i need a quick fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbijo2u

Hatchling Member
We have a custom made Viv. It is all glass. The front access doors meet each other in the center. They do not over lap one another. We are concerned about little ones sliding the doors open and we won't notice. Does anyone have a idea for a quick and easy lock? Is there such a thing as a stick on lock? I am thinking Velcro would work for now but that would be figured out quick. When we bought this viv we didn't quite think about all the what ifs...the doors will pose the biggest issue.

kFitz

Hatchling Member
I'm confused. Are they sliding glass doors that don't overlap or do they open up like cabinet doors? If they slide, you could always use metal rods in the tracks to prevent them from opening and have a magnet or something to get them out (acting like a key) since the normal sliding locks require some overlap. If they open like cabinet doors, you could try getting something like a gate lock for the top of the doors?

Bobbijo2u

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They are sliding glass doors that do not over lap...and fitting something in the track would not be an option because it's only as wide as the glass panes itself... getting something in there would have to be pretty darn thin.

kFitz

Hatchling Member
they make metal rods thin enough. another option would be to replace one of the glass panes with a longer one. then you could use a regular reptile cage lock.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
I don't understand either. If they are sliding doors, then they open from the ends, not the middle. So unless your beardie can get his hands in there from the outside edges, he wouldn't be able to push them open. Not that I think there's any significant risk of that anyway. Glass doors are pretty heavy and unless they slide VERY easily, there's just no way your beardie would have the strength to move them. Whether or not the glass overlaps in the middle seems to be irrelevant....

kFitz

Hatchling Member
ClydesGirl":2hzdt5b7 said:
I don't understand either. If they are sliding doors, then they open from the ends, not the middle. So unless your beardie can get his hands in there from the outside edges, he wouldn't be able to push them open. Not that I think there's any significant risk of that anyway. Glass doors are pretty heavy and unless they slide VERY easily, there's just no way your beardie would have the strength to move them. Whether or not the glass overlaps in the middle seems to be irrelevant....

I'm pretty sure he's referring to little fingers of the human variety. Don't want the kids taking the dragon out without supervision.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
kFitz":2ucw6est said:
I'm pretty sure he's referring to little fingers of the human variety. Don't want the kids taking the dragon out without supervision.

Ahhhh! Can you tell I don't have kids? :p

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Can you possibly post a picture? Might be able to come up with something more easily if we can see the frame, etc. :) Thanks!

Bobbijo2u

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yes I was talking about little fingers... being of the human variety. The doors slide from the middle and out.
Regardless I have fixed the issue with 3m command hooks and another hook that just slides over both.. which made me a fabricated lock :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom