I just got my beardie and he’s always in the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakobus

100501-4352476141.jpg

I got him yesterday so my guess is that he’s just stressed. I usually put him back on the hammock so he can get some basking in but then he’ll go to one side of the cage and hide in the corner. He hasn’t been eating at all either which I hear is normal but just wanted to check to make sure there’s nothing wrong

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Be careful of those mesh hammocks, the little ones can get their nails caught in it. You could try covering the hammock with a piece of fleece blanket.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Are you feeding him live food ? Do you have a probe thermometer ? The dial ones are not good, they can be off by quite a few degrees. He may be too hot. There is a lot of great information on this site.

Jakobus

Original Poster
I will be feeding him live food (bsfl) but he hasn’t been eating. I’m going to get one of those laser thermometers to check the basking heat and stuff but don’t have one now.

He has been clawing at the side of the cage for a long time and does that quite a lot. Like I said he’s brand new to the enclosure. I just am wondering if that’s normal

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jakobus":l0c0g8vt said:
I will be feeding him live food (bsfl) but he hasn’t been eating. I’m going to get one of those laser thermometers to check the basking heat and stuff but don’t have one now.

He has been clawing at the side of the cage for a long time and does that quite a lot. Like I said he’s brand new to the enclosure. I just am wondering if that’s normal

Try lining the inside with some plain white printer paper (only needs to be about 4 inches high …. this may block his view and encourage him to feed rather than trying to go exploring.

Also while a noncontact thermometer is handy to have , even better is a few digital thermometers dangling into the tank at strategic spots or with the probes fixed to strategic surfaces (ie basking spot). These are very good - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Reptile-/222959498797?oid=391259141696 and I use a brace of them in each of rearing tubs and big 4x2 tanks , I can see my temperatures at any time simply at a glance.
Getting the temperatures right (in the right range and with the right gradient is very important), as is getting UVA and UVB gradients right.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post more pics of the tank, including the lighting ? Most babies are frightened + lost in a big tank, better to start out with a small plastic tote or 20 gal. aquarium. Here's a simple set up [ I raised babies for nearly 20 years ]

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30051/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29953/full

When they are really small like your guy you don't even need anything on the floor, just wipe the small droppings up with a wet piece of t.p with a dab of vinegar on it followed by another piece wet t.p.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jakobus":29w6dy8y said:
Where do you put them? Do you hang them from the top?

Yep I simply use some double sided tape to hold the little box on the outside of the tubs or sit on the top of the timber tanks, and dangle the probe where I need it , or use cloth tape to hold the probe to the basking spot.
The probes are on the end of 1m long wire so it's all pretty flexible wrt installation.

I start my young lizards off in 100L tubs that I convert to stackable rearing tubs see this : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480
you'll find the little guy will settle in very quickly in one and will find it easier to keep track of feeder insects.

Jakobus

Original Poster
My beardie is a little older than a month old. He’s in a 40 gallon breeder and the only thing in his cage is a lid that I use as a feed bowl and a petrified log under the basking spot. I would send pictures but I’m away from home right now

Jakobus

Original Poster
Jakobus said:
My beardie is a little older than a month old. He’s in a 40 gallon breeder and the only thing in his cage is a lid that I use as a feed bowl and a petrified log under the basking spot. I would send pictures but I’m away from home right now

How long do you keep them in a basic cage? Would I have to change the lights? I have a 120 Watt mercury bulb. And could I just block off half of the enclosure if 40 is too large?

Jakobus

Original Poster
A few days later my beardie is eating pretty regularly, pooping daily and is climbing on his grapevine and basking. I'm got rid of my reptile hammock and got a grapevine for him to climb on instead and he likes that better. I'm going to be getting temperature probes to monitor temperature and I'll be getting a timer for better day/night cycle. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom