i have a zilla uvb but should i go ahead and run a reptisun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allaboutfish

Hatchling Member
i look on yahoo answers and someone said that reptisun will still produce uvb after 8 months and zilla stops at 4 months and i was going to replace every 6 months so should i just run both? i really hate how much reptisun costs though. any good sites that have it for under 60 dollars?

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
Hi I started with a zilla and decided to switch to reptisun tube after reading much debate an the zilla! Petmountian usually has reproduce for $25 6.99 shipping they have lots of good stuff much cheaper then chain pet stores

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Compacts are no good. I posted a link to an 18" Reptisun 10.0 in my previous reply. we buy our bulbs from LLLReptile.com, never had a problem with them.

allaboutfish

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
actually the 18 inch wont fit. why dont the compacts work? it's either the compacts or i have to use the zilla.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Because the compacts are harmful to their eyes. Why can't you use the 18" Reptisun? What does your lighting fixture look like?

allaboutfish

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
bc the fixture itself is 18 inches and the bulb is 16 inches i might could use my fish tank fixture and put my fixture on it and buy a reptisun.

thegreybush

Juvie Member
Compacts are not as good

This statement has beaten to death. :)

Because the compacts are harmful to their eyes.
4 years ago.

That's been debunked last year. we discussed this already. http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=147753

Really I use both types. I have one cage with a 24" reptiglow 10. and another with a 24" reptiglow 10. and a 36" reptiglow under a 48 hood, and I use the compact reptisun 10.0 coil lights in another cage with only improvements to report. I believe the tubes are better than the coils in how they release the light. But I don't believe for a second that you are going to make your beardie go blind with those any more. The cases that DID were small and few between. Make the decision that makes you feel good about what you did. :)

BSC

A Zilla bulb almost blinded my dragon and made her sick....just letting you know.

Never again wil I buy a Zilla bulb.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
thegreybush":26ged7as said:
Compacts are not as good

That's been debunked last year. we discussed this already. http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=147753

Really I use both types. I have one cage with a 24" reptiglow 10. and another with a 24" reptiglow 10. and a 36" reptiglow under a 48 hood, and I use the compact reptisun 10.0 coil lights in another cage with only improvements to report. I believe the tubes are better than the coils in how they release the light. But I don't believe for a second that you are going to make your beardie go blind with those any more. The cases that DID were small and few between. Make the decision that makes you feel good about what you did. :)

Debunked is a bit of a stretch...don't ya think? I haven't seen any significant test results for the supposed "new" batch of compact/coil lamps on the market. The only reliable numbers I have to go on are those based on tests from 2007, and all the results indicate compacts and coils are not nearly as fool proof as a reptisun tube. Their UVI to UVB ratio is too high, indicating their output consists of high energy shorter wavelength UVB...which is the type most responsible for eye and skin issues. Can these bulbs be used at all? Of course...if you know what your doing and keep the reptile a safe distance away. But when a vastly superior alternative exists on the market (Reptisun 10.0 tube), it doesn't make any sense to stand up and defend a compact lamp. You want to use one, feel free...but don't expect everyone to replicate your setup to the T. Just because its working for you, doesn't mean it isn't dangerous in the hands of a less experienced owner. Reptisun 10.0 tubes are virtually ***** proof. Even just a few inches away their UVI is very low.
Whenever the results of the most recent lamp survey get posted, things may change. But until then, I'm sticking with the data we have, and not anecdotes posted on a web forum.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
thegreybush":14c9vex7 said:
Compacts are not as good

This statement has beaten to death. :)

Because the compacts are harmful to their eyes.
4 years ago.

Just because they work for you doesn't mean that a less experienced person won't have troubles with them. I still do not recommend the coil bulbs, PERIOD. I don't care what study has been done, I know what it caused to one of my dragons and I will NOT use or recommend them. So Debunked...No, but discussed, yes.

Thanks Badcon. I agree with you.

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
Another main issue the compacts have is that they aren't large enough to provide UVB to 75% of an enclosure and their UVB output isn't high enough to work as a spot UVB source like MVBs are. By trying to get the light closer to allow more UVB at the basking spot you subject your dragon to the higher UVI levels that BadCon mentioned which is when you get eye and skin problems.

The Repti-Sun 18" bulb will fit in the current fixture you have as the bulbs themselves are not actually 18" they are made for an 18" fixture. However you can always go to any hardware store and purchase a fluorescent fixture that will accommodate any size bulb you buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom