I need a good basking bulb for my 40 breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehzool

I just got a 40 breeder for my bearded dragon so now I need a more powerful bulb.
I have a fixture that can only go up to 100Watts. Right now I have a 100 Watt Bulb in but it's just a normal walmart bulb that I found in the basement.

I know certain reptile bulbs are capable of giving off more heat and having less wattage.
So what Wattage bulb do you guys use and what brand is it? (I want something that will produce the perfect temperature and also a reliable brand)

Thanks1

zandi202

BD.org Addict
What's the distance between the basking light and the basking spot? Mine is about 6" or 7" away from the bulb so 100w works well without over heating. It's a matter or trial, error, and keeping the receipt. :lol:

ehzool

Original Poster
Yeah, that's what I was doing until I found the perfect temperature for my 10 gallon tank. But now that I have a 40 breeder, I'm buying/returning all over again. People at PetSmart are thinking I'm crazy and asking if I even know what I'm doing.
He is about 8 inches away from the bulb. The temperature hovers around 89 - 95 depending on if the heat is on in my room.

Even when its at 89 right now, he opened his mouth for a little bit. So is this a good temperature?

krusty46

It's winter in NY (they tell me it's spring, but I'm not seein' it today). My room temps are about 70. I find I have to use 2 bulbs to get a basking spot temp of between 101-107. I use a 75watt basking bulb and a 65watt r20 bulb. With both pointed at the same spot. Gimli has never gaped. All of this in an Exo Terra 36x18x18 terrarium. I use a temp gun for measurements. Ground around his basking log is between 90-95, cool side is around 75.
100watt was not enough on it's own and when it burned out and I was desperate I tried the 75w/65w combo and it has worked out much better for me. I was using a 40watt incandescent bulb with my 100w basking bulb originally and it melted my plastic screen frame (go figure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom