I just bought my first beardie and have questions, please he

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I bought a beardie two days ago at a local pet store. I didn't measure him/her but I believe that it is like 5 or 6 inches long. I had already had an albino leopard gecko, which was my first reptile, but I have no experience with bearded dragons. I'm only using a 10 gallon tank at the moment until he outgrows it, but I can't seem to find a UVB light fixture small enough for it. It won't fit on top of it with the basking light at the same time. Also, he won't eat any fruits or vegetables. Is this a problem? One more question: Am I able to use sand for it while it's small, I mean, the calcium sand is digestible, right? I have no idea, thanks haha.

DistDrag

Juvie Member
I think your going to have a problem finding a UV light for that small of a tank. Even if you have one that hangs over the sites, it's going to be hard to have a basking lamp too. The mercury vapor bulbs that work as both a heat source and UV source are too strong for such a small enclosure. You may just have to get a bigger enclosure sooner rather than later.

As for eating vegetables, it's not uncommon for dragons the size of your to not eat them. Just keep offering them and they eventually start to eat them. Chop them up pretty good for a dragon this size and I'd recommend trying collard greens, green mustard, and butternut squash. All my dragons like these.

Congrats on the new beardie!

Kevin

Lucian823

Hello welcome! Yes you would need a much bigger enclosure. Adult beardies need at least a 40-50 gallon tank. I just bought a 55 gallon for my baby beardie. This way I will never need to worry about space. It will be hard to find a UVB bulb for such a small tank. You can find used tanks on ebay or craigslist. You can also build your own enclosure. I have heard that sand isn't the best substrate for baby dragons...try plain paper towels or reptile carpet for now. There is so much information on here for every subject you can think of. Have fun searching! Hope to see your baby dragon's pic soon. :D

mmmLizards

Original Poster
Ok thanks. But the only thing is that the pet store told me to start with a small tank because it may not be able to find its food but I do need a tank eventually. And I bought some collard greens and he/she ate them. So I'm somewhat relieved.

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
hey there! congrats with your new baby! I just got mine about 2.5 weeks ago. I also have a 10 gal. i have to use my uvb diagonally....its a slimline reptile fixture 7.0. comes with the uvb. So far its working well. Now that shes not stressed anymore about the move and eating good ill prob get her big tank this weekend. I do recommend the smaller tank at first so you can view them better, so i think what your doing is good for now. But once it starts eating normally and looks good and healthy upgrade to the bigger tank for sure.
ALSO just use paper towels....or tiles... impaction can because by any sand and its best just to do away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom