I have salmonilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
You can get salmonella from dragons nice i thought it was just raw meat. I dont feed or think anyone does to dragons raw meat. But i guess you learn new things everyday. I handle and clean up my dragons and never wash my hands well now i guess ill start. Nice

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
You can get salmonella from any reptile I believe, not just dragons.

If you don't play with their poop, kiss their butt, or kiss them when they've just pooped and stomped in it, then it's harder and less likely (if at all) to get salmonella from them.

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
No way i use toilet paper to clean there waste up and like you said before they stomp in it. I really didnt no all lizards had this and you learn something new everyday. You think it would be ecoli ok...

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
I guess you can get sick from ANY animal. Birds have something too, and hamster/gerbils can have Giardia, fish have something too, but I can't remember what it is. LOL

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
It's not something to stay up at night worrying about unless you're immuno-suppressed. And even then, just be careful and vigilant. Regardless of the animal, wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer after holding them. Can't hurt, right? :)

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah. LOL I'm around all of them every day. Just wash your hands and you'll be fine. Even with common pets like cats and dogs, you ca get stuff from them, too. Ringworm, for one. It's just a matter of washing up after messing with an animal. Not something to stress over. ;)

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Its just gets you thinking thats all and your right shouldnt stress. No wonder why people always said wash your hands. I have a iguana so i better start washing.

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
I just keep a bottle of hand sanitizer by the tanks - easier than going to wash every time. You can get huge bottles of the generic brands from Target or Walmart.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
You have a higher chance of getting salmonella from handling raw chicken that you do a dragon. Do reptiles in general carry it?? Yes they do. But very simple hand washing and general maintenance bring the risk way down.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
You can get salmonella from reptiles just like you can get E-coli from humans. Salmonella just happens to be present in the digestive tract of most birds and reptiles. E-coli is the same way with humans and other mammals. If the dragon is healthy and living in a clean enclosure, the chances of contracting salmonella from them are seriously low. Its only when there is direct contact with feces that you should be concerned (especially if the animal is sick or the immune system is weakened). It is however ALWAYS a good idea to wash your hands after interacting with ANY animal, not just reptiles. Dogs and cats carry all kinds of nasties...and I'd bet that your average dog is probably dirtier to the touch then the typical dragon on this forum. We do after all slave away with baths and spotless enclosures...probably to the extent that most people off this forum would think we're crazy.
I should point out that aquatic turtles REALLY hyped up the salmonella "myth". Reason being is turtles live in tanks full of dirty water (that rarely gets replaced). Even with a filtration system (that's usually only there to reduce odor), a turtle is swimming in water that is full of its feces, and subsequently loaded with various bacteria, including salmonella. In the wild the body of water would be substantially larger, and nature would break down anything that's present in the water...but in a tank, that's not the case. So little timmy comes along and picks up his turtle. He then forgets to wash his hands and contracts salmonella. Now all reptiles bare the blame for what really is the fault of humans.

m0mmy2010

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
OK just to clear things up, I do not have Salmonilla... lol I THOUGHT I had salmonilla. Turns out it was a virus because the rest of the family has it too now. Ohh and you do not have to touch their poop, stomp on it and all that crap to get salmonilla....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom