I might try another DIY roach colony soon, product question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Firstly I am thingking of going to dry food such as cat or puppy chow this time. Less slime.

I want to know if anyone has managed to use zilla UTH heat pads with the rheostats such as http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752611 and if you can tone them down enough to be safe on a plastic tote.

I may also employ this if I get a pyxie frog, as it will be less annoying than a bulb that needs to sit on top of the cage and be in my way when I want to feed it.

Also curious to know if a reusable product called "water pillows" can be used by roaches.
http://www.petco.com/product/12128/Zilla-Cricket-Water-Pillows.aspx For instance. These could be hung by clothes pin so as to touch the bottom allowing roach to climb and suck on it while not gathering excessive fecal matter.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
People have tried the water pillows, and they're good for a while, however they'll eventually get pretty nasty and need replacing. Far more expensive than buying water crystals in bulk, $6 at a Sears type store will get you much much farther.

The problem with using the UTH with a plastic tote is that the UTH's are designed for animals, and as such they have far fewer safety mechanisms built in to prevent a short in the circuitry thus leading to unintentional excessive heating that can melt through the plastic and most likely kill your entire colony. A friend of mine had a reptile UTH for his ball python, it shorted and burned a hole into his carpet. Luckly his snake was unharmed. The human heating pads however are much less likely to short and overheat (and the one I have even costs less) than the UTH's because they're designed for people. That's a much larger lawsuit if they screw up, so they take safety more into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom