I NEED A LOT OF HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaung

(new to the site)I am looking to get a bd for my 5 year old son and dont know where to start.What size tank,what type of light ,carpet,sand or tile?I hear a lot of diffrent things and getting mixed messages.Please help from the groung up thanks....

LJean

Extreme Poster
Are you getting a baby dragon?

Basically an adult dragon needs a tank at least the size of a 40gallon breeder.
You will need a bright white light for heat/basking.
A good UVB light is a must. ReptiSUN 10 (long flourescent tube, NOT coil or compact) is recommended. If your enclosure is a 40 gallon breeder tank or larger you can use a mercury vapor bulb for both heat and UVB. (Megaray, or T-Rex)
Sand is not recommended for baby dragons. Paper towels, reptile carpet, tile etc is easier to clean.
Something to bask on like a rock, branch, brick etc.
A digital thermometer (not the aquarium or reptile stick on ones) is important for you to check temps.
Lots of bugs smaller than between the beardies eyes for food. Also some appropriate greens.

Hope this helps get you started.

wizbee

Juvie Member
Welcome! SInce you are getting this for your 5 year old son, you realize that you will be doing most of the care. Right?
Check out the caresheets at the top of the page before you buy anything. Petstores most likely will not give you the right info, they just want to sell their products. If you check things out here first it will save you considerable time and money.
Good luck and ask any questions you have before you get the beardie.

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Welcome, this is the right place to get info.

I posted a reply once but it seems to have gotten lost, if it comes back up please forgive me for posting twice!

Dragons are wonderful creatures that are easy to care for but require a good deal of investment to get them set up correctly.

At a minimum you will need:
1 Dragon
1 40 gallon breeder aquarium or 4'x2'x2' vivarium
1 uvb light source (only reptisun 10.0 or quality mvb is recommened)
1 spot light to heat basking spot (unless using mvb which produces both heat and uvb)
1 Probe thermometer to measure heat in your viv
50 to 100 feeders a day (if getting a baby dragon. They will eat this amount for several months)

My cost at start up:
1 dragon = $50
all the junk petco sold us that we didn't need = $120
1 4'x2'x2' home made vivarium = $250
1 mvb light = $50 (includes shipping)
1 probe therm = $10
50 to 100 live lobster roach feeder a day = $35/ month bought in bulk
Total at startup: $515
Monthly maintenance: $35

Hope that helps,

Eric

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
read, read, and read some more lol
there is a LOT and I mean a lot of good info here
not only that there are many helpful individuals that belong to this site
don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions I am sure that you will get the help you seek
raising a baby will take more time and money than an adult will
that should be taken in consideration
a baby will literaly eat up your cash in feeders unless you buy bulk or raise your own
some feeder insects are easily raised and others are cheaply attained online in bulk quantities
an adult or juvenile can be easily placed in larger housing as a baby may stress if the housing is too large
READ READ READ and don't be afraid to ASK ASK ASK

shaung

Original Poster
Thanks everyone,I was considering a 20 gallon tank.Is that too small.Do they get bored alone?Should I but 2 Do the lights stay on all day?I have a 100 watt light(dome shaped) in the garage can I use that?

LJean

Extreme Poster
Many people have trouble housing more than one dragon together. A 20 gallon tank will only last a few months before the dragon starts to outgrow it. The 100 watt light (is it the light and fixture?) may be too hot. You will need a good way to measure temperatures in the tank.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
shaung":61da6 said:
Thanks everyone,I was considering a 20 gallon tank.Is that too small.Do they get bored alone?Should I but 2 Do the lights stay on all day?I have a 100 watt light(dome shaped) in the garage can I use that?

A 20 gallon tank will be outgrown fast! It really is better to make the initial investment for the larger viv. They prefer to be alone; in fact they can injure one another if housed with other dragons. Most people have a lighting schedule of 14 hours day, 10 hours dark. The light fixture you have should work for a MVB or a heat-producing basking bulb, if the socket is porcelain or ceramic (no plastic, as they get too hot).

Hope that helps some, too!

lilStewie

For a cheap good starter tank, Petsmart has a 40gallon breeder that has the mesh top for $109. It is the cheapest I have found if you are in a rush for xmas. The megaray is definately the way to go...may be tough to get before christmas. I would look for a dragon from a reptile show or get advice on what to look for to ensure you get a healthy dragon. Most pet stores do not take proper care and it would be very sad to get a sick little guy, as well as expensive. I think to start you should just give the tank for christmas or whatever purpose, and then do the rest of the project with your child. It will teach him the proper care, handling and research involved in owning these outstanding creatures. Not to mention that kids really want to learn if given the opportunity. I think if you do it as a team project you will not only save a ton of money through research but it will be a great experience for you and your child to share together! Welcome to the dragon family. This site is great and the people are extremely knowledgeable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom