have to wait till monday. tomorrow i try do my best to keep him alive giving him warm baths and hopefully it will be sunny day again so at least he can absorb some real uv from sunlight. at the moment he's sleeping in the vivarium today i gave him 5 warm baths and made whole day in sunlight so i think he's tired

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We need to review your entire tank setup.
Have you ever used a UVB light at all?
What types of food do you feed him? If he is not eating, you are going to have to help him eat. Get some chicken or turkey babyfood & squash babyfood. Mix it together with powdered calcium (a small pinch) & use a plastic dropper to see if he will lick food off of the end of that or his nose. Try to get some oral fluids into him as well.
When was the last time that he went to the bathroom?
The hump at the base of his tail is a bone deformity caused by metabolic bone disease which happens when they do not receive the proper UVB lighting. When they do not have any UVB exposure, they cannot uptake & absorb calcium, vitamins & minerals.
The vet can give a calcium booster shot which could help him out. He will need a liquid calcium supplement as well as a UVB light.
What type of UVB light can you get in Malta? Can you shop online to get something shipped to you?
You can also ask the vet if he has a powdered food supplement such as Critical care or Carnivore care.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Abraham

Original Poster
hi tracie i am gonna order reptisun because they said its the best it still take like 10 days to be shipped here today is another good day again.i took him up and he's trying to move with a dislocated back leg 1 side is worse then the other. hes not lickin so i trying to force feed him sometimes he keep food in his mouth and not eat it but after 10 minutes playing sometimes he eat small piece after i start shaking his food while half of it is in his mouth. then he start biting it and eating it but very few. i gave him 4 baths yesterday. i dunno i am trying my best. sometims when you buy a pet they tell you put him a light bulb and the most important things they dont tell you to give him calcium every day and you have to keep him at that temprature. so a part of it is my fault i eel bad about it but some pet shops only want to sell and when you ask them about it they think they know alot and they dont know anything

Abraham

Original Poster
hello guys i just came from the vet and he told me its possible he have kidney desease, his tail was inflated and his body is full of water.

Abraham

Original Poster
oh and another thing i changed the uvb today the one i can find its ferplast compact lamp uv-b 10% tempratue in malta at the moment is pretty good for bearded dragon so i dont need any heaters or somethink during day around 25 celcius during night around 17. the bulb is about 1 foot above from the lizard or a bit more. At the moment is sleeping the lizard but uvb is on as he took 2 injection about 4 hours ago. its 1 am now here. i am wating for moening to give him paste of vitamins and probiotic in bath water. so if i can do him something else please let me know. next appointment for injections is on saturday.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you think I could see a copy of the blood tests just to look them over? I would appreciate it. Thanks. I hate to tell you but the Reptisun 10 compact/coil light is a very hazardous light. It emits low wavelength UVB which is close to UVC & has caused many injuries to bearded dragons & other reptiles. You really need to get the flourescent tube bulb. It is much safer.
Here is a report on them:

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

Are you using a basking light for him? He needs a basking temp of 35 to 43 by using a bright white basking light. The cooler end should be around 25 to 27 or so.
Are you saying that you only keep him at around 25 all day long? If so, he is not going to get better at that temperature. He will not be able to digest his food, or absorb any of his calcium or vitamins either.
At night, he needs it dark to sleep. So, turn all of the lights off at night. Right now though, if you have a ceramic heat emitter or a heating pad you might want to consider using that to keep him a little warmer at night since he is not doing very well.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Abraham

Original Poster
i dont have any bloodtests i wish i have so i can show them to you. I am so sad that the bulb is not good i bought yesterday for around 40$ so now i need to find another 1. he is barely eating or drink. Vet gave me like a plastic injection without needle its full of like a paste with vitamins. I am force feeding him some cabage too with some calcium powder. Now i am gonna give him a bath for 20 mins with probiotic and hopefully he will feel better. Its nice day too so i am gona take him 3 hours in the sun to absorb some real uvb since the bulb is not good. Basking light he loves the 75 watts bulb he always loved it cause when i put it on i used to see him go near it in the water and bathing. I Dunno how can i do betetr then this i am trying my best

Abraham

Original Poster
today he's almost the same i am still not 100% convinced that have kidney desease. he tried to move his back is bent like a banana . i know his tail looks inflated and his belly too but i saw him trying to move his 1 of the back leg is almost dead and other back leg is slightly very slightly active he try make an effort to push but he never walk forward since he got this problem a bit sideways and after 1/4 of a circle he stops. not much experienced vets here i trying to do my best to save him. in about 2 hours i am going to buy another 2 tempratures too make sure that im getting right reading. But bearded dragon is still same :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom